The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 19, 2023, 02:37 AM   #1
jstert

s&w shield 380acp ez as a ccw?

does anyone here do so? what is your carry experience, holster recommendation?

i have both the 9mm and 380acp ez models. i way prefer the 380acp: less recoil and crisper trigger reset. i will probably sell off the 9mm.

i’m specifically not looking for advice to keep the 9mm model.

my ccw is always and certainly lawful but must be unobtrusive for social reasons. my current ccw is a keltec p32 or sometimes a j-frame 38sp revolver. my only complaint about the p32 is ammo is too scarce and pricey for as much practice as i would like. while i practice my j-frame with speedloaders i feel a need for a bit more capacity and quicker reloads these days.

thank you.
Old January 19, 2023, 09:30 AM   #2
blchandl2

Interested as well.

@jstert: How do you carry your p32? I am curious about that as well.
Old January 19, 2023, 04:39 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

I often carry a 380 Smith EZ - I use a Fobus OTB holster covered up by a shirt-tail or a jacket - an easy carry and it doesn't print on me. Icarry at about 3 o'clock on my right side.

I have a 9mm Shieldm but I'm "older" and I find it a bit hard to rack sometimes with my hands. My other carry pieces are either a Smith & Wesson Model 36 snub or a Glock 26 - depending on where I'm going to be.

I like my 380 EZ both for conceal carry as well as just shooting - a fun gun. I'll leave the arguments over caliber to those who get hung up on "what caliber is best?".

I also carry a spare magazine for the 380 EZ or the Glock 26.

Personally, I think the 380 EZ is a good handgun and reliable - light and easy to carry on the belt. I have never been able to be comfortable carrying in the waistband. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a 9mm EZ or handle one - but if I get the chance and I like it, I'll get rid of the 9mm Shield and go with the 9mm EZ.

I don't know if that helps or not . . . but I like my 380 EZ a lot. The Dovua paddle holster is easy to put on and take off - adequately coves the trigger but allows for easy and quick withdrawal from the holster and the retention can be adjusted with a screw. While it has a grip safety, I also have the one with the ambit safety lever. I have had a number of semi-autos and I learned decades ago how to easily sweep the safety off while drawing from the holster - for those who don't want to utilize it - leave it off as you still have the grip safety.

Some filks like oranges - some like apples - so it's an individual thing, but of the many handguns I've carried over the years - the 380 EZ has beeline fo the easiest.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 20, 2023, 12:15 AM   #4
jstert

blchandl2: i carry the keltec p32 in a blackhawk, 3 slot, nylon, owb, pancake holster that cinches tight to my right side at about 3:00 under an untucked shirt. i don’t recall the holster size #, i’m away at a non-gun locale now. if rarely carried in a pocket then a remora sticky holster.

bedbugbilly: thank you for the greatly informative reply. i will look into a fobus paddle holster for the 380ez. all of my holsters are bargain-bin nylon ones that can fit multiple handguns. yeah, i’m “frugal.” i didn’t want to buy a model specific plastic or leather holster and be unhappy with its concealability. there is a noticeable difference between the two ez models. for its target market the 9ez is a near miss, the 380ez is a solid hit. i only got the 9ez because i had no 9mm pistol and wanted to take advantage of cheaper 9mm ammo.
Old January 20, 2023, 03:11 PM   #5
gc70

Holsters:

I have a Bulldog medium size leather belt slide holster that works with the EZ9 and my wife's EZ380 and Ruger SR22. The guns are secure in the holster, which holds them close to the body.

A kydex inside-the-waistband holster that I bought at a local gun show works with both the EZ9 and EZ380. My wife finds that holster acceptable; I don't find IWB holsters to be comfortable.

Guns:

Something came up at the last minute on Wednesday and my wife couldn't go to the range with me. Since the guns had been packed earlier, I had a rare chance to shoot her guns (I actually had instructions to rotate the 380 defense ammo). I had forgotten that her Ruger SR22 needs about the same force to rack as the EZ9 and possibly a tad less than her Ruger LC380; the EZ380 is markedly easier to rack than any of those.

I cannot tell much difference in felt recoil between the 22 and the 380s. The 380s are both locked breech designs that distribute recoil so it is not harsh and abrupt like a blowback design. My wife says the LC380 has the most felt recoil, probably due to its smaller grip size. She says recoil feels different but there is no practical difference in her controlling the recoil between the SR22 and EZ380.

Full disclosure:

My wife has had reconstructive surgery on her hand; she lost a great deal of the grip strength in her hand and has difficulty racking the slide on most pistols.

The EZ380 had last-round-stovepipe issues (most common in early-production models) until S&W replaced the barrel.
Old January 21, 2023, 10:03 AM   #6
Cary

DeSantis Gunhide Mini Scabird is the holsters I use on my 9 &380 EZ guns. I use that brand & model on three of my autoloader. I wear them at the 4:00 position OTWB. They work well for me. I purchased the last one in March of 2022 and payed $36 which is a good price for a quality leather holster. I just looked and the price has increased. The other gun I carry with one of these holsters is a Walther PPS M2. ITWB doesn't work for me and I like leather.
Old January 21, 2023, 04:30 PM   #7
czgunner

I had a buddy buy one as his first carry gun. He bought a standard M&P after running a training course with me. He found it clunky and easy to manipulate. Your experience may very well differ.