The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 25, 2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Bill Akins

Picked up this A.S.M. engraved, nickel, Sheriff's model yesterday

I saw this .36 cal, nickel, engraved, Armi San Marcos (A.S.M.) Sheriff's model, with original Traditions box, patches, balls and caps, on the Florida gun trader. I called the owner who lives in my same city and picked it up in person for $130.00 yesterday. I think I got a real good deal since I've seen these go for $275.00 on other auctions. Seller said it had only had five shots thru it and I believe him what with its excellent condition and excellent rifling and clean cylinder and chambers. I wasn't aware that Traditions had carried A.S.M. (who is out of business) in the past and thought they only carried Pietta and perhaps Uberti (but not positive about them carrying Uberti). But since the serial # on the box matches the one on the revolver, it is the correct box to the gun. A.S.M. has been out of business for awhile, so this must be an old safe queen. Anyone have any idea how old it might be and how long it's been since Traditions carried A.S.M.? Haven't shot it yet. I don't find deals like this everyday. Got lucky. Here's the pics.....

Continued next post.....

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 27, 2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old February 25, 2016, 04:49 PM   #2
Bill Akins

Continued from last post due to only 6 pics per post limit.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old February 25, 2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Hawg

At different times Traditions has sold Palmetto, ASM, Uberti and Pietta. Doesn't it have a date code on it?
Old February 25, 2016, 05:37 PM   #4
Bill Akins

Hawg, it has a BD in a square. I think that's the date code but not sure what date BD stands for.
Old February 25, 2016, 05:39 PM   #5
BlackPowderBen

Long time no see Bill! That's a great looking gun!! I saw one recently for sale but the deal fell through. Let us know how it shoots!
By the way, do you still upload videos on your youtube channel?
Old February 25, 2016, 05:45 PM   #6
noelf2

BD is 1994
Old February 25, 2016, 06:55 PM   #7
Bill Akins

Quote:
BlackPowderBen wrote: Long time no see Bill! That's a great looking gun!! I saw one recently for sale but the deal fell through. Let us know how it shoots!
By the way, do you still upload videos on your youtube channel?
Hi BP Ben. Just been busy and haven't been posting much. Glad you like the gun. It is a sweet little jewel. I'll let y'all know how it shoots when I get a chance to shoot it, hopefully soon. Occasionally I upload videos to my YouTube channel. Haven't done any lately. The last one was my special butt forward spin draw from the holster of my 1860 Pietta Colt clones.

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 25, 2016 at 09:51 PM.
Old February 25, 2016, 06:58 PM   #8
Bill Akins

Quote:
Noelf2 wrote: BD is 1994
Thanks Noelf2 for letting me know that. So my A.S.M. is 22 years old.

Old February 25, 2016, 07:18 PM   #9
Bishop Creek

Italian date codes:

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o.../DateCodes.jpg
Old February 25, 2016, 07:33 PM   #10
Bill Akins

Thanks Bishop Creek. I used to have that listing but lost it. Saved yours to my documents for later reference. Thanks again.

Old February 25, 2016, 07:53 PM   #11
Bishop Creek

You bet Bill!
Old February 25, 2016, 08:06 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sure is purdy.
Old February 25, 2016, 09:46 PM   #13
Bill Akins

Thanks Gary, glad you like it. You know me, I like my BP revolvers shiny. Who was it....was it Hawg, or Doc Hoy that once said here that I like all my BP guns shining like a ruby stuck in a goat's ass? Lol. You here Doc? How ya doin? Built any new Springfield trap doors lately? I'm still using that homemade measure and homemade bore butter you sent me. Good stuff.

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 26, 2016 at 03:45 AM.
Old February 26, 2016, 12:23 AM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
was it Hawg, or Doc Hoy that once said here that I like all my BP guns shining like a ruby stuck in a goat's ass?
Must have been Doc. I'm not that articulate.
Old February 26, 2016, 01:47 AM   #15
drobs

That's a real nice looking gun!
Old February 26, 2016, 03:47 AM   #16
Bill Akins

Tks Drobs

Old February 26, 2016, 05:45 AM   #17
hartcreek

Check the sight blade to make sure it is in solid so that when you drop it the blade does not plop out. I lost the blade on my 1860 ASM and finding a stainless replacement.......I gave up.

My gun shoots fine without the blade. THe problem I am having finding one is the thickness. I just havent found stainless or brass that is close enough to start and Numrich only has blued.

Last edited by hartcreek; February 27, 2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old February 26, 2016, 02:22 PM   #18
Bill Akins

Quote:
Hartcreek wrote: Check the sight blade to make sure it is in solid so that when you drop it the blade does not plop out. I lost the blade on my 1860 ASM and finding a stainless replacement.......I gave up.
The sight blade on mine is tightly attached Hartcreek. Don't give up on yours, it's easy to make one. I've made front sight blades and rear sight blades from scrap metal. Since yours is stainless, just get yourself a piece of stainless steel that is close to, or slightly over the thickness of the front sight groove that you currently have on your barrel. Then cut it out with a dremel, a mill, a jigsaw, etc, then simply hand file it to shape the rest of the way. Check it frequently for fit until it tightly fits the groove. Leave it a little high so you can file it down to point of aim.

Then using a propane torch, melt some silver solder also known as "hard solder" (not electrical solder that's too soft) into the barrel's groove and "tin" the bottom of your newly made front sight with the hard solder too. Then heat both up again at the same time and while the solder is molten, press the front sight firmly into the groove and let the solder cool. Then file off any excess solder. That's it. Pretty easy fix.

Don't use JB weld epoxy to attach it, it won't work and will come off the first time you shoot it because the hard solder will give and stretch a bit when the round goes down the barrel without letting go, but the JB weld or any epoxy will not give at all and is brittle and will crack and break instead of flexing. I found this out when I had to reattach a half moon front sight to one of my 1917 S&W's that had the barrel cut down to a snubby. Tried JB weld epoxy at first, sight flew off first time I fired it. Finally welded it on.

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 26, 2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old March 13, 2021, 10:30 PM   #19
ZennaFlen

I juet bought one of these

Hello all(:

I know this thread is extremely old, but I just bought one of these guns. Is it worth keeping? My gun is the exact one that what mentioned here but without a box. Will it be a good collectable that will go up in price?

Thank You!
Old March 14, 2021, 12:43 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZennaFlen View Post
Hello all(:

I know this thread is extremely old, but I just bought one of these guns. Is it worth keeping? My gun is the exact one that what mentioned here but without a box. Will it be a good collectable that will go up in price?

Thank You!
Not enough to make it a worthwhile investment. With the brass frame it's not even a good shooter unless you just like very light loads.
Old March 15, 2021, 06:06 PM   #21
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you want to make money, buy silver, not guns.

You've a real nice gun ZeenaFlen. If you shoot it, keep the powder charge low - 20 grains FF max.
Old April 12, 2021, 04:00 AM   #22
Bill Akins

ZeenaFlen Both of ours are brass frames. Brass frames are much softer than steel frames and can stretch and deform if loaded with too hot of a powder charge. I shoot no more than 15 grains of black powder in my .36 caliber brass frames (which both your's and mine are here in this thread) and no more than 22 grains of black powder in my .44 caliber brass frames. Those are light enough loads to still get the job done but a little below what some others might shoot. Like 4v50 Gary told you to shoot no more than 20 grains maximum in your .36 caliber brass frame, but mostly I shoot my black powder at targets and not for hunting, so I load mine down even further. That way I never have to worry about the brass frames stretching or deforming. It's a whole different loading ball game with steel frames. For instance, a steel frame in .44 caliber can be safely loaded with 40 grains of black powder. And I sometimes use that load in one of my steel frame .44's. While I only load 22 grains of black powder in my brass frame .44's.

Oh, one other thing. On my 1860 Pietta reproduction .44 caliber nickel plated ones with gold plated cylinders, when I fired one of them a few times, the gold plating on the front and side edges of the cylinder started flaking off. I contacted Pietta about that and they said that most people don't even shoot the ones gold plated like that and just keep them for collectable purposes and conversation pieces. But they did send me a free solid cylinder that was gold plated because that's all they had in stock at the time even though my cylinder was fluted. But I just kept that cylinder with the rest of the gun's accessories and never fired it on the gun and instead bought two fluted, stainless steel cylinders from Cabela's and use them on both my nickeled Pietta .44's and they work great and I don't have to worry about any gold or nickel plating flaking off. I still haven't fired my .36 caliber one in this thread yet and here it is 2021, five years after I started this thread! And I don't intend to fire it unless I can find a fluted stainless steel cylinder for it like I found for my .44's because I don't want to take the chance that the nickel plating might start flaking off the front and front side edges like happened to my gold plated .44 cylinders. So far I haven't seen any .36 caliber stainless ones at Cabela's or elsewhere. But hopefully I'll find one one day. If not, I could always get a non plated blued one either fluted or solid and use that to avoid flaking off any nickel from the one that's on it currently. I would keep your gun, it is a beauty and just like mine, and if you have other blue or stainless black powder guns, there's really no need to shoot it. It is a beautiful piece, like a piece of jewelry. No need to degrade or take the chance the nickel might flake off of it by shooting it unless you use either a blued steel or stainless steel cylinder in it for shooting. Keep it. Or if not, hey....sell it to me! Seriously. I wouldn't mind having a matched set. If you decide to sell it, contact me at [email protected]
Rats, darn thing underlined my whole email hiding the fact that there is an underscore mark between my last and first name and there are no spaces in my email. Just be aware that it is Akins and then the underscore mark _ and then Bill @yahoo.com

Last edited by Bill Akins; April 13, 2021 at 12:49 AM.
Old April 12, 2021, 08:19 AM   #23
2wheelwander

Glad I clicked on this. An elderly friend gave me one of these. He really liked black powder guns, just didn't shoot them. While it was NIB, the finish is falling off and work. Its never been shot, I just think it wasn't stored well. Not being a black powder guy I didn't know what it was. Recently bought some FF and FFF powder to shoot some of the things he has passed along. This is not one I plan on shooting though.

ZennaFlen if you shoot yours, please post up your impressions!
Old April 12, 2021, 11:08 AM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

I hope you guys have good luck with them. I have no personal experience with Armi San Marcos black powder guns.

Do have a little experience with their "Schofield" in .45Colt. The gun was as new, and beautiful. Really looked sweet.

operationally, it was crap. Tested with standard 45 colt ammo.

The gun misfired, and came OPEN at least once every cylinder full.

I will not pay for any Armi San Marcos gun, and if given one, I'd hang it on the wall.

I hope your experience is better, mine was entirely unsatisfacory.
Old April 13, 2021, 12:57 AM   #25
Bill Akins

Sorry you had that negative experience 44 AMP. But maybe you just got a "lemon" and maybe all their Schofields weren't like that. You said when you got it that it was "as new", so I assume you bought it used. Perhaps there were issues with it and that's why the seller sold it. If it were mine, I wouldn't give up on it and would either take it apart myself to try to diagnose and fix the problems, or have a competent gunsmith look at it. You know how it is with anything, sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.