The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 29, 2018, 10:57 AM   #1
weblance

I need AR Pistol storage solutions for my safe

I have three AR pistols, two with Shockwave brace, one with a simple pistol tube. They are too short to reach the long gun notches, and too large to store with the handguns. I suppose I could make a shelf/box/something to raise them up so they could reach the long gun notches. What intelligent solution have you figured out...? Thanks. Pics help too.
Old October 29, 2018, 11:05 AM   #2
zoomie

I built a box and I use Rifle Rods to keep them standing upright. It works.
Old October 29, 2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Sevens

Wood dowel rods from any craft store are inexpensive and won't harm the bore. So you drop a rod down the bore and now you have a looooong dowel coming quite a ways out of the muzzle that you can lean on to the notches in the gun safe. As zoomie said, put some manner of a box under the brace/buffer tube to bring the receivers up a bit from the floor.

Now myself... I can up with a better solution for long gun storage: I bought the locking sheet metal gun lockers and KICKED ALL MY LONG GUNS OUT! I'm a handgun guy and long guns are horrible use of prime inside safe real estate (my opinion of course.)

Now my big safe is free from the pollution of all long guns and loaded with fine handguns.
Old October 29, 2018, 02:22 PM   #4
weblance

I like the wooden dowel idea, but I may look for something synthetic, like Delrin. Its a simple, and cost effective solution. I also like the Rifle Rods idea. I think either will be the solution. Thanks guys
Old October 30, 2018, 06:34 AM   #5
Rock Hammer

They make the plastic rifle rods just for this purpose....that"s what I use....most gun stores have them or go to a gun safe store ....or online....I really like them .....

Last edited by Rock Hammer; November 1, 2018 at 05:19 AM.