The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 17, 2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Venom1956

Could someone explain this shotgun to me?

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

Its a PG 14" mossberg that is apparently exempt from NFA? is it a certain model or any of the PG shotguns they make?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 17, 2014, 05:07 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

According to the letter dated July 20th, 2010, the ATF "utlizes 26 inches as a presumptive standard to determine whether a firearm is 'capable of being concealed on the person.'"

However, the following paragraph is important:

Quote:
Nonetheless, because the statute does not expressly indicate any maximum overall length, a firearm measuring greater than 26 inches in length may properly be classified as an "any other weapon" if it otherwise satisfies the definition of an AOW and there is evidence that the firearm was actually concealed on the person.
There's a lot of room for discretion there.
Old July 17, 2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

Yeah. Show that gun to any ATF field agent and tell them that you don't have a tax stamp and see what they say to you.
Old July 17, 2014, 07:48 PM   #4
Venom1956

That was my thinking... just making sure.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old July 18, 2014, 01:32 AM   #5
Scorch

That is a pistol grip only shotgun. The ATF's position is like this: Since it has never been a shotgun with a full-length buttstock, it does not meet the requirements of 18" barrel length/27" minimum overall length. No tax stamp, not an NFA item. Kind of pretzel logic, but it's legit.
Old July 18, 2014, 11:43 AM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
ScorchThat is a pistol grip only shotgun. The ATF's position is like this: Since it has never been a shotgun with a full-length buttstock, it does not meet the requirements of 18" barrel length/27" minimum overall length. No tax stamp, not an NFA item. Kind of pretzel logic, but it's legit.
Not exactly.
The reason that firearm is not NFA is because it has never had a shoulder stock attached AND its overall length EXCEEDS 26".

Remove that birdshead grip and replace with a pistol grip that reduces the OAL to less than 26" and you have made an AOW.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 20, 2014, 07:31 AM   #7
Skans

Can someone make that in a good semi-auto with box magazine?