The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old February 9, 2020, 11:27 AM   #51
TunnelRat

Handgun status when need for defensive shot might be imminent

That’s great, I anxiously await. I think at this point you’re completely missing the forest for the trees with regards to my post, that being that “exists as a mode” did not invalidate the points in my post. I also fail to see where what I stated “stands in the face of common beliefs”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 9, 2020, 11:34 AM   #52
TunnelRat

So that’s not a “history book” though. So the level of proof is an internet search resulting in a blog? Okay. Now that I know what is the definition of “is written” I will apply that going forward.

Again to me “is written” is markedly more proof than “it is heard/told”. When someone asks for that I assume they want a primary source. When someone says they know something is written in a “history book”, that to me means they know of a specific history book where it is written. Not that they can do a Google search and get results. If these definitions aren’t your own that’s fine, but seeing as they relate to this discussion we’re having they are what I work under.

If your point is you want legitimacy in discussion, so do I. My point is the definition of legitimacy isn’t the same from one person to another. I also think that larger talking points aren’t completely derailed by certain phrasing if that phrasing isn’t the main point of discussion.

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 9, 2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old February 9, 2020, 11:48 AM   #53
FireForged

I already said.. "any corroboration which is more substantial than thin air".

If you want to call me wrong for suggesting that the creation of the DA mechanism was about rate of fire and NOT about safety.. you can but I suspect you will be in the minority if you do.

The article that I referenced is certainly not a "history book" but it is certainly more than an opinion piece. Still, I will be glad to read whatever you produce in support of your previous statement regarding the reason DA exists

Last edited by FireForged; February 9, 2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old February 9, 2020, 11:51 AM   #54
TunnelRat

Then there we have it. Your definitions differ from mine. Fair enough.

Old February 9, 2020, 11:56 AM   #55
TunnelRat

Quote:
If you want to call me wrong for suggesting that the creation of the DA mechanism was about rate of fire and NOT about safety.. you can but I suspect you will be in the minority if you do.
I don't because I already said I agreed in post #41. The issue wasn't with the claim, the issue was what you wanted when you said "is written". We have that finalized I'd like to think.

Quote:
Still, I will be glad to read whatever you produce in support of your previous statement regarding the reason DA exists
I already went back and clarified what I meant by that, which we both acknowledged. I also stand by my assertion, for the third time, that the use of "exists as a mode" didn't invalidate my point.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; February 9, 2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old February 9, 2020, 11:58 AM   #56
FireForged

Quote:
DA/SA exists as a mode (in semi auto pistols) for a reason, with the first shot being heavier to help mitigate the risk of a ND...
I don't think this is a definition. I was not talking about definitions
Old February 9, 2020, 11:59 AM   #57
TunnelRat

Definitions of "what is written". You edited the post, which was originally just the first line, and meant I didn't need the clarifier. With the edits it needs the clarifier.
Old February 9, 2020, 12:02 PM   #58
FireForged

Tunnel, you are way too smart for me. I have great difficulty following and understanding the points you make. This may not be your fault and could simply be a result of language nuances. I stand by what I said but at this point I am unable to construct anything productive from a continued back and forth. Thank you for your comments but I suspect that you may be pulling my leg. If so, you got me ( I fell for it)

If you come up with ANY information which supports your earlier proclamation, I would be glad to read it. If not, I consider the matter closed due to impasse.

Last edited by FireForged; February 9, 2020 at 12:08 PM.
Old February 9, 2020, 12:06 PM   #59
TunnelRat

I don't think I am particularly smart. I think we're both editing comments faster than people can keep track (at least myself).

I made a statement about what I saw as the use of DA/SA. It was phrased in a way that made it appear I was stating that DA/SA was designed solely for that purpose. You questioned that, asked me for where it was written. I clarified that I should have stated usage and not design. I then asked you what you meant by "is written". You eventually did and I stated that your definition isn't the same as mine. I've also stated multiple times that I don't think my phrasing of a few words in that one post completely invalidates that entire post.
Old February 9, 2020, 12:09 PM   #60
FireForged

My comments are in continual edit mode as my grammer and syntax is terrible.

Last edited by FireForged; February 9, 2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old February 9, 2020, 12:16 PM   #61
TunnelRat

That's totally understandable, I'm making edits too. My point is that responses to posts that have been edited might not make sense (in part because I use fragments rather than sentences and don't specify my subjects like I should). I think this is part of the confusion for posts 56 and 57.

Anyway I think the summary above is accurate, albeit the last part is my opinion.
Old February 9, 2020, 12:50 PM   #62
Aguila Blanca
Staff

This thread has devolved from a discussion about a question to a debate between two individuals who are talking at rather than to one another. Nothing new has been added since yesterday so I guess this thread has reached a natural conclusion.

Closed.
Jeepaholic
Closed Thread