The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 28, 2022, 11:19 AM   #1
taylorce1

Looking to upgrade my AR optics!

Looking to add optics to one rifle in 5.56, and swap out my Red Dot off my AR pistol in .300 BLK. I'm wanting a LPVO on both and am thinking a 1-6 or 1-8 on the 5.56. There are a lot of options but I'm looking at the Burris RT6, or USO TS-6/8.

The sights I'm currently using on my .300 BLK pistol is the Sig Romeo MSR with Juliet 3X magnifier. It works okay but I'd like a little more precise for aiming than a 2 MOA dot. So I'm thinking I can find a different optic to use with my magnifier with better aiming points or go with a 1-4 variable with illuminated reticle.

I was going to order a SWFA SS 1-4X24 for the $199 black Friday price, but they weren't in stock backorder only. So I looked for other optics, and now I can't even backorder the SWFA. Currently I'm looking at the Bushnell AR Optic 1-4X24 FFP scope.
Old November 28, 2022, 11:51 AM   #2
stagpanther

If you like small and fast and use both eyes open--take a look at burris RT3.
Old November 28, 2022, 12:06 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

Im hoping to get a primary arms 1-6 with the acss reticle next month. They run about $400. But having the ffp means at 1x it acts like a red dot. And at 6x i have a precise aim point and easily readable yardage drop lines.
Old November 28, 2022, 01:25 PM   #4
MarkCO

Burris RT6 is a great optic that compares well to much higher priced optics and blows away the same budget competition.

Cyber Monday sale on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Burris-200472...22&sr=8-3&th=1
Old November 28, 2022, 01:33 PM   #5
USAF Ret

I got a Bushnell Trophy Quick Acquisition 1-6x24 Riflescope, Illuminated Dot Drop Reticle for my 30-30. It's pretty sweet. You may be looking for less magnification, though.

Got a buddy who has a 4x Nikon that he is looking to sell.
Old November 28, 2022, 02:39 PM   #6
taylorce1

@ Shawdo9mm
I just don't know enough about Primary Arms, I do know they are rebranded optics that they source. I also see that they offer a lifetime warranty on the optics which helps. The other optics I listed are also in the price range and both USO scopes are FFP and still under $500.

I usually start with Leupold, Burris, or Vortex for mid priced optics and hit Bushnell or Sig if I'm going a little cheaper. It has worked out pretty well for me. This was going to be possibly my first purchase of U.S. Optics as I liked the price and reticle options.

@ stagpanther,
That might work on my BO, thanks for the suggestion.

@ MarkCO,
Thanks for the input on the RT-6.

@ USAF Ret,
Thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for a variable optic.
Old November 28, 2022, 04:03 PM   #7
stagpanther

popping an rt3 on an AR can shave about a pound +/- off the total weight right off the bat. Burris came out with it years before vortex and primary arms came out with their own versions of the RT3. Just try one and I'd be surprised if you didn't like it. I tried one and now have 4 of them riding on ARs.
Old November 28, 2022, 05:17 PM   #8
Shadow9mm

Only have 1 primary arms optic. A 4-14x44. Its a touch heavy but the glass is better than vortex and bushnell, and very close to leupold. Its also strong. I dropped my rifle off a farm truck. The scope hit the steel side and gouged the metal on the knob. Other than the ding the scope was not damaged and held zero. I really like the acss reticle and FFP. If i want usa made and lighter weight, leupold all day long. But i feel PA makes a great scope
Old November 28, 2022, 05:24 PM   #9
stagpanther

Quote:
But i feel PA makes a great scope
Somewhere in China there's a factory the size of Texas that makes 90% of the market's optics.
Old November 28, 2022, 06:54 PM   #10
mikejonestkd

Like Stag said- the burris RT3 prism is dandy.
I liked mine so much that I bought a second one, then got an RT5 to put on another AR.....
Old November 29, 2022, 10:03 AM   #11
taylorce1

I ordered the RT-3 & RT-6, I'm looking forward to testing them out.
Old November 29, 2022, 12:53 PM   #12
litework

I think you made a good choice with that Burris RT-6. I received mine a few days ago and mounted it on a Ruger SFAR. It looks good but I'll sight it in this weekend - along with a couple of others low power optics.
Old November 29, 2022, 05:26 PM   #13
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
I ordered the RT-3 & RT-6, I'm looking forward to testing them out.
I think you will be really happy. I'm hoping for an RT8 or an RT10 to be released at SHOT.
Old November 29, 2022, 07:27 PM   #14
Shadow9mm

Make sure to keep us updated, curious to see how they work for you.
Old November 30, 2022, 09:01 AM   #15
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm
Make sure to keep us updated,
10-4, I hope to have the optics here by early next week.
Old December 1, 2022, 08:25 AM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
I hope to have the optics here by early next week.
Well I'm wrong again, I'm supposed to have the optics delivered today! If the weather is nice I can try the RT-3 this weekend. The mount for the RT-6 is still a few days out.
Old December 1, 2022, 08:41 AM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
Well I'm wrong again, I'm supposed to have the optics delivered today! If the weather is nice I can try the RT-3 this weekend. The mount for the RT-6 is still a few days out.
With a level out on the end of the handguard you'll be surprised how accurate you can shoot with it at distances beyond 300 yds.
Old December 1, 2022, 08:47 AM   #18
taylorce1

@ stagpanther,

I'll be happy with 150 yards with a 7.5" AR pistol it's going on, with supersonic bullets.
Old December 1, 2022, 12:15 PM   #19
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
@ stagpanther,

I'll be happy with 150 yards with a 7.5" AR pistol it's going on, with supersonic bullets.
Granted I have a 10.5" on my pistol AR. But with 77s and a Red dot, I can hold a 10" plate out to 400 yards. They really are pretty decent all things considered.

I have a RT1 in waiting after I see what the ATF brings down on us with the "pistol brace fiasco". Removes a few points going from a "scope" to a Red dot with long eye releif.
Old December 1, 2022, 03:04 PM   #20
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO
Granted I have a 10.5" on my pistol AR. But with 77s and a Red dot, I can hold a 10" plate out to 400 yards. They really are pretty decent all things considered.
It's a little easier to get to 400 yards shooting a .223, than it is for me shooting a .300 BLK! If the ATF rules like I expect, I'll do the stamp and make a true SBR. Then I'll put a nice stock on it, instead of the Shockwave Blade brace I have.

I can ring a 10" plate pretty decent with the current 2 MOA red dot at 100 with both supers and subs. It gets pretty iffy at 200 with the supers, and the subs I have to lob in like a gernade launcher.
Old December 1, 2022, 04:49 PM   #21
Adventurer 2

My AR started with iron sights, then a 1-4 scope, then an Eotech red dot, then a 4x Acog with chevron, now it has a 1-8 lighted LPVO - i think it is best for my needs - up close 1 power lighted is close to a red dot in performance. 300 yards 8 X groups better than the Acog at 100 yards.
Old December 2, 2022, 01:47 AM   #22
stagpanther

Quote:
@ stagpanther,

With the right cartridge should not be a problem. I have a 10.5" 300BO pistol also--without any kind of attachment on the buffer tube to avoid any chance of arguments or arrest--I can usually get around MOA at 100 yds using one of my good handloads featuring Barnes TAC-TX bullets and a Bushnell R 25 unmagnified red dot (which in my book is a pretty crappy optic). The RT 3 I'm sure would easily give precision well past what I would consider reasonable hunting distance for the 300 BO.
Old December 2, 2022, 01:17 PM   #23
taylorce1

@ MarkCO,

Honestly blown away by the RT-6 right now, and I haven't mounted it yet. Reticle is about perfect, the only complaint I have so far is the illumination is overwhelmed with justba little bit of sunlight. Edge to edge clarity is really good, and the eye box seems very generous through all the power range.

@ stagpanther,

I'm going give the RT-3 a shot, but I think I might get another RT-6 to replace it. The reticle is just a little small for my tastes, and eye position seems more critical. The illumination is better than the RT-6 by a huge margin, and the optics are very good as well. I do believe it'll be much better than my old RD and magnifier set up.

If we weren't having 35-40 mph + winds today I'd head out and play with the RT-3.
Old December 2, 2022, 02:16 PM   #24
stagpanther

Quote:
I'm going give the RT-3 a shot, but I think I might get another RT-6 to replace it. The reticle is just a little small for my tastes, and eye position seems more critical. The illumination is better than the RT-6 by a huge margin, and the optics are very good as well. I do believe it'll be much better than my old RD and magnifier set up.
Even if it turns out you can't warm up to the RT 3--my bet is you'll have no problem finding someone to buy it. The reticle does seem small at first, but after a while I grew accustomed to quick acquire with the horseshoe and then refine "aim small" with the center dot. It does have a short eye relief but I've never had a problem with that on a conventional AR.
Old December 5, 2022, 04:19 PM   #25
Shadow9mm

took a better look at the TR-6 in comparison to the PA I am looking at. Main issue is its hold overs are in mils. I prefer to stick to MOA. I have tried mils, I regret it honestly.