The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 7, 2018, 03:32 PM   #1
JJ45

STAG ARMS, anything better for the $?

Specifically, Stag Minimalist 15....I am a hard core "minimalist" when it comes to firearms and was wondering if there is a better performing "AR" in THAT category. For around $650.00

Some features of this Stag; 6.2 LBS...around 32"-34" depending if stock extended

Chrome lined bore
A2 Bird Cage flash hider
Mil-Spec manganese phosphated M16 BCG
Mission First Tactical furniture and accessories
Tekko M-Lok rail
Battlelink minimalist stock
Polymer flip up rear sight

Also;
Life time transferable warranty
Infinite shot barrel guarantee (this one surprised me)
In case of warranty work, shipping paid both ways

Any opinions,advice appreciated.
Old November 7, 2018, 04:25 PM   #2
Charlie98

Quote:
Life time transferable warranty
Infinite shot barrel guarantee (this one surprised me)
In case of warranty work, shipping paid both ways
Given all that, it's probably worth the price of admission.

You want real minimalist? I've got a DPMS Oracle... just about as stripped down as you can make it, for about $400.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 7, 2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Willie D

Stripped lower + Delton or Palmetto.
Old November 7, 2018, 07:34 PM   #4
JJ45

Willie, Thanks but not interested in a build. At least, not yet.
Old November 7, 2018, 07:50 PM   #5
DubC-Hicks

The Stag is a good rifle. Only downside is the carbine length gas system.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446841.html

This is the route I'd go if I was buying a complete rifle on a budget.

Last edited by DubC-Hicks; November 8, 2018 at 02:47 AM.
Old November 8, 2018, 01:47 AM   #6
1stmar

I have 2, both are 100% reliable and very accurate. My model 6 is boringly 1/2 moa
Old November 8, 2018, 05:17 AM   #7
JJ45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubC-Hicks View Post
The Stag is a good rifle. Only downside is the carbine length gas system.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446841.html

This is the route I'd go if I was buying a complete rifle on a budget.
Dub, why is a carbine length gas system a downside?
Old November 8, 2018, 09:44 AM   #8
Charlie98

Quote:
It's not really, anymore... and that's me saying that, I prefer the mid-length systems.

I took my Oracle, with the carbine-length gas system, out to NV with me last year and ran about 1K rounds through it... I honestly couldn't see any differences in it and my mid-length RRA rifle with factory M193 55grn ball ammo. There are theories that the shorter gas system can over-gas, that they blow more carbon back into the bolt, and other reliability issues are largely a non-issue with a properly set up rifle, that's just my experience. One of the high-mileage AR guys might come along and disagree... but my theory is, if it didn't work, or there were serious reliability issues, they would have come to light by now.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old November 8, 2018, 07:33 PM   #9
DubC-Hicks

Most available carbine length gas 16" barreled ARs are overgassed. The carbine length system was designed for the 14.5" barrel. Add another 1.5" of barrel to get to the legal 16". This increases dwell time, and you're adding a lot more gas into the system. This causes the action to operate more violently, increasing recoil and wear and tear on the gun.

But it also allows the gun to operate with a wider range of ammunition, i.e cheap steel case ammo that everyone loves these days. So instead of properly gassing the rifles and getting complaints that steel won't run as well in them, manufacturers keep them overgassed. Of course, this can be band-aid fixed with a heavier buffer or stiffer buffer spring.

Myself, I run mid-length gas on my 11.5, 14.5s and 16s. Smoother, softer recoil impulse, less wear and tear.
Old November 9, 2018, 06:18 PM   #10
berettaprofessor

Stags are solid AR's. Builds or "complete" they're as quality as anything out there.
Old November 10, 2018, 10:52 AM   #11
COSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
To quote a study by Naval Surface Warfare Center:

"Using a mid-length gas system on an M4A1 carbine extends the life of the weapon system and increases the weapon’s performance over a carbine-length gas system, according to a detailed study by Naval Surface Warfare Center — Crane, obtained by Military Times through a Freedom of Information Act request."

Read the article in the Military Times HERE.
Old November 11, 2018, 10:57 PM   #12
Captains1911

For $100 more you can get a Colt 6920 which is a much better rifle.
Old November 11, 2018, 10:58 PM   #13
Captains1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor View Post
Stags are solid AR's. Builds or "complete" they're as quality as anything out there.
Not really.
Old November 12, 2018, 09:20 PM   #14
berettaprofessor

Quote:
Not Really
Care to explain why? Have you put them head to head in a match? Shot a Stag extensively? I’m not going to say I know better because I’ve only shot one Colt and it wasn’t a 6920. But I wasn’t that impressed.
Old November 14, 2018, 01:04 PM   #15
G.barnes

99 percent of the time all ar’s shoot the same. They are all right around the same accuracy unless you just buy complete crap. The difference comes from the life of the parts. A 4140 barrel will shoot just as well as a 4150 barrel. The 4150 will last longer. If you shoot thousands of rounds it matters if not you’ll never see the difference. Remember most barrels don’t go bad in the rifling, they get excessive throat erosion with starts to cause keyholing. If you want something that will hold value and be a great functioning rifle get something like a colt. If you just want something you can beat on get the stag. Worst case it’s got a great warranty if you do shoot out a barrel or break something.
Old November 14, 2018, 02:36 PM   #16
arlaunch

10,000 rounds of about the cheapest ammo you can find at .30 cents per round is $3000.

A carbine length gas system is not going ruin your gun before you get to that point.

Lube your parts with quality lubrication and enjoy your 10,000 rounds.

$675 for a gun is cheap. I used to be able to spend that in the bar in 1 night when i was young.

Ammo is the expensive part in the long run.

Heck... Some guys own these things and barely shoot them. And when they do, they only sit at the bench and squabble about accuracy using bad ammo.

Stags are fine. Especially if you are left handed.
Old November 14, 2018, 03:40 PM   #17
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.barnes View Post
99 percent of the time all ar’s shoot the same. They are all right around the same accuracy unless you just buy complete crap. The difference comes from the life of the parts. A 4140 barrel will shoot just as well as a 4150 barrel. The 4150 will last longer. If you shoot thousands of rounds it matters if not you’ll never see the difference. Remember most barrels don’t go bad in the rifling, they get excessive throat erosion with starts to cause keyholing. If you want something that will hold value and be a great functioning rifle get something like a colt. If you just want something you can beat on get the stag. Worst case it’s got a great warranty if you do shoot out a barrel or break something.
So I double checked and my memory was correct: Stag uses 4150 chrome moly in their full builds. The only barrels that aren't 4150 are their crowned, non-threaded barrels and their bull barrels, which are not used in their plain-jane AR's, a la the M4 and the minimalist. Though I suppose if you had to have a non-flash hider version, that would be the one you're stuck with in the M4. Colt is not the end-all-be-all and I venture that much of the time you're paying for the name. Stag's ARs are quality, especially for their price point.