The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1
zimm

Best clays shotgun for under $1000?

I'm going to stop converting my 870 express back and forth and make it my permanent defensive gun. Now I need a new gun for trap and to try out sporting clays (I've never done it before).

I'll have to wait on my dream Citori XT trap model for a few years (I can't blow $2200 on a shotgun).

What's the best trap/sporting clays gun on a budget? I don't care for looks, just quality and function. I'm leaning towards an 11-87 or maybe one of those cheaper under overs. I'd really like to get some recommendations. Someday when I can get a citori, the "budget" gun will make a great loaner for friends trying out clays too.

I'm not even that good, I shoot about 17-18 out of 25 in trap so I don't need anything super high end.
Old January 11, 2005, 06:05 PM   #2
BLKLABMAN

Sporting Clay's shotgun.

semi-auto's.
1.Benelli SuperSport- What I shoot , and she shoot like dream. Recoil is the same as a gas shotgun.
2.Beretta 391. On the money circuit the 391 is the most popular semi-auto.
3 Beretta 391 Tecknys
11-87's seem to go down all the time during Tournaments, especially the 250 rounder's.

I would suggest the 391 Sporting Clay's. The base SC model can be had here new for $750
Plus by going to one of these you can adjust the drop and cast yourself, and wont have to fool with a gunsmith like you would an O/U.
These are just my opinions, I'm sure others will give some great advice.
Old January 11, 2005, 06:43 PM   #3
K80Geoff

The old Remington 1100 is still a good choice. If you get into serious competition, buy a backup 1100.
Old January 12, 2005, 05:11 PM   #4
P102

Beretta or Benelli.

Either of these semi autos will be fine, I prefer the more classic looks of the Beretta. Resale will also be best. I don't recommend any of the less expensive O/U's, the balance is usually off and most will beat you to death w/ recoil.
Old January 18, 2005, 04:05 PM   #5
tpdtom

All things considered , the Beretta 391 Urika Sporting may be the best choice. Your desire for an all around shotgun is somewhat problematic . If you buy a REAL trap gun , one with a trap stock and possibly a higher rib , it will shoot too high for sporting clays. A trap gun shoots high , anywhere from 60-90% of the pattern above the line of sight. Since the trap targets are always rising when you shoot , you can look at your target at the moment you pull the trigger . In Sporting , you have all presentations , even falling targets . These targets are extremely difficult to hit sucessfully with a high shooting gun .

There are many solutions. You can shoot trap with a sporting gun , and blot your birds out when they are really on the rise , but that IS a handicap . You can have your stock made adjustable , and change it for each game but I don't recommend that . You can adjust the drop with the spacers that come with the gun (A Beretta 391 comes with shims for drop and cast) . I don't like that solution either because it's too difficult to fit any gun properly until you have a ton of experience and have shot a great deal . The bottom line is that if you are serious about either sport you need a dedicated gun for it . There are really a lot of used Trap guns around . Enlist the help of an expert at your club . Chances are you will change trap guns anyway as you learn .

I had a Remington 1100 Tournament Trap with beautiful wood , a customized barrel (choke, forcing cone, and porting) , an adjustable stock , a trigger job . Basically everything that you could do to help the shooter . I ran 100 straight one night and had to have a BT-99 and a Citori Trap for Doubles . I bought them and I could NEVER shoot the Citori . I spent about $2000 on mods and lessons before I sold the BT-99 . I went through a few more trap guns before I ended up with the Perazzi Combo Set I have now , and that needed a lot of fitting too ! Trap shooters are CRAZY !!!!!!!! Trap guns like that 1100 are available for $450-$800 all the time , but you need to be sure that they're not worn out and that you seem to be able to shoot the gun . Trap shooters are usually happy to let you try their guns , especially if they're selling .

I hope this helped . A Sporting Clays gun with 30" barrels is the best compromise , but you still won't have a trap gun...Tom

Last edited by tpdtom; January 18, 2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old January 19, 2005, 12:42 AM   #6
notheultimateshooter

field vs. sporting 391 beretta

any thoughts on the the 391 field v. sporting?

I'm looking at a 391 .20 gauge but don't know whether the weight savings of the field gun is the determining factor or if the better feel of the sporting version for shooting clays is the preferred route. I primarily will be shooting clays but will also spend some time afoot.
Old January 20, 2005, 10:36 PM   #7
fawcettlee

Sorry. Just visiting from the Handguns forum. But I'm a bit

confused with the different types of shotguns mentioned here.
Field, trap and skeet guns... What is the differnce. Someone mentioned shot pattern going in a certain way for trap... different stock, etc.
Is there any such thing as a all-arounder shotgun? I've been toying with the idea of trying skeet but I'm confused as to what to use for what???