The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 24, 2021, 01:26 PM   #1
Joh

Ar

A man I know has a ar 223 for sale. He is asking 400.00 for it. In very good condition. Is that a good price? Smith and Wesson

Last edited by Joh; August 24, 2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old August 24, 2021, 02:20 PM   #2
Hawg

A very good price. They're running over 700 new. There are two versions. The original sport that doesn't have a dust cover or a forward assist and the sport II which has both but either is worth the money.
Old August 24, 2021, 04:20 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

good price, if your wanting an AR, get it
Old August 24, 2021, 06:30 PM   #4
kymasabe

For $400, I'd jump right on it.
Old August 24, 2021, 07:10 PM   #5
Super Sneaky Steve

I would want to know if it's chambered for 223 Wylde, 223 Remington or 5.56x45.

I would also like to know what features it has such as buttstock, grip, handguard, gas block, muzzle device, sights and twist.

Ask him about round count too.

If you can handle it take out the BCG and extend the bolt, stand it on end and see if it holds. Then push the bolt in and hold it by the bolt and see if it slides down. If it doesn't move the seals are still good. If it does then look for replacement parts.
Old August 24, 2021, 09:06 PM   #6
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I would want to know if it's chambered for 223 Wylde, 223 Remington or 5.56x45.

I would also like to know what features it has such as buttstock, grip, handguard, gas block, muzzle device, sights and twist.

Ask him about round count too.

If you can handle it take out the BCG and extend the bolt, stand it on end and see if it holds. Then push the bolt in and hold it by the bolt and see if it slides down. If it doesn't move the seals are still good. If it does then look for replacement parts.
Honestly at $400 I would not care. He said s&w so probably a sport chambered 5.56. Good gun for the money. Gas seals are a cheap easy replacement, $10 tops. Nothing to haggle over
Old August 24, 2021, 09:34 PM   #7
Hawg

I paid 800.00 for mine new about 6 months ago. I did get a soft case, 5 Magpul Pmags and 100 rounds of Norma ammo with it tho. I didn't do anything to it but add a red dot and a sling.

Old August 24, 2021, 10:20 PM   #8
doofus47

If you go the steel-cased route, you might also consider buying extra strength hammer springs. And/or an extended length firing pin. Deep and wide feed ramps are also good.
Old August 24, 2021, 11:00 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

right now it seems the steel cased .223 is going to be irrelevant in the near future, probably for some time...
Old August 25, 2021, 12:23 AM   #10
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofus47 View Post
If you go the steel-cased route, you might also consider buying extra strength hammer springs. And/or an extended length firing pin. Deep and wide feed ramps are also good.
Mine runs steel fine as it is.
Old August 25, 2021, 05:26 AM   #11
kymasabe

I'm with 44AMP on this one.
You can forget about steel cased ammo for a while. If you don't have some already, you likely won't be seeing it again anytime soon, at least not imported from Russia.
Old August 25, 2021, 12:50 PM   #12
HiBC

The value is there. Its a good buy.

I'd consider what it is you are looking for. If that configuration suits you, go for it.

If you are considering reconfiguring it to something it is not,such as a free float,railed forend SPR , I'd suggest holding off and buying one configured the way you like.

Spare yourself "The devil in the details"
Old August 25, 2021, 04:04 PM   #13
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
Honestly at $400 I would not care. He said s&w so probably a sport chambered 5.56. Good gun for the money. Gas seals are a cheap easy replacement, $10 tops. Nothing to haggle over
I'm sure it's still a good deal, but I would still want to know the details.

It's jut hard to say if it's good or not without knowing anything about it. Some guns I see on gunbroker are beat up garbage.
Old August 25, 2021, 05:57 PM   #14
JustJake

Quote:
A man I know has a ar 223 for sale. He is asking 400.00 for it. In very good condition. Is that a good price? Smith and Wesson.

$400 smackers says: "this here AR I'm sellin' has issues." Smart cookies don't buy ARs with issues. Plus, it's a S&W, not a Colt, LMT, or other Top Tier 5.5.6 AR maker. So there's that ....

Tell the seller guy: "Look dude, for $400 I get to run 500-rds of ammo thru it first to 'test' it. If there's no functional issues, we've got a deal. But if it hiccups or malfs, no deal."

If the seller guy balks, be prepared to walk, which is what smart-n-savvy cookies do in AR-Landia.

You can thank me later.
Old August 25, 2021, 06:25 PM   #15
jmr40

Quote:
Look dude, for $400 I get to run 500-rds of ammo thru it first to 'test
At todays prices that makes it a $750 gun. Just buy it. If it has issues sell it or fix it. AR's are pretty modular, any defective parts can easily be replaced

Winston Churchill
Old August 25, 2021, 08:12 PM   #16
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
At todays prices that makes it a $750 gun. Just buy it. If it has issues sell it or fix it. AR's are pretty modular, any defective parts can easily be replaced
This^^^^. I very seriously doubt it has issues. S&W AR's may not be top tier but they're really good guns.
Old August 26, 2021, 05:46 AM   #17
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
This^^^^. I very seriously doubt it has issues. S&W AR's may not be top tier but they're really good guns.
..what Hawg said.
I've never even heard of a problem with S&W ARs unless previous owner started monkeying around with it. If still stock, should be a fine gun after a thorough cleaning. And if for any reason there IS a problem, there are enough parts out there and enough collective knowledge here to get it straightened out.
Alternative: For $450 plus FFL fees you can buy a brand new PSA complete upper and lower and pin them together.
Old August 26, 2021, 09:36 AM   #18
Joh

Well I'll get the gun Friday well see how it turns out.
Old August 26, 2021, 08:54 PM   #19
JustJake

Quote:
good price, if your wanting an AR, get it
Ah yeah, no ...
Old August 26, 2021, 09:41 PM   #20
Super Sneaky Steve

I'm surprised how great the appraisers are on this site. Without knowing a thing about it or even having a picture everyone knows how much it's worth.
Old August 26, 2021, 10:32 PM   #21
HiBC

I'd be interested in hearing specific details about what the smart and savvy AR cookie has to say about the alleged shortcomings of a S+W AR.

I'm talking verifiable shortcomings in metallurgy,heat treat,anodizing ,measured and verified dimensional problems,etc.

I understand up front some models might be offered without forward assist or dust covers. IMO,thats a burger king option. Hold the pickle. I don't want a pickle. Just want to ride on my motorcycle.

Seriously,those features are debateable. I prefer to have them,but you can see them before you buy. Its not hidden.

Without specifics,I suspect the "defects" might be largely hooey.
Old August 27, 2021, 05:39 AM   #22
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
I'm surprised how great the appraisers are on this site. Without knowing a thing about it or even having a picture everyone knows how much it's worth.
I'm admittedly a bit of a risk taker. Sure, I'd look the gun over, but if it looked decent, I'd roll the dice and risk $400. If it turned out bad, I'd strip the receivers and start over, lick my wounds and move on.
Is why I also mentioned that a brand new PSA for $450 is another option.
Old August 27, 2021, 07:10 AM   #23
GarandTd

Before Covid, these could be had for $500 new if you found a sale. I don't find the the $400 price tag to be a red flag, necessarily. Sounds like a good deal, but regardless of price, I'd want to see it first before buying.
Old August 27, 2021, 07:18 AM   #24
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJake View Post
Ah yeah, no ...
Why is it not?
Old August 27, 2021, 08:12 AM   #25
Screwball

If it is the original Sport (no forward assist or dust cover), it likely has that 1:8”, 5R barrel. Those are nice.

And for the comment about 500 rounds… you likely can figure if there is anything wrong with it in 90. And if it is an unmolested S&W, any issues will be squared away with a trip to the factory. ARs are not a hard gun to work on… so it would be easier for them to deal with than a revolver.

OP, hopefully it is a good buy for you. Let us know.