Best thing since sliced bread - the Elcan Specter DR sight

Whoa!

http://elcan.phpinternet.com/specter_DR/

http://elcan.phpinternet.com/specter_DR/DFOVDemo.html
Old January 3, 2006, 04:04 PM   #2
araebisu
Registration in progress

http://cgi.ebay.com/Elcan-Thermal-Da...QQcmdZViewItem

too bad it isnt priced like bread. 5k with 7 days to go! its pretty much one of a kind so i guess the price is gonna be high for a while. i doubt that prices will be within normal buyer range for a long time, if ever
Old January 3, 2006, 07:38 PM   #3
FirstFreedom

It's $6,700 plus now. But that one is different; it's a thermal imaging device. This new gadget is *just* an optical sight - but one where you can switch back and forth between 1 power and 4 power. No more need for 2 defense configs - one with red dot and 1 with ACOG or what have you. No need for aimpoint multipliers etc. This sight does it all (except night vision).
Old January 3, 2006, 08:50 PM   #4
VUPDblue

with thermal imaging, who needs night vision ?!
Old January 4, 2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Actually, a lot of thermal imaging is very poor for specific target identification. You see heat, but not detail. A person's head may appear as all light (or dark depending on how the display is set) and be in specific contrast with a clothed body, but you may not be able to identify the person as being a particular individual or may not even as a either friend or foe. You know exactly where the person is, but detail is missing.

Low light scopes can provide a lot of that missing detail and you can see things like facial features, uniform construction, etc.

There was an episode on one of the shows like "Wildest Police Chases" where a night chase is being followed by a helicopter using an IR (FLIR) system. At one point, the spotter lost track of the suspect and police who were on foot and passing into a parking garage. One person emerged from the side and the spotter reported the position of the suspect exiting the building as being on the X (north, south, east, west) side. The spotter was correct in that the susupect did exit that side, but the person he saw was a trailing officer. Realizing the suspect was going for an exit on that side of the building, the officer hopped out over a wall in hopes of taking a shortcut. The suspect came out about 50 yards away, followed by another officer who was in close pursuit. The spotter misidentified the low detail glowing FLIR object as the suspect, but in reality, it was the officer. On emergence of the suspect, the appropriate correction was made and no harm done, but it sort of illustrated some of the problems of IR imaging.

Currently in the works (as of a few years ago) is a melding of technologies between IR, low light, and video enhancement to provide color detailed night vision. Either it is still too bulky or problematic as it hasn't seemed to have made it to the market yet.
Old January 12, 2006, 08:58 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

It's hard to believe (to me) there's not more talk about this sight. It's your Eotech and your ACOG all rolled into one. Comments?
Old January 14, 2006, 12:19 AM   #7
araebisu
Registration in progress

but its thermal and several thousand dollars, out of the average buyers price range
Old January 14, 2006, 10:51 AM   #8
FirstFreedom

No, it's not thermal. Look at the one I linked to, not the goose chase from the next poster.

It will probably be under $2K, and most likely worth every penny. 2 rifles for 2 roles, 1 acog, & 1 eotech = much more $$ than 1 rifle & 1 elcan DR. Saves money.
Old January 15, 2006, 04:02 PM   #9
OBIWAN

assuming it lives up to its hype...it will be great

Doesn't always work out that way
Old January 15, 2006, 05:47 PM   #10
pickpocket

Anybody notice the fact that it seems to have an integrated LRF?
That's pretty cool.
Also, thermal imaging on a reflex scope has some pretty limited applications, all things considered. Double Naught above highlighted one of the major handicaps to thermal imaging...you have to KNOW where you're going to find enemy...you can't tell the difference between red and blue...it's all white-hot to the scope.
But, in those situations where it would be useful...it would be VERY useful.
Another thing, remember thermal scopes can't see through a lot of stuff. Even the ones on our main battle tanks can only see through a certain thickness of material.

Quote:
It's your Eotech and your ACOG all rolled into one
I didn't see where the Spectre was holographic? I haven't seen ANYTHING as cool as the EOTech....it's POA/POI no matter what your eye relief is. Is this thing supposed to provide the same?

"Sabah al khair -- ismee Dave, ahnee al Shayṭān"