The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2005, 05:01 PM   #1
random_alias

Remington 870P Police MAX (#4971) pricing + trigger tension question

Hi everyone. This forum is chocked full of great information and while I have been reading, this is my first post.

I've decided to get a shotgun for home defense. From what I've read here, it sounds like most everyone agrees that an 870P is a fine choice. I had no luck finding a local dealer that can order one of these guns for me, so I called Remington and they referred to me to a semi-local Police Force distributor, which I promtly contacted. They said they can sell me an 870P Police MAX, which is Remington order #4971 on the Remington Law Enforcement website, http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/870pmax.htm , for $734.99. I should note that I think I want all the stuff that comes on the MAX. I didn't know about the max, so I described what I wanted and the guy told me about the MAX, which covered all those bases straight from the factory. My questions is, does this price sound reasonable for getting all that stuff at once and pre-installed. It has everything I want except for a 6-shell side saddle, which I'll have to add myself. I did some rough number crunching and it sounds like it wouldn't be much cheaper to order the gun and parts seperately and pay individual shipping for all of it and then have to mod it myself. What are your thoughts? Is that pretty much the going price for this shotgun setup?

On a sidenote, is it true that I can simply replace the 7 lb trigger spring on the police model with a 4 lb trigger spring from the standard model without modification or adverse effects? Any comments would be appreciated. If I am going to get the gun, I need to get it in 3 or 4 days because they only have one in stock and it's been held for 2 weeks for a non-payer, so it's first come first served.

Thanks everyone.
Old January 7, 2005, 08:07 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Price-wise, that sounds like a full-list price, but then it is tough to find local dealers who will special order Police guns, and ESPECIALLY a new, high-demand, non-standard model like this.

The only other option is to shop around locally, and try to find a FFL dealer who orders from a Remington Law Enforcement Wholesaler.
You might beat that price.

But, going by the "bird in the hand" adage, if you want it and can afford it, why not?

The trigger/sear spring is a direct exchange.
The purpose of the Police gun's heavier spring is to help prevent accidental firing under stress.
As long as you train properly and PAY ATTENTION, there should be no concerns with an exchange.

To switch the springs, you'll need to press out the large diameter hollow tube at the rear of the trigger group.
This will allow the trigger assembly to move back enough to allow you to pull the spring out, and insert the new one.
Old January 7, 2005, 08:47 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Sounds to pricy to me

I purchased a used 870 field gun and built one much like the one in your address.
I used a Choti (I think that spelling is right) stock with pistol grip much like the one your looking at. A Pachmier pump, and a rememgtion mag extension.
And a new slug barrel and diddnt have any where near that price.
Gun was about 250, stock 100 and pump 35 and the extension around 70 slug barrel 85.
You can get flashlights any where and most of the parts you can install your self very easly.
So if you have to have a new Police MAX go for it, but if your looking for a good home gun then buy a used and build it your self, youll be happier both ways, but a lot more satasfied being able to say you did it your self.
Below is a location for CHOATE stocks and they have then for as low as $62

http://www.uws.com/CHOATE/HomePage.html
Old January 7, 2005, 09:27 PM   #4
45R

The shotgun, Surefire and Ghost ring sites alone will run you near 600 dollars, this doesnt include the PG stock. Might as well just buy the Remington moodel.
Old January 9, 2005, 03:42 AM   #5
random_alias

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the price is reasonable for what I would be getting. It's also nice to know for sure that the spring are interchangeable. Man this is an awesome gun. I hope I can get it.
Old January 9, 2005, 04:28 AM   #6
AUG

Seems like a nice gun and a decent deal but I just can't stand pistol grip stocks like the one that comes on that gun.
Old January 9, 2005, 05:28 AM   #7
random_alias

I've never fired a shotgun with a pistol gripped stock, and I don't have access to one. What about firing with the pistol grip turns you off?
Old January 10, 2005, 12:43 AM   #8
AUG

I just don't like the feel of the pistol gripped shoulder stocks. In every class I have ever attented they also seem slower and more cumbersome. Pretty much I don't like anything about them.