The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 13, 2020, 12:07 PM   #51
Archer1440

Interesting thoughts about the subject of people buying guns with zero experience. Got a text from a friend proudly proclaiming his partner, who has never even touched a pistol before, had just bought herself a new Hellcat.

Now, I don’t know about the rest of you, but for a completely inexperienced shooter, a 9mm Hellcat or any other micro pistol might be #300 on a list of 305 guns to start with.

I will be giving them both lessons with the Four Rules first and foremost, but this is a trend we are eyeing and it ain’t pretty. Too many people buying that “magic talisman” with absolutely no clue on how to safely (not to mention, legally) use it, and perhaps too many counter workers more than willing to push whatever they have.

With rights come responsibilities, and People like us who are on this particular forum should all continue to try to educate those people into getting some responsible training.
Old July 13, 2020, 06:03 PM   #52
GarandTd

I've seen both ends of the spectrum at this point. An LGS 15 miles north had full display cases with reasonable prices on all sorts of handguns. Their ammo stock was low, but they had some in the common calibers and the prices were quite reasonable. Today I stopped at a shop 20 miles south that had a limited supply of handguns and barely any common caliber ammo and their prices were severely gouged. $38 for a 500 round brick of Aguilla 22lr. $995 for a used Sar K2 45. That'll be the last time I enter that place.
Old July 13, 2020, 07:20 PM   #53
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
Interesting thoughts about the subject of people buying guns with zero experience. Got a text from a friend proudly proclaiming his partner, who has never even touched a pistol before, had just bought herself a new Hellcat.

Now, I don’t know about the rest of you, but for a completely inexperienced shooter, a 9mm Hellcat or any other micro pistol might be #300 on a list of 305 guns to start with.

I will be giving them both lessons with the Four Rules first and foremost, but this is a trend we are eyeing and it ain’t pretty. Too many people buying that “magic talisman” with absolutely no clue on how to safely (not to mention, legally) use it, and perhaps too many counter workers more than willing to push whatever they have.

With rights come responsibilities, and People like us who are on this particular forum should all continue to try to educate those people into getting some responsible training.

For me a Hellcat would be a higher on the list than 300/305, even though I don’t particularly care for the pistol. I can think of a number of options I would consider worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 16, 2020, 06:19 PM   #54
paknheat

No shortage in my area. Things are pretty normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 16, 2020, 09:16 PM   #55
deadcoyote

All the actual gun shops in my town are stripped. The ace hardware near my house that sells guns but has awful prices still has two glock 21’s, two glock 20’s, two xd 45’s, a Glock 17, a half dozen various 1911’s and a bizarre amount (approximately 8) of smith and Wesson “Air Lite” snub nose revolvers in .22 mag.
Old July 17, 2020, 05:06 AM   #56
HBoswell

My goto store deals mainly with used firearms and they are so depleted that I only go by about twice a month instead of weekly. My other two favorites are much better stocked, one having a bit of empty space whereas the other is almost overstocked. One thing I did notice was the first still has the best prices in town on "new" firearms while the second has raised their prices at least 10-20%, but, they do have just about everything.
Old July 19, 2020, 12:33 AM   #57
balin

I hear the LGS I usually go to is more empty then usual. But as there is a 2 hour wait time standing in line due to covid I haven't been in for a few months and it will probably be at least a few more .
Old July 19, 2020, 12:43 AM   #58
Cirdan

Local stores have some guns, but the background check takes forever (unless you have a CCW and can skip it).

Real shortage is ammo. No 9mm at all. Plenty of shotgun.
Old July 19, 2020, 07:40 AM   #59
wmg1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post

My neighbor just picked up a Hellcat as his wife’s first gun. It was not his first choice, but it was the only 9mm in stock besides some of the higher-end Sig Sauers. My area is still being hit hard as far as shortages go, so I’m actually kind of impressed that Springfield is keeping up their shipments. I think my neighbor’s wife will do fine with the Hellcat because he signed his entire family up for the state LTC class and has paid for some additional instruction. That will put his wife way ahead of most new gun owners regardless of what handgun she uses.
Old July 20, 2020, 12:59 AM   #60
Ignition Override

Used, lower-priced handguns seem to be the main shortage--that's the only shortage I've spotted in display cases.

$850 HK USPs, Walther PPQs, various 9mm and 10mms, .45s seem to be plentiful, i.e. at our ShootPointBlank and Classic Arms (Cordova TN) along with other.......

...>>>New, retail handguns<<<.

A true panic would have cleaned out the $700-$900 * new * handguns as soon as they are stocked. Our Armslist is stuffed with handguns.

Ammo for semi-auto handguns (.22LR and types >.32 Auto) and rifles is the Actual, True Panic.
The guns are just a convenient "make good copy" headline for the media.

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 20, 2020 at 01:04 AM.
Old July 20, 2020, 09:40 PM   #61
jonnyc

Today? A 1911, Walther PPK/S, and a Ruger .357.
That's it
Old July 27, 2020, 05:41 PM   #62
SwissArmyTenor

I have a very good 'LGS' and an Academy Sports nearby.

Academy - went there yesterday. Handguns are 95% gone. There were a few .22 revolvers, couple of Springfield polymers, a Taurus TX22, and a couple others that escape my memory. Only handgun ammo I saw was a few boxes of 22.

My local gunstory is fairly picked over, but better. 2-3 1911's, some CZs...they look to be down about 70%. Their consignment case is better stocked - not like usual, but around 80% of capacity. Being a seller's market that makes sense - I'll be adding one of mine there tomorrow
Old July 28, 2020, 07:11 PM   #63
gaseousclay

My local big box sporting goods store seemed to have decent stock, especially used. I bought a S&W m&p sport II for $750 out the door - they had over 20 in inventory for a fair price despite the numerous sellers I’ve seen on gunbroker charging $850. 9mm ammo was picked clean but they had a lot of 22lr, 10mm and 45acp. I ordered a S&W handgun from a different store a month ago and am still waiting.
Old July 29, 2020, 12:49 AM   #64
wild cat mccane

Mentioning new shooters:

import bans from China, the USA's number one maker of guns safes, we're going to see the US only scourge of youth suicide by gun for years to come from all this panic buying.

I for one am not seeing hardly any "Stack-On" saves anywhere online and it's the largest brand in America. Though Stack-On is total file cabinet level 18gauge steel junk, it's something. But you almost can't buy them.
Old July 29, 2020, 06:50 AM   #65
gaseousclay

Regarding ammo availability, the big box sporting goods store where I bought my AR had a 1000 limit on ammo, which I think is fairly generous. If they lowered the limit it might give others a chance to get some, kinda like the TP apocalypse from a few months ago. I need some .223 rem and 5.56 nato and when I checked, the store had quite a few ammo cans of 5.56 nato, but it was 800 rounds for around $450. Ironic too that there were tons of shotgun loads to be had but not a single defensive shotgun to be purchased.

As for new, inexperienced gun owners buying firearms for the first time, it's surprising but let's not assume either that none of them will take safety courses. There are dummies everywhere so there will likely be some that accidentally shoot themselves or others, but I don't think it'll be as bad as it sounds. I ordered a handgun last month and bought an AR the other day. I have no experience with either, but I am familiar with the 4 firearms safety rules and did take a hunter safety course 10 yrs ago. I'm comfortable using a bolt-action, pump action and lever action but that's about it. I also plan on taking safety/defense courses so that I know how to use my handgun and AR.
Old July 29, 2020, 10:32 AM   #66
wild cat mccane

To be honest, even the current gun owners haven't done even "good" about securing guns from kids.

In my state of Utah, suicide by gun is the leading death of youth under 18.

I hope the gun community picks up the secure messaging. I haven't seen it.
Old July 30, 2020, 12:51 PM   #67
KSFreeman

Pistols of all sorts are in short supply. However, I bought a SIG 320F with an RDS just last Friday.
Old August 5, 2020, 07:47 AM   #68
the45er

I drove 100 miles last week to purchase a Sig P365 from Cabelas in Buda, Tx. The price was $499.99 + tax, which was a great price. They held it for me as they had three left. While I was there waiting for my "number" to come up for service, they sold the other two. What's weird is that the 800 order number for Bass Pro and Cabelas, which is supposed to be able to survey the stock on an item throughout the country, didn't show these guns there. I was lucky enough to call and talk to a store employee. Academy's in the Houston area are extremely picked over as well.

And if you think pistols and ammo are in short supply, try to buy small pistol primers to reload with! They are scarcer than unicorn teeth! I've managed to amass 6000 and the most I've paid is $5.00/100. I've seen them going on gunbroker.com for $10.00/100, 3x their normal price! The sad thing is that many LGS owners are saying it might be at least a year before things get back to normal. And if the unthinkable happens and we have a non compos mentis dementia patient in the White House in November, who knows when things might return to "normal"?

Last edited by the45er; August 5, 2020 at 07:49 AM. Reason: add info
Old August 5, 2020, 09:31 AM   #69
44caliberkid

I was in Scheels in Des Moines and they have just about everything in the $600 and up range. Fleet Farm still had Sigs, FN's, and Berettas, but again, mostly high end models.
Old August 5, 2020, 02:27 PM   #70
sigarms228

I was at LGS today and while their stock was low they had plenty of 9MM pistols including P365, Shields, and PPS and others in compact and full size. Glocks in particular were almost all sold out with about half a dozen misc ones left in the case but no 26/19/17/45/43/43X/48. They had over 50 M&Ps in the case. Only S&B 9MM ammo for $17 a box of 50 but limit of one box.
Old August 5, 2020, 08:25 PM   #71
zoo

I was at a Sportsmans Warehouse in Las Vegas a week ago. The firearms/firearm ammo and gear areas looked as though they had been recently overrun by gypsies. No offense to gypsies.
Old August 5, 2020, 08:32 PM   #72
Cheapshooter

Need something for a project I'm working on Stopped bt Farm & Home, so out of curiosity I checked the gun counter. Full long gun racks, with the exception of the usual several AR and AK varieties.
Handgun cases pretty much full. SA, and DA revolvers, Semi autos, and all with variety of calibers available. Ammo was full except for almost anything handgun.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 6, 2020, 01:16 PM   #73
gnystrom

My LGS's has plenty of guns but little or no ammo.
Old August 6, 2020, 03:56 PM   #74
jimku

It doesn't matter what guns are availale at my LGS ... they NEVER have what I am looking for so I stopped even bothering to go there and look.
Old August 7, 2020, 12:12 AM   #75
Ignition Override

Most of them were at Shoot Point Blank today, in Memphis. The pricier new handguns always are available in a wide variety of .380, 9mm, .45 etc.

It was Burglarized about three nights ago. They Broke In the back door.

Among the 30 guns stolen, most were Rental Handguns.

Before the burglary I was there three times since the panic began.
* The only display case which remains almost empty is labeled "Used 9mm" .

The only real panic here is for the lower-priced guns, which doesn't indicate, to me, any high anxiety. A true panic would have claimed the higher-priced 9mm and .45 Auto.

Last edited by Ignition Override; August 8, 2020 at 12:13 AM.