The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 13, 2021, 11:23 PM   #1
AzShooter

Finding Front Sight Was Easy Today

Today's Steel Challenge Match was much easier because I replaced my stock front sight on my S&W 617.

I'm getting old, will be 70 in Nov. and my eye sight isn't what it use to be. I was having difficulty finding my small OEM front sight until today.

I replaced my OEM sight with a fiber optic from Precision. New sight come with green, red and white replaceable optics. For me the green is the easiest to see and WOW the new sight really stands out.

I even posted some of my best times today even having to suffer for out first 110 degree day.

Old June 14, 2021, 03:51 PM   #2
BobCat45

Great! Glad the fiber optic worked for you.

I was having the devil's own time seeing the front sight on my Marlin 1894 .357 mag.

The rear sight is a flip-up tang sight; the small aperture helps focus on the front, but it was still fuzzy. So I finally put a fiber optic on the front and my 72-year-old eyes thank me for it.

Have fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin TruGlo.jpg (58.2 KB, 49 views)
Old June 17, 2021, 05:53 AM   #3
sparkyv

Nice!
Old June 17, 2021, 06:21 AM   #4
AzShooter

BobCat45 you did a great job. The FO front sight is going to allow me to shoot "iron" sights for a long time now and I'll bet you will be happy with yours as well.

sparkyv: Thanks.
Old June 17, 2021, 10:12 AM   #5
BobCat45

Thanks AzShooter!

The FO sight may not be acceptable for CASS, which is what I originally bought the Marlin for, but it makes the rifle easier to shoot (possible to shoot) and I haven't been shooting Cowboy for a while. And I still have the original front sight if needed.

The hardest part was finding out which way to drift out the original, and install the new one. Once it was printing properly I put a drop (only one) of wicking Loctite on the dovetail for insurance.

Good that there is no historical restriction on your use of the FO sight in competition.