The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 22, 2022, 06:41 PM   #1
jdc606

Percussion Caps?

I called CCI today and inquired about percussion caps. I didn't specify #11's but was told by the CCI rep that they are making and shipping percussion caps. I cannot find them anywhere. Not available through the big online retailers like Midway, Graf & Sons, Mid-south shooter supply, etc. Not finding them in local Cabela's, Scheels, or farm supply stores.
Anyone out there finding #11 CCI's, #10 Rems, or RWS 1075's? Thinking the components for percussion caps are the same as primers, so percussion caps are taking a back seat.
Old August 22, 2022, 07:03 PM   #2
Pahoo

Common situation

Quote:
Anyone out there finding #11 CCI's, #10 Rems, or RWS 1075's? Thinking the components for percussion caps are the same as primers, so percussion caps are taking a back seat.
I hope it's not a reginal thing but here in eastern Iowa, they are hard to find. I have seen some 10's but not many 11's. We are having our first local Hunter Ed. class and I hope I have enough to support that class. My reserves are not all that great. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 22, 2022, 07:12 PM   #3
Nodak1858

Same up here in ND. I actually picked up 2k musket caps from Graffs earlier this year. I changed over one of my rifles the use them so I can help stretch out my standard caps.
Old August 22, 2022, 07:29 PM   #4
jdc606

Southern Mn.

I'm in southern Minnesota where no percussion caps are to be found. Noticed an ominous trend on Gunbroker. You could find outrageously costly #11's a while back. There are now only #10 CCI's being listed.
Old August 23, 2022, 11:05 AM   #5
Hawg

My LGS keeps #11 CCI in stock.
Old August 23, 2022, 01:14 PM   #6
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
My LGS keeps #11 CCI in stock.
That's lucky for you. Looked on GunBroker this morning and see several thousand CCI #10's and 11"s listed, all from a single vendor. I wonder how CCI decides where to ship the product? At least one listing is for CCI #11 Magnums which I think are a new product, not NOS.
Old August 23, 2022, 02:21 PM   #7
darkgael

I ordered 1000 CCI #11 caps from Midway last Friday. They were delivered today.
Old August 23, 2022, 02:43 PM   #8
jrinne0430

No caps here in Northern Virginia. I converted my rifles and shotguns to musket caps (can be found) so I could save the no 10s I have for my revolvers. I also just started experimenting with making no 10s from soda cans and the kit from 22lr reloader. They work but are tedious to make.
Old August 24, 2022, 08:59 AM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc606 View Post
That's lucky for you. Looked on GunBroker this morning and see several thousand CCI #10's and 11"s listed, all from a single vendor. I wonder how CCI decides where to ship the product? At least one listing is for CCI #11 Magnums which I think are a new product, not NOS.
I don't know but they kept ammo all through the so called pandemic. At one point they had a four box limit but it didn't last long.
Old August 24, 2022, 05:26 PM   #10
armoredman

MidwayUSA continues to show nothing in stock. A buddy of mine has been making his own, and I might try that.
Old August 25, 2022, 05:30 AM   #11
darkgael

Midway…..I am supposing that I was lucky. Maybe I bought the last one in stock.
Old August 25, 2022, 05:06 PM   #12
jdc606

Good news

Today I found a bunch of CCI #11's at Scheels. Clerk said they had arrived only yesterday. Priced at $9.99 per hundred.
Old August 25, 2022, 06:37 PM   #13
Pahoo

Don't give up !!!

It seems that it's a case of doing some hit and miss, shopping. Right now this website has them, in stock. Sure to be a different story, whenever ....

Be Safe !!!

https://www.kygunco.com/product/cci-...ampaign=Go-Pew
Old August 26, 2022, 09:12 AM   #14
Deltadart

I live 90 miles from CCI and there are no percussion caps in the north Idaho or eastern Washington area either. I have made caps for years with a Forster Tap-O-Cap now discontinued. .22reloader makes a good one as well. The primer mix used for .22 LR reloading is also for percussion caps. They work pretty well. You mix 4 parts in a small quantity, add a small scoop of the mix to the cap formed from beer cans, a drop of acetone and let them dry. A little slow but just manage your time well. On a side note, you can use strip brass from Amazon which is about .004 or .005 thick. The caps are much more durable than the aluminum caps. Some claim they hold onto the nipples better. In my experience the brass caps do not get mangled as do CCIs or the aluminum home made. They almost retain their shape perfectly. I just picked up a Uberti Remington NMA carbine and I am hoping they will help with the blow back from having your face close to the hammer when the gun fires.
Old August 28, 2022, 11:39 PM   #15
44 AMP
Staff

Friend of mine did some looking for caps for another friend of his who couldn't find any. Eastern WA (tri cities) online NADA, local shops, nada, local "big box" sporting good stores, NADA.

Cabela's in Yakima, had a bunch. Sent his friend there, and he was happy. That was a few weeks back, they're probably sold out, today.

Point is, there seems to be no positive predictive pattern who will have what, when, these days. Big online retailer might get nothing and a local mom & pop outfit might have plenty. Or vice versa. You just have to check everywhere and keep doing it as these things come and go.

Far from the "good old days" but we're not there, anymore....sadly...
Old August 29, 2022, 08:31 AM   #16
Deltadart

44AMP They have been scarce in Spokane area for a long time, I thought about going to Yakima, but 3hrs each way plus the cost of fuel still 4.74 in our neck of the woods was just too much. I will continue to make the ones from aluminum cans and brass strips. They work well and the cost is low. Punch them out, make the mix, a drop of acetone, let them dry, and mist with rave hair spray.
Old August 29, 2022, 06:57 PM   #17
jrinne0430

Quote:
…mist with rave hair spray.
Why must with hair spray? Does it help keep the mix in the caps?
Old August 29, 2022, 07:22 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

My friend found them in Yakima by calling the store. He didn't go there he just called them and talked to "a kid" (we're old, they're ALL kids to us these days), who first thought he was looking for ammo, then apologized for the confusion when he did understand what was being sought.

No, don't drive a 6+hr road trip in the hope that something MIGHT be there. Unless, of course, you just enjoy the trip...
Old August 29, 2022, 07:42 PM   #19
Deltadart

If you make up a bunch of caps and put them in tin for holding caps like the factory uses, it does not take much bouncing around to have a lot of powder in the tin not in the cups. Just misting with a cheap spray seems to keep more powder in the cups, and I suppose but am not sure some what of a moisture barrier. Just wait till the acetone has flashed off, ususally a few hours to be sure before spraying.
Old August 29, 2022, 07:50 PM   #20
Deltadart

44 AMP Yup they are kids at our ages. Nope I would not drive to Yakima from Cheney for caps, before I retired I covered 5 western states and Alaska in my job, usually drive, not Alaska, as a sales guy. Love Yakima but nope, even if the caps were there it would be way too expensive. The homemade ones work pretty well, using brass strip or aluminum cans. The residue is corrosive so it must be cleaned very well, but you must clean black powder residue also, not a problem. Bad enough driving to Sandpoint to pickup black powder, but thats only 70 miles.
Old August 29, 2022, 08:21 PM   #21
jrinne0430

Deltadart, I may try the hair spray option you mentioned. I noticed that the mix are not too secure in the cups. Sometimes the mix will fall out when caping the revolver or just handling them…been looking for a method to secure the mix to the caps.
Old August 30, 2022, 12:42 AM   #22
Deltadart

Jrinne0430, give the Rave a try, it's about $2.60 a can at Walmart, not a big investment one way or the other. But I suppose any hair spray will work. Seems to work, certainly better than half the primer in the tin.
Old August 30, 2022, 01:08 AM   #23
44 AMP
Staff

Something else you might try, just to see how or IF it works, dilute water/white glue (at least 50/50 thinner might be better) or even Karo syrup (corn syrup) thinned with water from a hand pump sprayer.

The idea is to act as a fixative, right? keep the cap powder in place but something the cap can easily burn through?

I thought of model spray paint, the clear lacquer, but that might be too much you'd have to experiment. Glue, cornsyrup, water, and a cheap spray bottle might even be something you have on hand already (and quite cheaper than spray sealant/paint/lacquer).

Good Luck with the process.
Old August 30, 2022, 08:23 AM   #24
Deltadart

Yes, that is the idea. Homemade caps work very well and are dirt cheap once you have the die or dies. .22LRreloader sells the die now, used to come from Forster Products 20 years ago, however they discontinued. The compound is available from .22LRreloader, the prodlem was the fixative how to keep the power in the cup. I will be making up some caps later this week,I had not thought of the syrup/water, so I will give that a try, I have it and a spray bottle. Like everything else, it's a definite no if you don't try or ask. Also a great excuse to spend more time reloading something or anything.
Old August 30, 2022, 12:22 PM   #25
44 AMP
Staff

I would suggest not spraying directly on, even with just hand pump pressure. Spraying above, and letting the "mist" settle down and build up to the desired level would be the method I would try, first, anyway.

Spraying directly on or at MIGHT result in scattering what you don't want scattered. I don't know, and am only generally familiar with what you are working with.

Try different things, different methods of application. When you find something that works, great. If you don't, keep trying different things. It all any of us can do. Hope this helps.

Good Luck, enjoy shooting!