The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 11, 2018, 04:18 PM   #26
FITASC

Beckwith is owned by Picketts; neat little store
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 11, 2018, 07:27 PM   #27
JohnKSa
Staff

It is my understanding that Harry Beckwith, unfortunately, passed away in 2006.
Old November 12, 2018, 12:52 PM   #28
Jdin8455

Just rented a S&W M&P .22 and a Victory. Had to use ranges ammo. No big deal, they charged $4 for 50 Federal rounds.

I still like my Ruger SR22 better than either of those guns BTW, though the Victory was my first time ever shooting with fiber optic sights, and I didn't care for it.
Old November 13, 2018, 04:32 PM   #29
WanderingSol07

The range I go to would have cost $10 for a half hour of one lane (25 yards), $10 to rent the gun, and about $10 for a box of 50 9mm. I did a Kimber .45 ACP last week, $10, $10, and $14 for ammo.
Old November 13, 2018, 04:54 PM   #30
Ricklin

If I loan you mine

I'm happy to let most folks shoot any of my guns at the range. I will also supply the rounds unless of course I know with certainty that what goes in my gun is factory ammo.
I reload, I know what I put together and have no qualms shooting my ammo. Your ammo? Sure in your gun, not in mine.

The range that rents guns is no different. They have considerable dollars tied up in their inventory, it's fair for them to protect their investment.

If the prices of "their" ammunition are outrageous? I shall exercise my rights to spend my dollars elsewhere.

I do fully understand and agree with the policy of factory only in rental guns.

I also know of ranges where only "their" ammo is permitted. In that case it's most always overpriced, and again I exercise my right to spend my dollars elsewhere.

I can't imagine a skeet or trap club that prohibits reloads.
Old November 15, 2018, 07:49 AM   #31
rodfac

Quote:
Test drove a G26 yesterday at a range in Lakewood, CO..pretty standard $ but only $12 for 50 rounds..plus military discount..bit of a drive but..I also had my G19 to compare...think I'll stick with it and G42..YMMV and all that(crappy RH wrist and thumb)..
Great...and I'd suggest that you give them a chance when you purchase. We all need to support the good ones. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old November 15, 2018, 12:05 PM   #32
hdwhit

Quote:
JohnKSa wrote:
And yes, even if you had ammo in the same box he was selling, he still wouldn't let you use it. The issue is that he knows what's in the boxes he is selling. He has no way to verify what's in the box you're using.
^^^^^^ - JohnKSa provides a very clear explanation of the liability issue even in the face of seemingly identical ammunition.
Old November 15, 2018, 12:15 PM   #33
hdwhit

Quote:
JohnKSa wrote:
...if I find a live round at the range, it goes in the trash, not into a gun.
Someone that experienced hunger as a child is more likely to eat what is set in front of them even after they grow up. Similarly, with the "ammunition starvation" I experienced as a child, if I find a live round, it goes in the range bag so that I can salvage the bullet and/or case.

After all, you never know whether that's going to turn out to be part of your last round in the final battle of the zombie apocalypse.
Old November 15, 2018, 02:35 PM   #34
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...if I find a live round, it goes in the range bag so that I can salvage the bullet and/or case.
That makes good sense for reloaders.