The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 14, 2022, 07:25 PM   #1
USAF Ret

7X57 Mauser

I like me some Ruger Number 1s. They sell new ones in 257 Weatherby, 6.5 Creedmoor and 7x57 Mauser.

I am looking at a 270 on Gunbroker, but I can get a new one for the same price.

I have seen brass available for 7x57 reloading and in modern rifles they see to have some good ballistics.

Anyone have any experience? Would it be better just to buy the 270?
Old November 14, 2022, 08:28 PM   #2
hammie

I had a 200th year liberty model 77 ruger, chambered for 7x57mm. My wife bought it new for me in 1977 and I hunted with it for a few years. Later it went to my son and he has taken many deer with it for decades. We always loaded it with hornady 139 grain interlocks and they worked fine on deer. About 10 years ago, I found myself missing the cartridge, and so bought a ruger 1A, chambered for 7x57mm. I haven't fired it in years and can't comment on what it's capabilities, but the 1A is short and handy. I recently bought some 130 grain, .284 diameter speer boat tail bullets with the idea of shooting my 1A again, but haven't loaded any yet. The 130 grain bullets should be pretty flat shooting and might make a good deer bullet (deer, but not elk).

The Ruger #1, .275 Rigby (that you're considering) would be an elegant and classic rifle. As for the 7x57 cartridge, there's a thread going right now about deer camp rifles. It is surprising how many hunters are using the 7mm mauser cartridge. I suspect they represent an older and more experienced demographic. In any case, I can't remember seeing a used 7x57 sporting rifle on the used gun rack. People who own them are clearly keeping them. That being said, if I were starting from scratch and looking for a 7mm rifle, I would go with a 7mm-08. As for the .270 Winchester cartridge, I would look for a .280 Remington instead, but that's just a personal quirk of mine.

Last edited by hammie; November 14, 2022 at 08:38 PM.
Old November 14, 2022, 08:38 PM   #3
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammie View Post
I had a 200th year liberty model 77 ruger, chambered for 7x57mm. My wife bought it new for me in 1977 and I hunted with it for a few years. Later it went to my son and he has taken many deer with it for decades. We always loaded it with hornady 139 grain interlocks and they worked fine on deer. About 10 years ago, I found myself missing the cartridge, and so bought a ruger 1A, chambered for 7x57mm. I haven't fired it in years and can't comment on what it's capabilities, but the 1A is short and handy. I recently bought some 130 grain, .284 diameter speer boat tail bullets with the idea of shooting my 1A again, but haven't loaded any yet. The 130 grain bullets should be pretty flat shooting and might make a good deer bullet (deer, but not elk).

The Ruger #1, .275 Rigby (that you're considering) would be an elegant and classic rifle. As for the 7x57 cartridge, there's a thread going right now about deer camp rifles. It is surprising how many hunters are using the 7mm mauser cartridge. I suspect they represent an older and more experienced demographic. In any case, I can't remember seeing a used 7x57 sporting rifle on the used gun rack. People who own them are clearly keeping them. That being said, if I were starting from scratch and looking for a 7mm rifle, I would go with a 7mm-08. As for the .270 Winchester cartridge, I would look for a .280 Remington instead, but that's just a personal quirk of mine.
Not so much about the caliber, but the rifle. One of my few dream rifles. That and a BAR Safari BOSS.

With all the input here, I am stuck on the 270. I can get a No. 1 in 270 for about the same price as a 7X57 brand new. So, since I have started reloading, I don;t have t worry about ammo. Brass seems plentiful.

Only issue buying on Gubroker, you never know the condition of the barrel. Although, I ask.
Old November 14, 2022, 08:44 PM   #4
hammie

Then there's nothing wrong with the Ruger #1, .275 Rigby. It has a 24 inch barrel, which might add a little more velocity, but still be a short handy rifle with the falling block action.
Old November 14, 2022, 09:22 PM   #5
USAF Ret

I need to call the shop back tomorrow. They request a deposit then the wait time is unknown.
Old November 14, 2022, 09:41 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

I'd say it depends on what you want out of the cartridge. The 7mm bore size runs bullet up to 175gr commonly, but .270 has very few bullets over 150gr made today.

Despite being a lower pressure round the 7mm Mauser is very close to the .270 in performance.

in the Ruger No.1, action length is the same for both rounds, so the length and weight difference in the bolt actions doesn't matter.

Either one would be a good choice, If you want to shoot heavier than 150gr, the 7mm has more choices.
Old November 15, 2022, 04:04 PM   #7
FITASC

The 7x57 is also very close to the 7-08 and the old Swede, 6.5x55
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 15, 2022, 05:08 PM   #8
USAF Ret

Thanks for the input. Told the shop I would decide by the end of the week. Watching a 270 right now.
Old November 15, 2022, 09:47 PM   #9
USAF Ret

Found a 270 WIN for a decent price in a Ruger No. 1. Supposedly had just been rebarreled by Ruger, but seller only had a shipping invoice. I noticed folks saying that rebarreling often leads to accuracy issues and someone else mentioned accuracy in general. I may not do the No. 1 after all. Beautiful rifles, but beauty fades with less than acceptable accuracy.

Last edited by USAF Ret; November 15, 2022 at 10:14 PM.
Old November 17, 2022, 04:47 PM   #10
old roper

USAF Ret, I have 3-#1 and all three have been rebarrel. I didn't have Ruger do them but they should be record if they did them. Owner should provide that before you buy.
NRA Life Member
Old November 17, 2022, 09:23 PM   #11
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by old roper View Post
USAF Ret, I have 3-#1 and all three have been rebarrel. I didn't have Ruger do them but they should be record if they did them. Owner should provide that before you buy.
He provided a receipt, but there was information on it about the work done. I would like to trust him, but too much money to take a chance.
Old November 17, 2022, 10:24 PM   #12
Shadow9mm

If you have the serial # you could call ruger and ask if its had any work done?
Old November 17, 2022, 11:58 PM   #13
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
You know what, I did not think of that. Might do that tomorrow. Thanks boss.
Old November 18, 2022, 02:49 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
ALL Ruger can tell you is the condition it was in when it left the factory, and if Ruger has done any subsequent work on it. They can't tell you if someone else did any work on it, or what was done.
Old November 18, 2022, 04:13 PM   #15
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
ALL Ruger can tell you is the condition it was in when it left the factory, and if Ruger has done any subsequent work on it. They can't tell you if someone else did any work on it, or what was done.
I called Ruger and they confirmed the rifle was rebarreled to the original caliber a month ago - 270 Win. Bought it this afternoon. I will not be looking at the 7x57 as the goal was to get a No.1.

Last edited by USAF Ret; November 18, 2022 at 08:10 PM.
Old November 18, 2022, 06:27 PM   #16
USAF Ret

Ordered a Jard 2 1/2lb trigger. That is an immediate upgrade. That will be my reload focus for a while.
Old November 19, 2022, 05:12 AM   #17
std7mag

I use 7X57 Mauser brass to form 257 Roderts, Roberts AI, 6mm Rem.

Built my daughter a custom Mauser in 7X57 Mauser.
Essentially duplicates 7mm-08 ballistics.
She's taken 2 does thus far with the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.
Distances 70ish yards & 305 yards.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old November 19, 2022, 09:17 AM   #18
hooligan1

.270 Winchester

USAF, thats a real nice cartridge also, and theres a wealth of info here on it... Cant wait to hear what you will test...
Old November 19, 2022, 10:04 AM   #19
gwpercle

I have hunted white tail deer and feral hogs in South Louisiana with a 7 X 57 Mauser for about 40 years . That 7 X 57 is my "Go To" when going hunting . Shots are not bean field
long so a 154 gr. Hornady RN always delivered . 160 gr. Nosler spire points were used on the few bean field hunts ... they work too .

All in all ... I believe the 7 X 57 has a lot going for it and a Ruger #1 in 7 X 57 would be my "Dream Come True" .

Congratulations on scoring a Home Run with the bases loaded !

Gary
Old November 19, 2022, 01:27 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Essentially duplicates 7mm-08 ballistics.
PITA point of order about terms. An older, previously existing item does not, and can not "duplicate" a newer item.

It is incorrect, and improper to say the 7mm Mauser "Essentially duplicates 7mm-08 ballistics.". (7mm Mauser - 1892, 7mm-08 - 1980)

Saying the reverse, that the 7mm-08 essentially duplicates 7mm Mauser ballistics, is correct, both in fact and in grammar.
Old November 19, 2022, 05:10 PM   #21
Paul B.

"The 7x57 is also very close to the 7-08 and the old Swede, 6.5x55."

I run three 7x57 rifles including a Ruger #1A with 22" barrel. My pet load for all three rifles run a 150 gr' Nosler Partition at 2880 FPS. It's my winter time hunting load for the cartridge. During the summer I drop it back to2800 FPS as the winter load is just slightly sticky when it's 105 in the 5he shade.
Paul B.
Old November 19, 2022, 05:25 PM   #22
Paul B.

"I called Ruger and they confirmed the rifle was rebarreled to the original caliber a month ago - 270 Win. Bought it this afternoon. I will not be looking at the 7x57 as the goal was to get a No.1."

I think you made a wise choice. Me saying that and $5.00 might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, maybe but as big a fan as I am about the 7x57 cartridge, you'll most likely find it easier to find ammo for the .270 than the 7x57. I think most Ruger #1s will give decent hunting accuracy and some can be excellent. My #1A in .270 is at best a 1.5" rifle with factory. I can run a handload using the 150 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter bullet to almost 2900 FPS using a now long gone Winchester Ball powder that will sometimes do .50" but runs closer to .75" on average. I have 21 Ruger #1 rifles in various models and of that group, only two have been unsatisfactory regarding accuracy for hunting. Both are #1B models and both ib 30-06. One of those two was the first #1 I ever saw at a gun shop in Sparks Nevada back in 1975. Paid through the nose but it came home with my. The second I picked up in a trade. Just a hint, but I've found sometimes a heavier bullet works a little better in the Number Ones. Just something to consider.
Paul B.
Old November 19, 2022, 09:26 PM   #23
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B. View Post
"I called Ruger and they confirmed the rifle was rebarreled to the original caliber a month ago - 270 Win. Bought it this afternoon. I will not be looking at the 7x57 as the goal was to get a No.1."

I think you made a wise choice. Me saying that and $5.00 might get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks, maybe but as big a fan as I am about the 7x57 cartridge, you'll most likely find it easier to find ammo for the .270 than the 7x57. I think most Ruger #1s will give decent hunting accuracy and some can be excellent. My #1A in .270 is at best a 1.5" rifle with factory. I can run a handload using the 150 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter bullet to almost 2900 FPS using a now long gone Winchester Ball powder that will sometimes do .50" but runs closer to .75" on average. I have 21 Ruger #1 rifles in various models and of that group, only two have been unsatisfactory regarding accuracy for hunting. Both are #1B models and both ib 30-06. One of those two was the first #1 I ever saw at a gun shop in Sparks Nevada back in 1975. Paid through the nose but it came home with my. The second I picked up in a trade. Just a hint, but I've found sometimes a heavier bullet works a little better in the Number Ones. Just something to consider.
Paul B.
Thanks Paul. I have some 150 grain Long Range Accubonds for big critter and have some 140 TGKs for deer.

Man, that is a collection of number ones. I have heard the factory trigger is pretty stout. I jumped the gun and ordered a JARD in 2,5 lbs. Called the seller and he checked the trigger at a crisp 3.25 lbs. So, I may send it back. My sweet spot for hunting is 2.5 - 3.5 lbs. 3 lbs being my sweet spot.
Old November 20, 2022, 12:06 AM   #24
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I have heard the factory trigger is pretty stout.
I don't know what they're making today, the older No.1 I had was adjustable trigger.
Old November 20, 2022, 08:16 AM   #25
std7mag

Ok, i'm lost....
Was this thread about the 7X57 Mauser cartridge?
Or just finding a Ruger #1, no matter the cartridge?

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...