The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 24, 2021, 02:14 AM   #26
hemiram

I'm pretty sure the old crabby guy hasn't been at EAA for a while now. Last time I dealt with them, I spoke to a very nice woman and had my parts in a couple of days.
Old April 24, 2021, 04:29 AM   #27
TruthTellers

Besides the Beretta 92, what semi auto DA/SA's were selling at such a pace before the panic buying last year that showed there is much demand for a new DA/SA to come to market, let alone one in 10mm?

The 10mm may be resurging, but other than some 1911's, the industry is painfully slow in bringing new pistols in the chambering to market. Seems the industry is more interested in making pistols in 5.7mm, not 10mm.
Old April 24, 2021, 01:49 PM   #28
bac1023

Quote:
I'd just like to point out that it wasn't long ago that the Internet Wisdom seemed to be that Colt's would never be able to make new Pythons.

And yet they are, with reviews seeming to be favorable.

So don't give up all hope on the B-10 resurrection.

Bart Noir
They aren’t making the Python. They introduced a new revolver and gave it the same name. It’s completely different
Old April 25, 2021, 08:02 AM   #29
CajunBass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Cool pistols. I've got a couple unfired in the box

Considering what they're selling for now, they will stay unfired.
Now who else do I know of, besides Bac who could say this?

No one. That's who.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 25, 2021, 10:34 PM   #30
Bart Noir

Quote:
They aren’t making the Python. They introduced a new revolver and gave it the same name. It’s completely different
Well, yes, it is a new revolver. Improved and better suited to modern manufacturing methods and limitations.

But any new pistol called the Bren Ten will also be improved and better suited to modern manufacturing methods and limitations. Heck, Computer Numerical Controlled (CNC) machining didn't even exist when the Python assembly line was set up.

My point is that it could happen that Bren Tens are born again.

Bart Noir
Who meant that "limitations" means lack of experienced and affordable workers to hand fit Python components.
Old April 26, 2021, 05:17 AM   #31
bac1023

Quote:
Well, yes, it is a new revolver. Improved and better suited to modern manufacturing methods and limitations.

But any new pistol called the Bren Ten will also be improved and better suited to modern manufacturing methods and limitations. Heck, Computer Numerical Controlled (CNC) machining didn't even exist when the Python assembly line was set up.

My point is that it could happen that Bren Tens are born again.

Bart Noir
“Improved” would be a matter of opinion. Is it stronger? Yes it most definitely is, but so is a Ruger GP100.

My point is that Colt building a new revolver and calling it a Python has nothing to do with another company resurrecting the Bren Ten. Unlike Colt, D&D is long out of business. It’s apples and oranges.
Old April 27, 2021, 03:31 PM   #32
Webleymkv

Will Don Johnson even be using a Bren Ten in this show? IIRC, he only used one for the first and second season of the original show and then switched to a S&W 645 for seasons three and four before finally using a S&W 4506 in the fifth (and final) season. In the video the OP linked, he seems to be using a 1911 variant of some type in the one and only scene he's holding a gun. Also, Colin Farrell's portrayal of the character in the 2006 film used a somewhat exotic 1911 variant as his primary handgun.

Considering that the premise of the show is older characters coming out of retirement decades later, a 1911 might better fit the type of character they're trying to portray (similar to the .38 Super Don Johnson used in Nash Bridges).
Old April 27, 2021, 03:43 PM   #33
Jim Watson

Quote:
Unlike Colt, D&D is long out of business.
Colt, like most of the other well known gun companies, has changed hands so many times that there is nothing left but the trademark.

I think that if the New Bren Ten followed the Voit redesign, it would be a better gun and let the Franklin Mint types complain about its lack of originality.
Old April 27, 2021, 06:26 PM   #34
bac1023

True Jim, it would be improved. The D&D model had its issues.

Not sure it’s going to happen at this point. Colt brought back their own revolver (albeit much different). To me that’s different than another company making a copy of a long discontinued pistol from a long dead company.

Colt is still Colt, regardless of its checkered history
Old April 27, 2021, 07:19 PM   #35
RickB

Quote:
Will Don Johnson even be using a Bren Ten in this show? IIRC, he only used one for the first and second season of the original show and then switched to a S&W 645 for seasons three and four before finally using a S&W 4506 in the fifth (and final) season. In the video the OP linked, he seems to be using a 1911 variant of some type in the one and only scene he's holding a gun. Also, Colin Farrell's portrayal of the character in the 2006 film used a somewhat exotic 1911 variant as his primary handgun.
In the TV show pilot, Sonny carried a SIG P220, I think? Then the Bren, followed by S&W.
Interestingly, the shoulder rig worn with the Bren Ten was made by Ted Blocker, and Galco got on board only when the gun changed to a S&W. Ted Blocker still has the Bren Ten mock-up sent to them by the studio, and will make the '80s version of the shoulder holster and harness on request.
I know they sold a few, circa 2009, when the Vltor Fortis/Bren Ten appeared to be on the verge of release.