The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 13, 2022, 12:57 PM   #1
a34

Need help identifying a revolver and production date

Gents,

I was at the LGS today and this gentleman walked in with a pistol to sell. The LGS passed on it at $60 stating that was the going price for one in this condition and advising the seller to put it online. I told him I'd give $60 for it, and I brought it home, complete with holster. I can't find much info on it online. I'm hoping someone here can help ID the pistol. The butt says H&R, Worcester, MA. and the top of the frame says .32 S&W, and has a 4" barrel. I think it's a Victor model due to the unfluted cylinder. Any ideas on what she is? Did I get rooked?

Looking closer at it, it appears the front sight and cylinder pin have been changed. And what's up with the loading gate? Never seen something like that.

This has a 53,xxx serial number. Anyone have any manufacturing timeline data? I couldn't find anything online.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg H&R (2).jpeg (959.0 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpeg H&R.jpeg (591.7 KB, 189 views)
Old December 13, 2022, 01:41 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Vorisek does not get into serialization of those early solid frame H&Rs, but that might well be a 19th century revolver.

The loading gate looks homemade and it probably came along the same time as the sight and base pin.
Old December 14, 2022, 05:39 PM   #3
a34

Thanks!
Old December 31, 2022, 01:51 PM   #4
a34

12/31/22 - Update on my little H&R. I shot a box of 50 through it the other day. It shoots high, or at least I shoot high with it. It’s very pleasant to shoot with no recoil. A little loud, you definitely need ear plugs, but not too bad without them. It was hard to see the front sight and I had to keep pointing it to the side at my white target to reacquire the front sight and then back on target. That’s due to my old eyes, not the pistol, a little bit of white paint on the front sight would help me. After a couple of cylinders, I was able to get rounds on target at 7 and 15 yards shooting offhand, left, right and both hands. At 25 yards, I missed completely. The grips are a little small for my liking. I think if I lived in the 1920’s or 30’s and wanted an EDC, I’d carry something else. 1911 Maybe?

I noticed after the first couple of cylinders that it didn’t want to work in SA mode. I had to shoot in DA mode. And at some point, one of the frame pins almost worked itself out. I noticed it towards the end of shooting and was able to push it back in. All in all, still happy I bought it. It’s a nice addition to the collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H&R targer.JPG (47.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg H&R revolver.JPG (58.1 KB, 102 views)
Old January 17, 2023, 09:51 AM   #5
Jeff_French

Your revolver appears to be an H&R Victor built on the #3 American frame. It should be roll marked:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...1&d=1673966667
I think I can see in your last pic where the word VICTOR has been removed.

At any rate, it was produced in the era 1915 - 1928. Yours has a very late serial number and would be a late production model.

The Victor models were never cataloged.

I agree with you on the front sight and base pin.

The loading gate is non-original to this revolver.

This model was made for the .32 S&W Long.

I hope this is helpful.
Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (37.7 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by Jeff_French; January 17, 2023 at 10:04 AM.

Tags
h&r .32 , victor