The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2023, 06:48 AM   #26
Rimfire5

I would generally concur with stagpanther for almost every rifle.
But with the .30-30, most traditional bullets are soft nosed and vary considerably out of the same box, probably due to deformation of the soft tip.

The 160 FTX has a higher BC, and very little variation bullet to bullet box to box.
The 140 GTX, now the CX I think, also has low variation and might be another choice, but it is all copper. With my rifle, it shoots almost as well as the 160 FTX, both with LeveRevolution powder.
Your rifle my shoot the lighter bullets better than the FTX. Every barrel is different. It might even shoot even heavier bullets well.

All the soft nose bullets in my 30-30 shoot groups that are larger by 50%. They are pretty consistent in group size, but the groups are larger.
Old January 31, 2023, 10:54 AM   #27
stagpanther

I agree variation is a big factor, but maybe it's just my particular rifle that prefers the 170 spire points. Funny enough, I've never had much luck with ftx's and leverlution in mine. 1.5" at 100 I'd consider pretty good with any 30-30 recipe. My best results so far have been with winchester power points. I would also like to try Nosler's 150 gr round nose bullets--if I can ever find them.

Last edited by stagpanther; January 31, 2023 at 11:14 AM.
Old January 31, 2023, 12:30 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret
Next loading, I will spread my sample size to 1/2 grain between loads.
That's a little big, IMHO. A rule of thumb for seeking a node load is steps of 0.7% to 1.0%. For you, 0.3 grains per step falls right in the middle and is a good number to use. If you are working up a load while looking for pressure signs, then 2% steps are adequate.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 31, 2023, 12:53 PM   #29
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclenick View Post
That's a little big, IMHO. A rule of thumb for seeking a node load is steps of 0.7% to 1.0%. For you, 0.3 grains per step falls right in the middle and is a good number to use. If you are working up a load while looking for pressure signs, then 2% steps are adequate.
Yessir, been reading and watching info on the node calculation. Mark has been sending me recommendations as well.