The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 28, 2020, 11:26 AM   #51
peacefulgary

Quote:
Those "internal safeties" don't mean diddly squat. If the trigger is puled ... for ANY reason ... it will fire.
The same is true of all double-action revolvers.

Do you feel that they are unsafe?
Old June 28, 2020, 12:43 PM   #52
jman841

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double K View Post
So after several years I like my Lew Horton 19 a little better with a flared magazine well, adjustable sights, aftermarket trigger and extended slide release. It's definitely not on par with a semi-custom 1911 but I like it for motorcyle trips and trips through war zones{used to be called downtown in most cities}. At one time I thought the 32rd mag I have was just a novelty, maybe not.
Which trigger did you go with? I'm playing around with trigger combinations right now but at the moment, I like the stock configuration after I heavily polished it. It has a bit of take up and a nice clean break.

I emailed with johnny glock and he recommended I use his modified 5.5lb connector with a 5 lb striker spring for the most crisp feel/break. It will never be the glass rod of a 1911, no striker pistol will ever be due to the way they function, but I can't say it's a bad trigger. More than good enough for accurate and fast shooting for defensive/combat purposes.

I'm sure in Competition a tuned 1911 will make a big difference in the right hands over a glock trigger, but with the right combination of connector/trigger bar/spring and a bit of polishing I think a glock trigger can be on part with any other striker gun on the market.
Old June 28, 2020, 01:14 PM   #53
Double K

Jman841

I don't recall whose trigger parts I used, what the local gunshop had, the kit didn't replace the trigger itself just some parts inside that I hand fitted.
It's an unremarkable trigger, a friend has a 23 that a gunsmith did that's really good for a Glock, mine isn't even close to his. It's a self defense gun and as such I don't care if it's not the best Glock trigger I've ever tried, I can hit a USPSA/ IPSC silhouette target at 50yds most of the time, good enough.
Old June 28, 2020, 02:57 PM   #54
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulgary View Post
The same is true of all double-action revolvers.

Do you feel that they are unsafe?
No. A double-action revolver has a trigger pull at least twice as stiff as a Glock (more like 3 times) as well as much longer.
Old June 28, 2020, 08:28 PM   #55
Onward Allusion

Glock is right around 6 out of the box. A S&W J Frame is between 10 and 11 out of the box. If someone is not comfortable carrying a Glock, then they should not. I used to be the same way and only carried revolvers or guns with a manual safety.
Old June 29, 2020, 01:35 PM   #56
jackstrawIII

Quote:
I’ve also bought a number of pistols over the years that I was convinced I would like to the point they’d replace something else only to be disappointed in that assumption.
That's the truest thing I've read on the internet in a long time. But seriously, get the CZ and see if you like. Only then should you sell the Glock.

Ps. I'm a huge CZ buff and I'm guessing you'll like the P07, but the trigger isn't spectacular. If you want a spectacular trigger, get a M&P and put an Apex Trigger in it. That combination will give you the BEST striker trigger you can get.
Old July 3, 2020, 08:40 AM   #57
the45er

...it may come in handy one day...soon...

20 years ago I would have called this statement "looney". Today, it's far from it.

KEEP the Glock. It's like money in the bank even if the POTUS is re-elected and sanity ever returns to this country.
Old July 5, 2020, 11:06 PM   #58
YankeeIronSights

I would keep the Glock 19 because you can find a number of pistol caliber carbines that share the same 9mm magazines. Ruger, Troy, Stag Arms, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 6, 2020, 07:36 AM   #59
jman841

Good point, I decided to keep the 19 and did a bit of trigger work on it. It now has the trigger setup how I like it and it's still the pistol I shoot best. I don't own any custom 1911's or target guns to compare it with, but for a combat pistol, I am very comfortable with it.

I will wait to get the P07 for prices to come back to normal and then decide afterwards to sell or keep both.

Thanks for all the insight. Glad to see, as much hate as Glock gets, at the end of the day, people still love them.
Old July 6, 2020, 11:19 AM   #60
ZeroTX

Don't sell it. You'll regret it. I do see a bunch of people using the current demand to make a buck. Lots of "as-new" guns being sold on Gunbroker and such that surely were bought at Academy or something on sale and now for sale for hundreds more. Don't be that guy.
Old July 6, 2020, 11:29 AM   #61
sigarms228

The Glock 19 is the Colt 6920 of semi auto pistols so I would hang on to it. If firearm shortage continues or gets worse they will be in really high demand and bring premium price or be great for trading for other firearms/ammo/magazines.
Old July 6, 2020, 12:05 PM   #62
ojibweindian

I would like to reiterate the "two is one, one is none" advice given earlier.