The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 10, 2013, 12:27 AM   #1
Deja vu

Need to confirm a gun store rumor

I was at a local gun shop and I talked about my idea to make a SBS 1887. The guy was intrigued but said I should leave the shoulder stock on it. I replied that I am planned to have both a pistol grip and a shoulder stock. He told me that I would have to pick just one for the form1.

Is that true or canI state on the paper work that it will have two different stock lengths?

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old September 10, 2013, 08:23 AM   #2
HopeandChange

Pick one for the paperwork. Anything requiring brain cell activity will only confuse the examiner.

Now you may be dealing with 2 different classes of weapon. I think a pistol grip SBS is considered an AOW (any other weapon) or something.... and the stocked gun would be an SBS.

But since it's not a factory AOW, you're just going to be looking at an SBS.

You might run this by the NFA section on M4carbine.
Old September 10, 2013, 09:17 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

To clarify Hopeandchange

A shotgun must have left the factory with a pistol grip and never had stock installed to be a AOW. If it is registered as a AWO it may never have a stock installed later on.

If you the OP wants to have a pistol grip and a full length stock all that is required by the ATF is that the gun be able to be readily restored to it's length stated on the form 1.
Old September 10, 2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Beretta686

It has to be an SBS, as it originally had a stock.

But on a side note, there's no reason to ever make an AOW via a Form 1, as you're going to have to pay $200 to register it. It's only the subsequent transfer via Form 4s that's $5 when it comes to AOWs.

As you're incurring the $200 tax either way, it's smarter to do an SBS as then you can add a stock or whatever you wish to it later on, unlike with an AOW (unless of course SBSs aren't legal where you live).

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old September 16, 2013, 12:56 PM   #5
sf46

Hope and Change and Willie are both correct from what I know of the situation.
Old September 18, 2013, 10:03 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

IIRC, the application form doesn't address the type of stock, but does ask the overall length. So if you changed from a full stock to a pistol grip type, doesn't that change the OAL, which changes the information in the NFRTR? Is that OK to do without notifying BATFE? Or if you want to switch back and forth, what are the legal ramifications?

At one time, I would have said that BATFE wouldn't care, but today it could be seen as invalidating the registration and/or committing a felony by lying on the Form.

Jim