The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 14, 2018, 09:44 AM   #1
jimsouth

Rare Firearms - James D. Julia Auctioneers

Rare Firearms - James D. Julia Auctioneers
https://jamesdjulia.com/division/gun/
Our Spring 2018 Extraordinary Firearms Auction takes place March 21-23 and is shaping up to be another outstanding event. This auction will feature the first session of The Spectacular Collections of Ray Bentley, featuring the finest and rarest deluxe antique Winchesters in the world!
Old March 14, 2018, 10:15 AM   #2
jimsouth

Nothing I can afford; but some beautiful workmanship. The Holland & Holland side X sides are the cats ass. I still have my grandfather's Ithaca pigeon gun. 32 inch barrels & both full choke . A distance shooter.
Old March 15, 2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Jeesh, just what I need... ANOTHER matched set of Holland & Holland double 28s...

I wouldn't mind having that Vickers, though.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 15, 2018, 03:10 PM   #4
Evan Thomas

Annie Oakley's lever gun... although I'd rather have one she was known to have used than some fancy presentation model.
Old March 16, 2018, 09:46 AM   #5
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
Jeesh, just what I need... ANOTHER matched set of Holland & Holland double 28s...

I wouldn't mind having that Vickers, though.
You and I know, if we had the money, we would buy every gun that catches our eye. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------WHAT A DOG REALLY IS! By George Leonard Herter

The Most Unselfish Living Creature Is Your Dog.
If you are in danger, your dog needs only to hear your cry for help, and he will come to your aid without fear of losing his own life.

The Most Patient Creature In The World Is Your Dog.
Whatever you give him, whatever you do for him, he is always sincerely grateful to you. To your dog you are the most wonderful person in the world. In his eyes and heart, you can do no wrong.

The Most Sincerely Friendly Creature In The World Is Your Dog.
Of all of God's animals, he alone works for man without a whip. He is always happy to be with his master, wherever he may be, whatever he may do. He is sadder than any living creature when his master is away, and is the only creature that can actually die in a short time from lonesomeness for his master.

The Most Forgiving Creature In The World Is Your Dog.
Among humans, true adherence to genuine forgiveness is found only with saints. Your dog carries no grudge and no spite. Punish him even when he does not deserve it and he comes to you and nudges his wet cold nose into your hand, looks up at you with honest, pleading eyes and wags his tail hesitantly as though to say, "I forgive you, you can kill me if you wanted to, and I still forgive you."

The Most Loyal Creature In The World Is Your Dog.
Whether you are dressed in rags, or the height of fashion; whether you are a beggar or a wealthy man; whether you are thought of as a hero or a coward, a wise man or a fool, your dog is waiting for you with a loving, friendly bark of happiness, a friendly wagging tail, and a heart that is full of nothing but true love for you. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Mike Irwin; March 18, 2018 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Inappropriate content deleted
Old March 16, 2018, 10:31 AM   #6
SPEMack618

That Vickers would look really good in my den.

Stupid wedding. Stupid taxes. Stupid mortage.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:44 AM   #7
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEMack618 View Post
That Vickers would look really good in my den.

Stupid wedding. Stupid taxes. Stupid mortage.
My cousin & I inherited some money from our old aunt. He now has an original full auto 1928 Thompson & an original full auto "Storm Rifle" Me, I have grandchildren. The paperwork on the firearms took about 2 months. The Storm Rifle shoots a bizarre caliber; but the ammunition is available. The guns were an investment, not really for regular shooting. StG 44 - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44 From a distance, the Storm Rifle looks like an AK 47. Story goes, the designer of the AK 47 lived in the same town where the designer of the Storm Rifle was sitting in prison. So, German. I knew the AK worked too well to be a Russian design.

Last edited by jimsouth; March 16, 2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old March 16, 2018, 10:59 AM   #8
jimsouth

Actually, insinuating Russian firearms were not well designed was a stretch, since: What type of sniper rifle did Vasily Zaytsev use and how much are ...
https://www.quora.com/What-type-of-s...-use-and-how-m...
Jan 27, 2015 - He used a Mosin-Nagant M1891/30 with a turned-down bolt and PE scope per the photos of him with the rifle. The shorter PU scope is much more common and this is the scope that was used on the rifle portrayed in “Enemy at the Gates”. Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle.
Old March 16, 2018, 11:00 AM   #9
jimsouth

My cousin also has a Mosin-Nagant. The native girl on Life Below Zero uses one for hunting. Kind of in the same league as the 03 Springfield.