The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 23, 2022, 11:35 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

remove smell from gun

So I recently acquired a PSA AK-47. The gun has a FUNKY smell, best guess is burnt machining oil. I cant quite put my finger on it. Trying to figure out how to get rid of the smell. I have already cleaned it, wiped everything down. Applied frog lube paste, which has kind of a minty smell. Hit all the parts with a heat gun to warm it all up and help the frog lube to adhere to the parts. Its a little better, but I can still smell it. Its like its in the metal.

Gotta say this is the first time I have run into this issue. I figured a cleaning with some good smelling lubricant would solve the problem. Any ideas?

Last edited by Shadow9mm; November 24, 2022 at 12:18 AM.
Old November 24, 2022, 12:44 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Detail strip the gun. DEGREASE all metal with appropriate solvent. Seal all wood with something impervious (or replace wood with other wood)

Reassemble, check for smell. Lube properly and use.

I say seal the wood, simply because its easier. IF the smell is coming from something that has "soaked into the wood" you may never get it out, only seal it off.

Alternately, painting everything might cover up the smell...then you'll just smell the paint,.....
Old November 24, 2022, 12:46 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Odors can't be absorbed into metal.
Take the gun out of the stock. Clean the metal parts with mineral spirits, then oil with something that's not stinky.
Check the stock to see if any old grease or oil is present and stinking.
Old November 24, 2022, 01:51 PM   #4
Sevens

I can't help with chi-com stuff but I would stay MILES away from Frog Lube. When that stuff goes bad it turns all sliding parts in to S L O W motion machines.

I believe there is a fantastic triumvirate of horrendous fluids that should never be put inside firearms. WD-40, Frog Lube and Rem Oil. There are certainly others, but these are the ones that gunfolks goof with and they are bad.
Old November 24, 2022, 02:21 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Nothing wrong with WD 40, properly used.
Old November 24, 2022, 05:36 PM   #6
stagpanther

Does it have a fishy smell like tuna gone bad? I once had the pleasure of cleaning an old original JM marlin that had been abandoned in a garage for over 30 years and that sucker was a mess and reeked bad. My theory was it had been cleaned and lubricated with some kind of lube that had natural components--beeswax mixed with God know's what and it simply went rancid. Stuff didn't come entirely out with just a petroleum based solvent, either.
Old November 25, 2022, 02:48 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Does it have a fishy smell like tuna gone bad? I once had the pleasure of cleaning an old original JM marlin that had been abandoned in a garage for over 30 years and that sucker was a mess and reeked bad. My theory was it had been cleaned and lubricated with some kind of lube that had natural components--beeswax mixed with God know's what and it simply went rancid. Stuff didn't come entirely out with just a petroleum based solvent, either.
Yes, kind of a fishy burnt grease smell. But is from the factory. Either the grease or lubricant, or machening oil
Old November 25, 2022, 02:49 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I can't help with chi-com stuff but I would stay MILES away from Frog Lube. When that stuff goes bad it turns all sliding parts in to S L O W motion machines.

I believe there is a fantastic triumvirate of horrendous fluids that should never be put inside firearms. WD-40, Frog Lube and Rem Oil. There are certainly others, but these are the ones that gunfolks goof with and they are bad.
Never had a problem with frog lube when properly applied. Trick is to heat it to get it to adhere to the metal, then wipe of the excess. Never had it go bad, been using it for a few years now.
Old November 27, 2022, 01:41 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Remove front sight. Drag stinky AK out from underneath and throw away, Replace with "non stinky AK". Reinstall front sight.

Problem solved!!!

(and re-using the front sight is entirely optional,,,)
Old November 27, 2022, 02:37 PM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
Yes, kind of a fishy burnt grease smell. But is from the factory. Either the grease or lubricant, or machening oil
I for one would be fascinated to hear what the response from PSA is--have you called them and told them their new AK was a stinker?
Old November 27, 2022, 06:16 PM   #11
Shadow9mm

Well, I got to check zero on it yesterday. Standing braced on a tripod with iron sights it groped about 2in at 50yds but about 2in to the left.

However having fired only 3 rounds, as I am still looking for a sight tool. I think the ammo may be the issue. Its steel cased lacquered with a cyrillic head stamp. Smell was strong after firing those 3 rounds. I need to burn through that ammo next range outing. only have about 57round of the stuff. then clean the gun out again. Hopefully it will go away in time.
Old November 28, 2022, 02:03 AM   #12
FrankenMauser

Give the rifle a detail strip and full douche and scrub with mineral spirits.
After that, stop firing combloc ammo that is loaded with propellant based on cow dung and sheep urine.
Old November 28, 2022, 02:32 AM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
Well, I got to check zero on it yesterday. Standing braced on a tripod with iron sights it groped about 2in at 50yds but about 2in to the left.

However having fired only 3 rounds, as I am still looking for a sight tool. I think the ammo may be the issue. Its steel cased lacquered with a cyrillic head stamp. Smell was strong after firing those 3 rounds. I need to burn through that ammo next range outing. only have about 57round of the stuff. then clean the gun out again. Hopefully it will go away in time.
Not all comblock bulk ammo is that bad--I've found Wolf polyformance to be excellent in my PSA AK.
Old November 28, 2022, 06:45 AM   #14
Shadow9mm

Apparently is Russian produced BVA. Lead core non corrosive. But man is it stinkey. Thankfully i only have 57rnds of yhe stuff to get rid of.
Old November 28, 2022, 11:54 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

@Shadow9mm - Does BVA stand for the refrigeration oil?
Old November 28, 2022, 07:46 PM   #16
Shadow9mm

I think its best value ammunition.