The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 4, 2020, 08:07 PM   #1
jimku

Taurus 605 grips

Which pair do you like best?
I can't show them on my 605 because it is in for warranty work. I am being optimistic that I will get it back in fine condition, and while waiting have been working up a couple pair of grips for it.
I got the grips from two different places (Ebay and Amazon) and the Taurus medallions from two other places, got a forstner bit and inlaied the medallions into the grips then applied a gloss finish.
The chocolate ones are Mango wood and I have no idea what wood the others are. The medallions in the Mango grips are a kind of pewter color, the other ones shiny bronze color.
I like smooth grips on my revolvers that are smooth as glass.

Last edited by jimku; July 5, 2020 at 01:44 AM.
Old July 5, 2020, 08:40 AM   #2
lee n. field

What do I like best for Taurus small frame?

For a long time, my favorite was the Uncle Mike's "Combat" grip. (3 finger grip, longer than the boot grip, and overs the backstrap.)

Right now I use and prefer the Crimson Trace LG-385. Even without the laser, it is quite a nice grip.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 5, 2020, 12:46 PM   #3
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
What do I like best for Taurus small frame?
For a long time, my favorite was the Uncle Mike's "Combat" grip. (3 finger grip, longer than the boot grip, and overs the backstrap.)
Right now I use and prefer the Crimson Trace LG-385. Even without the laser, it is quite a nice grip.
Thank you for responding. I have never been a fan of lasers ... sure as the devil, with my luck, just when I needed it the battery would be dead.
Old July 5, 2020, 12:55 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

^^^^^^
Of course you can still use the sights if the batteries go dead!
Old July 5, 2020, 03:24 PM   #5
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
^^^^^^
Of course you can still use the sights if the batteries go dead!
So why not just train using them all the time and dispense with the lazer? By the time you figure out that your battery croaked you could be shot three times!
Old July 5, 2020, 04:04 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

On the other hand, it might be too dark to see the sights, or you have to shoot from an awkward position where you cannot raise the revolver to your eye sight, so unless you are superb in point shooting, the laser just might work!
Old July 5, 2020, 05:18 PM   #7
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
On the other hand, it might be too dark to see the sights, or you have to shoot from an awkward position where you cannot raise the revolver to your eye sight, so unless you are superb in point shooting, the laser just might work!
It just might work with a dead battery? Don't think so. Besides, to get your head where you can see where the laser dot is, if you can see it, the bad guy can see your head. At any rate, I am not going to schtick a laser sight on my 605. You do whatever floats yer boat.
Old July 5, 2020, 06:54 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimku View Post
Thank you for responding. I have never been a fan of lasers ... sure as the devil, with my luck, just when I needed it the battery would be dead.
A year and a few months in, the CT lasergrip has been zero problem. And it really does let me make good hits a lot further out than the stock sights.

The batteries in this are just CR2032, available in fine Walmarts everywhere.

And the grip is, all by itself, totally apart from the laser, quite nice. I actually like it better than the Uncle Mike's, which I had thought to be about perfect for me.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 5, 2020, 09:25 PM   #9
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
A year and a few months in, the CT lasergrip has been zero problem. And it really does let me make good hits a lot further out than the stock sights.
The batteries in this are just CR2032, available in fine Walmarts everywhere.
And the grip is, all by itself, totally apart from the laser, quite nice. I actually like it better than the Uncle Mike's, which I had thought to be about perfect for me.
Cool. So you draw your gun, spend two seconds looking for the little dot that isn't there because the battery croaked, take another little while to realize your battery has croaked, stick your finger in the air and say "Excuse me, I have to run to Walmart and get a battery."? Oh dang ... you've already been shot 3 times while looking for the little green dot. And if it's too dark to see your iron sights ... and your battery is good ... and you find the little green dot ... you have no idea if that little dot is on the bad guy, the neighbor's Ford or Grandma wandering around in the back yard. If it's too dark to see the bad guy with your naked eye, you have no idea what that little green dot is on, and if you can see him with your naked eye you can certainly see a little dab of white paint on your front sight.

As for farther out, unless someone is actually shooting at you, and you can prove it, a long shot is most likely going to bankrupt you in legal fees and land you broke and in prison for assault with a deadly weapon ... or murder ... when a threat to your life was not IMMINENT ... meaning you will be dead in one second unless you shoot. Who needs a laser @ 3 yards?? And if a bad dude is going to shoot at you from 20 yards out, most likely your first hint of it will be the Thwack of his first round striking your body because you don't even know he's there and he sure as heck isn't going to give you any warning.

Last edited by jimku; July 5, 2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old July 13, 2020, 12:55 PM   #10
wagonicfolding

I have a pocket holster I can use for my 605 but I prefer my leather IWB holster. Great retention and it just feels comfortable. Pocket holster works well but just isn't my favorite. Also may be worth mentioning.. if you go to the store to try it out it should come with two grips. I personally use the larger 3 finger grip but the 2 would stand a better chance at the pocket.