The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2013, 01:29 PM   #1
JustABulletAway

Sis SP2022 Problems

Hello all, this is my first post, I have been registered a while but never posted.

I recently acquired my first Sig, a SP2022.
I finally got to take it to the range today and had problems from the start.

I put in a mag, pull back the slide, pull the trigger, bang.
Pull the trigger again, nothing. The hammer was not fully cocked.
I could slightly pull back the hammer then fire again.

I tried several different ammo types, and this occurs on all. Herters 115g FMJ, RWS 124g FMJ, Federal 115g FMJ, PMC Starfire 124g HP, Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P HP, nothing made any difference.
The gun will not fully cock the hammer with any.

I tried two different mags, loaded with 5 rounds and fully loaded, still, hammer will not fully cock
I did break down the gun and clean before the range trip as advised in the manual. Both mags were cleaned and lightly oiled as well.
At the range, I did break down the gun and re-assemble multiple times to verify that everything was in order.

As an experiment, I tried keeping the trigger squeezed through the whole cycle. Low and behold, the hammer would full cock....most of the time. When holding the trigger back this way, when released to go forward, the hammer would click forward slightly.

I checked my grip, checked that the slide hold back was not interfering and let my son shoot the weapon to make sure it was not just something stupid I was doing.

It sure is a bummer that my new Sig was a lemon out of the box. I was stoked after seeing so many positive reviews of this pistol and ended up dissappointed.

Has anyone else had this problem or any ideas for a remedy? I will be contacting Sig on Monday for a possible solution or return.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:14 PM   #2
WVsig

Ok did you ever try to decock the pistol? Insert mag load the chamber and then decock the pistol to DA mode?

If you did would the pistol's hammer stay back after firing from the DA mode?

It sounds like the hammer was not resetting.... was the trigger fully reset?

From what you are describing it sounds like there is a issue with the hammer and the sear engagement. The hammer is not resetting because it is slipping off the sear. Could be as simple as the hammer return spring is not properly set.

Best thing to do is call Sig on Monday.

Last edited by WVsig; January 12, 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old January 12, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3
JustABulletAway

Yes, I did try going from a DA pull as well, same results.
You are probably correct, the hammer is only about 1/16" from being fully cocked, so it is probably slipping off the sear slightly.

I'm sure Sig will take care of the problem. I hear their CS is very good. One of the reasons I bought the pistol in the first place.
Old January 12, 2013, 10:03 PM   #4
bamiller

I have a SP2022 (as well as many other pistols by other manufacturers) and would say its probably the best bang for the buck of the whole group. Shoots real well too. You got a rare bad one. Send it back to Sig and I'm sure you'll be happy with it once its up and running.
Old January 14, 2013, 11:18 AM   #5
pat701

Do the pencil test in Da and SA. Keep your finger away from the slide release when firing to 2022 to save you problems in the future. It's a great pistol!!!