The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 31, 2020, 11:22 PM   #1
TXAZ

Integrally Suppressed AR- any input?

A friend had a custom built AR -10 that was pretty nice.
Wondering what experience or recommendations any of you have Is such a rifle. (AR-15?or AR-10).

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 1, 2020, 06:47 AM   #2
Bartholomew Roberts

I have a couple of suppressed ARs; but not integrally suppressed. I’m not sure what the advantage to an integral suppressor would be in this circumstance.
Old August 1, 2020, 12:59 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Usually, when someone says "integrally suppressed" it means that the suppressor is made from the barrel, not attached to the barrel.

Its still a tube within a tube design, but the inner tube is the barrel itself. Advantages? No big, long, heavy thing hanging off the end of the barrel.

Disadvantages? its permanent (short of swapping out the barrel), so you no longer have the option of suppressed or non suppressed.

Also, I don't know how well it would work with multiple holes in the barrel itself, in high pressure rounds like .223 and .308.

Doing that with a Ruger 10/22 is one thing, doing it with a larger caliber might have issues I'm not familiar with.
Old August 1, 2020, 01:19 PM   #4
dogtown tom

Quote:
Bartholomew Roberts .....I’m not sure what the advantage to an integral suppressor would be in this circumstance.
The advantage are OAL and number of stamps required.

Standard 16" bbl + 7" silencer ......One $200 tax stamp
vs
SBR 11.5" bbl + 7" silencer.....Two $200 tax stamps
vs
16" Integrally silenced bbl......One $200 stamp

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old August 1, 2020, 02:46 PM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

Sure, if you do it as an SBR (I did) instead of a pistol. As 44 AMP alluded to, a lot of the original integrally suppressed weapons were in pistol calibers and used ports drilled in the barrel to slow down standard speed ammunition and make the weapon quieter. In an intermediate rifle caliber, that practice doesn’t really make sense and there doesn’t seem to be any technological edge.

And while I understand the appeal of fewer tax stamps, you can still do an AR pistol with a detachable suppressor you can use on other rifles as well.
Old August 2, 2020, 02:36 AM   #6
raimius

They can be a sleek package and reduce the number of tax stamps. You do lose versatility.
Old August 2, 2020, 08:14 AM   #7
9x19

IF-IF-IF you intend a single suppressed AR, integral would indeed save you a tax stamp over an SBR, BUT-BUT-BUT for every other upper you'd like to have that could use the same lower / silencer, then you are going the other way with too many tax stamps.

My Silencerco Omega 300 - one tax stamp
6.5 Grendel upper - no tax stamp
.300 AAC upper - no tax stamp
7.62x39 upper - no tax stamp
I could add:
6.8 SPC upper - no tax stamp
.300 Ham'r upper - no tax stamp
Old May 9, 2021, 06:27 PM   #8
mharpo

Daniel Defense makes one - DDM4-ISR. The very long suppressor is permanently attached to the barrel and avoids the SBR issues.
Old May 9, 2021, 10:27 PM   #9
Double Naught Spy

The advantage of integrally suppressed is that you have a shorter overall package. It may be lighter, due to barrel length loss that is replaced by suppressor length (which should weigh a bit less).

The down side is wearing out the barrel means having the suppressor repaired and the hassles that go with that in order to replace the barrel.

If you have an integrally suppressed AR15 and a skinny handguard, it can be hard to affix rails over the area where the suppressor is located. Also with a skinny handguard, when you heat up the suppressor, your hand holding the handguard can get very hot as your hand is very close (but not touching) the suppressor. The handguard can also get quite warm from radiant heat.

Integrally suppressed barrels have the potential to be quieter as they may afford more gas chamber and baffle area to catch gasses and noise. However, you can still never quiet the super sonic crack.