The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 9, 2020, 10:52 AM   #26
Auto5

Not my, EDC, but my 642 gets some carry time, especially in the outside coat pocket in winter.
Old February 9, 2020, 11:48 AM   #27
TBM900

Back in the day, yes.
Since then I've switched to the superior 38 LCR for my BUG or minimalist CCW.

Old February 9, 2020, 02:56 PM   #28
fastbolt

I have several J-frames which saw off-duty carry before I retired, and have continued to serve me as retirement weapons.

I tend to favor pocket holster carry for them, as it takes weight off my hips/glutes and waist, which developed some easily aggravated hot spots due to many years of wearing duty gear. The years during which I carried off-duty weapons using IWB holsters probably didn't help, either. Especially the larger guns, like K, L & N-frame revolvers, my well-used Combat Commander and other 1911's, an assortment of Security-Six variants and a Redhawk ... and then all my pistols, both issued and personally-owned. Duty gear and IWB carry can start to take a toll, no matter how great the design and quality of holsters used.

It was the J-frames that made off-duty carry, and then retirement carry, a lot easier. It helped that I could use them so often at our range while working as a firearms instructor, too. The first time I tried an Airweight was at the end of the 90's, and I ordered one of the 642-1's that were rated for +P. It made pocket holster carry a lot easier. I invested a couple cases of ammunition becoming accustomed to the snappier recoil of the Airweight, though.

Over the years more Airweights and lightweight DAO snubs were added to my collection, including a couple of M&P 340's, another 642-1 and a neat variation of the older M37, being from a special production run made for a canceled overseas order. It was a 37-2DAO, made on the earlier Airweight frame and pre-MIM. I kinda wish I'd bought a pair of them, but their limited numbers didn't help keep the prices down when they were released on the wholesale vendor market.

I still like my remaining steel framed J's, but it's the lighter weight models that see the bulk of my retirement carry. I can slip one of them, in a UM pocket holster, in the front pockets of most of my jeans, shorts and slacks, or occasionally a jacket pocket. I had ample practice drawing them from pocket holster carry in pants and jackets while serving as a firearms instructor on my former agency's range, too. Top it off with 1-2 speedstrips, or speedloaders, if I'm wearing a jacket.

Handy. Now, if I'm wearing jeans that have front pockets that are too short and tight to accommodate one of my J's? Well, that's the only reason I picked up a couple of LCP's.
Old February 9, 2020, 03:08 PM   #29
MarkCO

Two Taurus, an 85 UL, stainless, which is primarily for practice, and a 905.
Old February 9, 2020, 03:50 PM   #30
BradS

Good reads y'all, thanks.
I would really like the Kimber Micro 9 to fit the task, but think I am gravitating back to the J frame. I had a S&W 640 Pro Series (should have kept) , that I thought was an outstanding J frame.
Old February 9, 2020, 04:29 PM   #31
jar

My 1955 Chiefs Special:
Old February 9, 2020, 04:36 PM   #32
Ifishsum

Yes - for me the EDC is a Taurus 85UL; also in the regular rotation is a S&W P.C. 642 (enhanced). The SW would be my primary, as it's DA operation is significantly smoother than the Taurus - but that extended grip is more pronounced and noticeable (at least to me) on my beltline in the SmartCarry holster with my daily dress. I do own and carry a couple of bottom feeders at times but nothing else I have tried carries as comfortably and discreetly as an ultralight J-frame.
Old February 9, 2020, 06:30 PM   #33
loknload

There is a 36 in my carry round up, my very first carry was a 3” model 37.
Always liked them.
Old February 10, 2020, 07:43 AM   #34
wmg1299

I carried a 642 as a backup duty gun for a short while, but never relied on it for CCW. My favorite J-Frames for CCW are actually the 351C or 351PD, which I will occasionally throw in my jacket pocket during the colder months. I feel that many shooters are too quick to discount the .22 Magnum, and I like that the 351's have a 7-round capacity. They also have better sights than the 642. If you are willing to give .22 MAG a chance, it may be worth looking into one of the 351 models.
Old February 10, 2020, 08:07 AM   #35
MagnumWill

Yes, I more often than not carry a 637 (lock removed). I do want to eventually change to a Cobra, to gain an additional round and hopefully not have it eat into my thumb knuckle if the cylinder release is a much different shape. Other than that it's a great, it's my "T-shirt weather" gun when my 1911 or the Glock will be impractical.
Old February 10, 2020, 11:47 AM   #36
OhioGuy

If you still want to carry a Kimber, and really want to pay an insane amount of money for six rounds, the K6 revolver series is SWEET. I've never fired one but the triggers are amazing, fit an finish are impeccable, they look gorgeous, etc.

They can be had in a lot of configurations, including a longer 3" barrel if desired.
Old February 10, 2020, 12:34 PM   #37
muzzleblast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
... Anyone carry 1911's and have a J frame in your rotation ?
Yes.

Old February 10, 2020, 04:10 PM   #38
Cosmodragoon

I used to carry a 442. I switched to an LCR several years ago and I like it better. It's more comfortable to shoot and still rides well in a pocket holster.
Old February 10, 2020, 07:50 PM   #39
JERRYS.

my mode 342PD Ti has been in my pockets for a few weeks now when I'm not working.
Old February 10, 2020, 08:21 PM   #40
Mike Irwin
Staff

Smith & Wesson 042 Centennial hammerless.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old February 11, 2020, 10:00 AM   #41
Carl the Floor Walker

Old February 12, 2020, 11:00 PM   #42
BradS

Model 940 9mm

Not meaning to stray too far from topic, but what are y'alls thoughts on a Smith Mod 940 in 9mm ?
Old February 13, 2020, 02:57 PM   #43
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS View Post
Not meaning to stray too far from topic, but what are y'alls thoughts on a Smith Mod 940 in 9mm ?
I get the novelty of shooting 9mm from a revolver. You get the supposed reliability benefits of a revolver versus a semi that needs to reciprocate a slide. Your ammo costs go down a little and there is plenty of selection. You get something in between .38 special and .357 magnum as far as power, recoil, and expansion potential. However, you've still only got five shots and now you've got to use moon clips.

At the end of the day, I prefer my 9mm in semi-autos and either .38 special or .327 Federal in my revolvers.
Old February 14, 2020, 02:26 AM   #44
rock185

I've always kinda liked 9MM revolvers. Had several, and still have a 940, and SP101 in 9MM.
I've done some chronographing, and it's what cosmodragoon said as far as power,etc. The more energetic 9MM is closer to .357 than any 38+P I've chronographed to this point. But there are those moon clips so many shooters apparently detest. I suspect the vast majority of buyers would be happier with a revolver chambered in traditional .38 Spcl., .357 or other rimmed revolver cartridge.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Little 9mm Revolvers (5) (1) - Copy - Copy.JPG (102.0 KB, 34 views)
Old February 15, 2020, 07:00 PM   #45
YankeeIronSights

Who Carries a J Frame For a CCW ?

I used to own a model 60 and 649. Both were reliable and super easy to carry. I liked both very much. And then, one day, Kimber decided to build the K6s with a hammer. I traded my J-frame revolvers for the K6s. Needless to say, I love this revolver. It is sturdy, as a Ruger SP101, and is similar in size to a J-frame with six shots. I can carry it in the pocket, waist holster and even an ankle holster. It also has better sights. It is expensive but well worth every penny. It handles .38 and .357 ammo perfectly. I use .38 spl +P most of the time, when I carry it.

Regardless of the brand and model, every gun owner should have a J-frame revolver in his/her collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 16, 2020, 01:46 AM   #46
Jeff22

I have 4 J frame Smith & Wesson revolvers.

A Model 36 tapered barrel, a Model 36 heavy barrel, a Model 60 heavy barrel and a S&W 650 in .22 that I use as a practice gun.

Carried the M36 for years as an off duty and backup gun. Now the M60 has kind of replaced it -- I just qualified with the S&W 60 in January on a course that required shooting back to 25 yards.

I've always carried OWB and usually used speed strips carried in an ammo pouch as reloads. My current holster was made by Tex Shoemaker shortly before they went out of business.

These days my Glock 43 is also seeing a lot of use for off duty, and my G42 has become my back up gun on duty.
Old February 16, 2020, 09:36 AM   #47
azretired

I have carries a 642-1 for the last 10 years. Prior to that I carried a 642-2 (IL) and a M60. Most of the time all were carried with Pachmayr Compacs and some times with UM Boot grips when more concealment was needed. Grips take about 2 minutes to swap.

You 642 PC Enhanced with the oversized grips can also be switched to smaller boot grips!
Old February 16, 2020, 11:47 AM   #48
JimCunn

I carry a 637-2 converted to 9mm.
Old February 16, 2020, 11:51 AM   #49
JERRYS.

I could see a NY ReLoad holster for J frames being used quite easily in the summer as it would conceal easily OWB under a basic button down shirt.
Old February 16, 2020, 01:47 PM   #50
mrcharlie3531

My daily carry gun is a S&W M38. Once in awhile to change things up I will carry my chiefs special model 36. My holster of choice is a De santis nemesis N3 pocket holster. I live in Florida, mostly wear jean shorts all year long. It works perfect
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (150.4 KB, 67 views)