The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 10, 2021, 07:04 PM   #1
stagpanther

More on Cutting Edge CURX 22lr bullets

Been experimenting with them for about a month now and have learned some lessons--including a couple of hard ones as well.

These are not bullets for your every-day 22lr rifle. While the 32 gr one is listed as being useable with a conventional 1:16 common production barrel; my personal opinion is the dimensions of the solid bullet will give you unsatisfactory results in a bore that was intended for lead bullets, which is the vast majority of production rifles. Upon downloading the loading formulas, I noticed the load data for both the 42 gr and 50 gr bullets are tested in "custom" rifle. The COL is beyond what any production barrel I know of can accomodate--even my limited production 1:9 twist Lilja barrel cannot properly accommodate either bullet due to it's freebore length. I have chambered the 42 gr and shot it, but I suspect the short throat is most likely pushing the bullet's drive band down into the neck upon closing the bolt, which opens the door to pressure variations and even the possibility of blowing the case up (which I've already done). I think the 32 gr bullets will work just fine, though, in the Lilja barrel.

I called Cutting Edge and they more or less agreed with my observation that there is a significant difference in a bore designed for impressing soft lead into the rifling and one that works well with their solids. The ideal barrel--which is what they used for their 42 and 50 gr bullets tests-- is a custom action that uses a special-ordered Bartlein 1:6 twist barrel. I'm going to see if they might send me copies of the chamber specifications, right off the bat I know it must have a longer freebore.
Old August 11, 2021, 09:49 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Let us know what you learn from that. Maybe compare it to the SAAMI chamber drawings in their rimfire standard.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 11, 2021, 08:08 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
Let us know what you learn from that. Maybe compare it to the SAAMI chamber drawings in their rimfire standard.
I talked to Bartlein today, got some background on the fellow Scott Taylor who really was the genesis behind the 22lr solid bullet effort and for whom Cutting Edge made the bullets for R&D. Bartlein supplied the blanks but he took care of the chamber reaming himself--so I couldn't get a detailed chamber reamer idea from Bartlein (other than the various flavors they ream themselves). By sheer coincidence, I discovered that Bartlein also makes CZ prefits occasionally and I couldn't resist putting in for a reservation in the production cue. Mr Taylor uses the 1:6 twist blanks to produce a custom barreled action that features a rem 700 style action. Both Cutting Edge and Bartlein told me Taylor and associates are hitting targets with accuracy at ranges as far as 600 to 1,000 yds (!). Really redefines what a few grains of modern smokeless can do.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 11, 2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old August 27, 2021, 12:08 PM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
Lots of update info. I was about to get a reamer made when I called Bartlein to check on my barrel production status--that's when they dropped a bombshell on me and told me they couldn't do a custom length and reamed barrel like I had originally requested--they are so over-loaded and back-logged with orders I was told it could be between 1 to 2 years before they could get to something like that. However, to be clear, they still offer standard blanks or prefits as they become available. I'm not especially happy about it, but I do understand the situation and am not angry, I left it I still hope to do business with them.

Scott Taylor called me yesterday and he graciously allowed me to pick his brains for info on the genesis of the CE 22lr bullets, ballistics, bores, chambers etc.. He makes his own custom actions and barrels--not only for the 22lr, but also for other competition shooters and calibers, especially those in the LR and ELR game. He also works collaboratively with VuDoo gun works--a specialty outfit regarded as making some of the finest 22lr competition rifles in existence. Among other things--they developed an AICS style magazine that will accommodate the necessarily over-long COL that a 42 or 52 grain solids would need. Scott's passion is long distance shooting--as odd as it may seem him and other long distance shooters are getting the ball rolling on long distance 22lr shooting, and it sounded to me like 22lr ELR matches are coming soon to the comp circuit.
Old August 27, 2021, 12:25 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Already going on some places. I don't know what he considers long range for a .22 but one place I know shoots to 200 yards. There is another place in the area with rimfire precision but I don't know how far out they go.
ETA. NRL22 is only 100 yards but targets are small.

Makes a lot of sense. Even Tenex is much less expensive than Berger bullets alone and it is a lot easier to find real estate for .22s than high-power.

Last edited by Jim Watson; August 27, 2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old August 27, 2021, 01:17 PM   #6
stagpanther

Quote:
Already going on some places. I don't know what he considers long range for a .22 but one place I know shoots to 200 yards. There is another place in the area with rimfire precision but I don't know how far out they go.
ETA. NRL22 is only 100 yards but targets are small.
I think ELR for 22lr is more like 600 to 1,000 yds. Yes, they are doing it.