The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2021, 11:10 AM   #26
Carl the Floor Walker

Not just for Pockets. Why anyone would use a pocket gun in a pocket while driving does not make sense. Learn to carry them and draw from different sources. There are pros and cons to both just like other methods of carry for all firearms. I personally like the extended magazine grip of the Pico and P32. Many think they are for gripping the gun but also they are VERY advantageous for quickly pulling the gun from a holster or IWB.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 7, 2021 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 7, 2021, 11:36 AM   #27
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metric View Post
Pocket carry is about the only thing that makes sense for a pocket pistol, unless you're up for very non-standard options like ankle carry (not for me). This is one reason I got rid of my 21A a long time ago. I eventually found that a good IWB rig was more all-around concealable and convenient than pocket carry. I still have some dedicated pocket pistols, but they get very little carry time.

My other reason for dropping the 21A was that it was about 98% reliable with the best ammo I could find. Somewhat short of confidence-inspiring.

The Beretta 71, though, was a completely different story. The most reliable 22 pistol I've ever encountered (sample size of three), and the size, while small and convenient for IWB carry, makes for wonderful handling and shooting qualities. Plus, they have a neat history as an actual combat pistol that did some very serious work.
Had a Beretta 70s and very foolishly traded it for one of the first Ruger P85s to hit the area.

All steel version of the 71 and was the only .22 auto pistol that I can't remember ever malfunctioning and I've had every Ruger Mark (I, II, III) except the last version. Rimfire ammo has a lot to do with a 22 auto pistol malfunctioning. Usually, in a quality weapon, it's not the fault of the pistol.

I think the open top slide of the 70s had a lot to do with it as it made the ubiquitous .22 stove pipe impossible....but it was the adjustable sight model and shot 6" high until I filed down the rear sight to get it regulated...

It's the firearm that I most wish I still had (among many

BTW, when someone says their 22 auto has a thousand rounds through it without a bobble, I take their claim with large doses of salt
Old May 7, 2021, 12:09 PM   #28
dyl

Quote:
I would like to know some opinions on how you would carry it. Or if you have one or a pistol of the same size how you carry it.
I mostly pocket carry these days. The more kids I have the less I carry inside the waistband.

I was gifted an Outside Waist Band leather holster by a good friend for a Kahr CM9. The CM9 is a pocket pistol, a bit bigger than a Bobcat. It's kind of funny, who would think to carry a pocket pistol OWB? The OWB holster rarely sees use but I have some pants and shorts that were not designed to carry much in the pockets. So OWB is pretty comfortable in those cases although not quite as easily concealed.

I use a Desantis Nemesis for pocket carry. It works, nothing special. I tried a thin black leather pocket holster from Daltech Force that covered the grip completely. I'm trying to remember why I stopped using it... I think it's generic design didn't let me grip the pistol with clearance and I became less worried about printing through the pocket. And I think the black dye was coming off.
Old May 7, 2021, 12:47 PM   #29
ThomasT

Quote:
My experience even with CCI Mini Mags is after a mag or two the cases swell up quickly and either stick while the next round tries to load or stays in the chamber. To get running again you haft to poke out the empty - Not a good thing in a situation.
Thats a new one on me. How do cases "swell" after you have shot a couple of mags through the gun?

Never had the 22lr version but I do have a 950BS that has been about as close to perfect as you can get as far as function goes. If and when I carry it it just gets dropped in the right front pocket or in the right rear pocket.
Old May 7, 2021, 01:15 PM   #30
Bill DeShivs

The safeties on the American-made Beretta pocket pistols are there because of lawyers. The original designs all had inertia firing pins and no safety.
Old May 7, 2021, 02:46 PM   #31
Dain Bramage

I have a Taurus PT22 Poly that I carry in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. It covers the trigger guard, but allows me to put my fingers around the grip to draw.

I used to have an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. It was more bag-like, and I'd have to grab the sides of the grip with my fingertips to draw. The fabric eventually lost its shape and would hang up on the rear sight. I got rid of it.
Old May 8, 2021, 12:50 AM   #32
Stiofan

I bought one back in the early 90s and have shot thousands of rounds through it and don't remember ever having a misfire or FTF. Usually carried it in a Desantis in my weak side front pocket, until I bought my LCP. I think I paid about $140 for it, I saw a new one at my LGS today, it was going for $389. Ouch!