The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Is you most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?
Yes 42 49.41%
No 43 50.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 4, 2021, 12:37 PM   #51
Moonglum

In theory the OP isn't wrong. Unfortunately, real life often gets in the way. I'm far more likely to be caught carrying a gun in an NPE (and suffer consequences for it) than I am to need a gun to defend myself.

When I'm on my time I usually carry a Glock 19 and two reloads but I didn't have to change my normal wardrobe to accommodate that.

I now work in an NPE with absolutely ZERO tolerance for even having a handgun in your car on company property. The punishment is automatic immediate termination with no exceptions on the first offense.

The job pays pretty close to double what I was making previously and there's no way I'm going to risk that trying to sneak a Glock 19 into the facility.

I think you should carry the biggest gun you can reasonably conceal but I also think the emphasis needs to be on R E A S O N A B L Y
Old May 4, 2021, 12:43 PM   #52
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
He posts this same thread over and over and over and over and over all over the Internet
Nah, not really.
Did TFL get my concealed carry rubric thread? No.
Did TFL get my I like concealed carry thread? No.

You're welcome.
Old May 4, 2021, 06:48 PM   #53
Kreyzhorse

I said yes, but it's prob 75 to 25%. My M&P 40 is my usual companion. When it isn't, the LCP fits the role. I feel fine with the LCP, but if I knew I needed a gun, the M&P would be it.
Old May 5, 2021, 05:30 AM   #54
jetinteriorguy

I would prefer to defend myself with my sub machine gun, but since it doesn’t fit in my pants I’ll have to stick with my Lc9s.
Old May 5, 2021, 06:07 AM   #55
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonglum View Post
In theory the OP isn't wrong. Unfortunately, real life often gets in the way. I'm far more likely to be caught carrying a gun in an NPE (and suffer consequences for it) than I am to need a gun to defend myself.

When I'm on my time I usually carry a Glock 19 and two reloads but I didn't have to change my normal wardrobe to accommodate that.

I now work in an NPE with absolutely ZERO tolerance for even having a handgun in your car on company property. The punishment is automatic immediate termination with no exceptions on the first offense.

The job pays pretty close to double what I was making previously and there's no way I'm going to risk that trying to sneak a Glock 19 into the facility.

I think you should carry the biggest gun you can reasonably conceal but I also think the emphasis needs to be on R E A S O N A B L Y
Not all that different from myself, you probably just make a lot more money.
19 years I worked where carry was a felony (schools).
When I was not at work I carried, as you do.
Work aint a factor now.
It is easy for me to conceal / carry a Glock 23 + spare mag wherever and that is my whatever shirt gun; with a suitable shirt, Glock 20SF or 35.
Old May 5, 2021, 05:04 PM   #56
ss1/G8RFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKG View Post
Given a choice, I would prefer to defend myself with a rifle or a shotgun. Either can be, among other things, a bit cumbersome to carry everywhere and every day. If confined to a handgun, then yes, I would prefer one of the pistols I carry every day.
This. Defensively, I would prefer a lightweight carbine in almost any situation but unless trouble comes knocking on my door, it really isnt likely. Otherwise, I would prefer my G19 over my LCP, but I can't always carry the G19.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:08 AM   #57
Don Fischer

I said yes though it is no where near my favorite. I'm a DA revolver fan but seem's to me in a defense more few extra shors and fast reload with my carry gun counts for a lot. Also the carry gun is small and light and almost like not having a gun on at all. To get close to that with a DA revolver I'd have to go something like a detective special and I don't like them at all. Some guns were made to carry concealed and some were not.
Old May 9, 2021, 09:40 AM   #58
KyJim

My preferred pistol is a 1911 in .45 acp. But I find myself more often these days carrying my Kahr or Shield, both in 9mm.
Old May 9, 2021, 12:19 PM   #59
ScottOh

Yes...I’m not a gun collector or hunter, every pistol I own was purchased on the premise that it would be carried and could be used to defend life.

I’ve been blessed to be able have a variety of defensive firearms to chose from; and that choice, is usually dictated by environment and weather.

90% of the time that will be a commander 1911 or beretta centurion both in 9mm. Large guns are easy to conceal with normal clothes IF your willing to buy top quality holsters and belts.

However, as some have stated, life dictates a s&w 442 or shield from time to time, and I am just as comfortable with these as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 10, 2021, 08:09 PM   #60
WheelGunMan

I prefer to carry what is the easiest concealed, what feels comfortable in the hand, what points the easiest, what I've trained with a lot and what I shoot the most accurate. Because when things go south...I want the advantage.
Old May 13, 2021, 03:44 PM   #61
Brit

We have lived in Orlando since 2004. Transplants from UK/Canada both my wife and I of 28 years. I with a first wife spent 3 years in Australia.

In my last 5 years in Liverpool UK, as a part-time Bouncer in Night Clubs. I was in countless fights. I was never hit, not once.

Being as I am a chatty Chap, these fights tend to get talked about. The average American male has never been in a violent fight as an adult. Just the way it is?
Liverpool UK, the early 60s, not like that.
On my last day in England, I was in an altercation, on a train, on our way to the port where we were embarking to Australia. My first week in Sydney, I was in a fight in a Pub, after attending, and getting 4 jobs!

I feel fistfight experience is great training for gunfights!
I maybe will add some to this bit of a rambling story in a while, off to supper.
Old May 13, 2021, 05:18 PM   #62
ammo.crafter

Just 1

Hi-Power
Old May 14, 2021, 04:32 AM   #63
hammer_jockey_91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
Of the concealable handguns owned, is the one carried most a handgun that would be preferred to defend yourself? If not, why not. (Maybe work clothes)

For example, if I had to defend myself with a handgun my 1st pick would be either a Glock 20SF or 35.
However, my most frequently carried handgun is a Glock 23.
Although it is 2nd pick, Glock 23 still qualifies as a handgun I'd prefer in hand to defend myself.

Note:
This is a discussion of handguns, not rifles or shotguns.
In this thread, handguns like full size 1911's or a Glock 17 (examples) are concealable.
i carry my redhawk model 5050 everywhere, that is the gun i shoot best, carry best, draw best, and its the one gun that plays a strong role in any situation. 45acp moon clips for quicker reloading in more urban situations, hot loaded 45 colt rounds for the wilderness, light loads for small game, even 22 caliber inserts for.......the hell of it actually.
but there is a catch.
its a 3lb gun. on days that i have to do some house work, most recent example is dealing with my water heater, taking it in and out. on days like that, with strenuous labor, my back starts to hurt, because of all the weight concentrated in one spot. so for the next few days i would carry a glock 26 in its place. but i dont shoot it as fast, accurate, draw it as well nor does it feel as natural. now, ive set the glock up to mimick the redhawk as well as possible. by having ruger tune the trigger weight on my redhawk to match the glock trigger, both use ghost ring sights. but back to the point, for the most part, yes. i carry the gun i would be most qualified to defend myself with
Six rounds. No compromise.
Old May 14, 2021, 05:12 PM   #64
Kevin Rohrer

I prefer to defend myself w/ a major caliber rifle, but will settle for an M1 Carbine.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old May 14, 2021, 07:13 PM   #65
claydoctor

Appendix carry or 4 o'clock?
Old May 17, 2021, 01:45 PM   #66
Moonglum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
In my last 5 years in Liverpool UK, as a part-time Bouncer in Night Clubs. I was in countless fights. I was never hit, not once.
Then you weren't fighting anyone who knew how to fight
Old May 18, 2021, 10:21 AM   #67
gwpercle

This must be some kind of "Trick" question !

Strangest poll I've ever seen ...
It's Like ... if you can't be with the one you love ... should you love the one your with ...
Trick Question ! Trick Question !!
Gary
Old May 18, 2021, 11:17 AM   #68
Reloadron

Is your most carried handgun one you would prefer to defend yourself with?

Uh yes.

Ron
Old May 18, 2021, 11:26 AM   #69
Pistoler0

I think that the OP's question is really interesting. It made me re-examine my (small) gun collection.

In my case, as I live in the Colorado mountains, self defense includes protection from 4-legged critters.

So the gun I would rather use in self defense is my Glock 21 loaded with 15 rds of .45 Super in an extended capacity mag.

For EDC I choose a DA/SA in 9mm with a thumb safety that locks the action when the hammer is down, as I carry AIWB and I am most comfortable with this configuration. The pistol is a 13 rd EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Polymer Compact, which is very reliable and shoots well.

I still carry the Glock from time to time. Conveniently, I can use the same IWB holsters with both of those pistols.

When deep concealment is necessary (such as when I need to wear business casual clothes for work with a tucked in dress shirt) I carry in a SmartCarry pouch holster. In this case it is always the EAA because I need to reach deep in the pants, well below the belt line, to draw the pistol and the DA/SA gives me added piece of mind.

Otherwise I carry AIWB with a hybrid holster and the gun grip is above the belt line. In these situations I sometimes carry the Glock.

Last edited by Pistoler0; May 18, 2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old May 18, 2021, 11:50 AM   #70
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
I was in countless fights. I was never hit, not once. [...] The average American male has never been in a violent fight as an adult. Just the way it is?
Liverpool UK, the early 60s, not like that.

I feel fistfight experience is great training for gunfights!
LOL really?
That must be why the Chinese military is always showcasing their recruits doing fancy martial arts moves, punching and kicking!.
Chinese military martial arts
I guess you'd think our militaries (US and UK), as we don't practice such shenanigans, are at a disadvantage with them?

I don't know about Liverpool but here in the US it is better not to get in silly fist fights unless wanting a gun shoved in the face and/or an arrest record. Not to mention that violent misdemeanor or felony charges from such fist fights will prevent someone from possessing the firearm that could save their life!

How many fist fights have you been in since you are in the US?

Yeah, you said it well: "The average American male has never been in a violent fight as an adult".
You know why? Because fist fights are for kids.

"An armed society is a polite society" - Robert A. Heinlein

Last edited by Pistoler0; May 18, 2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 19, 2021, 05:57 AM   #71
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
This must be some kind of "Trick" question !

Strangest poll I've ever seen ...
It's Like ... if you can't be with the one you love ... should you love the one your with ...
Trick Question ! Trick Question !!
Gary
LOL. No, its not a trick question.

Simple hypothetical example: Someone owns a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCP 380.
They shoot the Glock 19 the best and would prefer it in hand if they had to defend themself.
Couple of different possibilities:
-They carry the 380 the most but its because its the best they can do required to wear "business casual" (tucked shirt) for work all week. Understandable.
-They can dress however they want but choose the 380 more because its less effort, or because of low "anticipated threat"; 9mm carried in areas of greater perceived threat.

Thread is a futile attempt to get those in the 2nd category to ponder / reflect on that choice. (Futile not naïve)
People content in the 2nd category likely to mention rifle/shotgun despite it not being an option, specified in OP.
Old May 19, 2021, 06:01 AM   #72
CDW4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
I think that the OP's question is really interesting. It made me re-examine my (small) gun collection.

In my case, as I live in the Colorado mountains, self defense includes protection from 4-legged critters.

So the gun I would rather use in self defense is my Glock 21 loaded with 15 rds of .45 Super in an extended capacity mag.

For EDC I choose a DA/SA in 9mm with a thumb safety that locks the action when the hammer is down, as I carry AIWB and I am most comfortable with this configuration. The pistol is a 13 rd EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Polymer Compact, which is very reliable and shoots well.

I still carry the Glock from time to time. Conveniently, I can use the same IWB holsters with both of those pistols.

When deep concealment is necessary (such as when I need to wear business casual clothes for work with a tucked in dress shirt) I carry in a SmartCarry pouch holster. In this case it is always the EAA because I need to reach deep in the pants, well below the belt line, to draw the pistol and the DA/SA gives me added piece of mind.

Otherwise I carry AIWB with a hybrid holster and the gun grip is above the belt line. In these situations I sometimes carry the Glock.
OP thinks you are doing well, if that matters.
Smartcarry works, I've got one.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:00 AM   #73
Carl the Floor Walker

The gun I walk out the door with is the gun I Prefer, otherwise I would not carry it. And I am totally confident in my ability to shoot it well and shoot it fast. Does not matter if it is a small 380 or 5 shot revolver.
That said, on the days when I go out to face down a gang of cartel Sicarios, I usually bring along another weapon. But that is not my usual standard Every day carry.

Train with the gun you do EDC with diligence, Frequent, moderate training/Practice. More rounds and a larger gun are not the answer to practical EDC. Gain the confidence with the gun you do carry. Again, the gun YOU choose to carry Every Day.
Old May 19, 2021, 04:09 PM   #74
mrt949

How many have you ever been in a shoot out where you needed a reload ?
Leo's And Military excluded .
Old May 19, 2021, 05:03 PM   #75
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt949 View Post
How many have you ever been in a shoot out where you needed a reload ?
Leo's And Military excluded .

Not sure where you’re going with this but should I or should I not take it like you’re basically saying I’m wasting my time carrying a spare mag, worrying about how small my pistol is for ammo capacity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk