The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 4, 2020, 05:10 PM   #1
DangerousDane

New Ammunition Search Engine

Hey guys, I just wanted to share a new Ammunition Search Engine website I have just completed development on. I'm not here to be a shill and promote my website, but I feel it could be a valuable resource for anyone buying ammo online as it makes it very easy to compare ammunition prices amongst the top retailers online to ensure you find the best price. We also have email and on-site alerts setup allowing you to set very precise parameters for the ammo you are looking for and you will be notified instantly once said ammo is in stock at your preset price range.

The website is: www.ammobuy.com

We are still adding new retailers daily and are very open to suggestions. Please feel free to contact me and let me know if you experience any issues. I hope you guys enjoy!
Old February 4, 2020, 05:29 PM   #2
TXAZ

Always interested in alternatives, but you've got a way to go compared to ammoseek.com

I'd like to see a description, and shipping cost indicator, as for some rounds that can make a 20% difference in total cost.

Good luck!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 4, 2020, 05:45 PM   #3
DangerousDane

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I do appreciate it. I can easily implement some sort of shipping indicator, my only problem with it is that its truly hard to accurately represent variable and obscure shipping price structures that also change amongst retailers on a regular basis. I'm aware of what ammoseek does, but keeping track of that and actually being accurate could be a daunting task. But maybe something like ammoseek to at least give a general idea of the retailers known shipping costs would be a good idea. Ill add it to the list! Thanks again!
Old February 4, 2020, 06:56 PM   #4
Ricekila

https://beta.ammoseek.com/ammo/9mm-luger

Μολών Λaβέ
Old February 4, 2020, 06:58 PM   #5
Rhodester

A super site just as it is.
Old February 4, 2020, 06:59 PM   #6
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousDane View Post
Thanks for the constructive criticism. I do appreciate it. I can easily implement some sort of shipping indicator, my only problem with it is that its truly hard to accurately represent variable and obscure shipping price structures that also change amongst retailers on a regular basis. I'm aware of what ammoseek does, but keeping track of that and actually being accurate could be a daunting task. But maybe something like ammoseek to at least give a general idea of the retailers known shipping costs would be a good idea. Ill add it to the list! Thanks again!
You're welcome Dangerous.
I realize you can't give a hard answer for every viewer of the shipping as it's different on speed and distance, but a lot of ammo suppliers have a loss-leader / teaser ammo price, only to make it up on an exorbitant shipping cost. (Example if you use this search you can see that for BMG ammo (since it's heavy) ... Hey that Cheap BMG ammo isn't

The price in the cheapest Lake City 660gr .50 BMG is $2.13 per round, but with shipping it's $2.86 per round. Many other companies that sell the same ammo use the same shipping mode have free shipping included at a price under $2.60 per round.
The gas gauge, once you've used it a few time makes it pretty easy to assess what's a good deal and what's not.
That's all.

Good luck!

Old February 4, 2020, 08:35 PM   #7
DangerousDane

I totally understand the games the retailers play with shipping. I'm going to ponder this further and try to come up with a reasonable indicator for relaying this information. Preciate the advice!
Old February 5, 2020, 04:47 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

This looks excellent DangerousDane. I didn't have time to play with it yesterday, but I did this morning and I like it. A point in your favor: I like the fact that clicking a link opens a new window to look at the ammo. Otherwise, I'd just spend a ton of time with "right click, open in new window."

A point not in your favor: I noticed that the "Hide Steel" literally hides only the steel cased ammo. It doesn't hide aluminum cased. Any way to install a "Brass-Cased Only" button? Reloaders will want steel and aluminum cases hidden.
Old February 5, 2020, 06:04 PM   #9
DangerousDane

Ah, what I'll do is lump in aluminum with steel ammo so the "hide steel" button will hide all of it as I imagine anyone wanting to hide steel probably doesn't want aluminum either.. Ill code that up tonight and have it up and running before tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate suggestions like that.
Old February 5, 2020, 06:29 PM   #10
DangerousDane

They are very good and have been around forever....but can be easily surpassed

Remember, competition inspires innovation so you should welcome it. You are free to use whatever website you like best.
Old February 6, 2020, 04:25 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersburg View Post
....OP is just shilling.
The OP was open about AmmoBuy being his search engine, so he's not really a shill.
Old February 6, 2020, 04:29 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Ah, what I'll do is lump in aluminum with steel ammo so the "hide steel" button will hide all of it as I imagine anyone wanting to hide steel probably doesn't want aluminum either.. Ill code that up tonight and have it up and running before tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up, I really appreciate suggestions like that.
That sounds like a good plan and I agree. My thinking is that ammo buyers tend to fall into two camps: (1) I need brass casings that I can reload; and (2) I don't reload.

I'm guessing that you got the coding done? Because the Hide Steel button looks like it's hiding aluminum now.
Old February 6, 2020, 05:52 PM   #13
Slotback

OP: I think you have done a very nice job with your site.
Old February 6, 2020, 08:53 PM   #14
DangerousDane

Spats, I did get the coding done last night and went ahead and implemented the fix!
Old February 8, 2020, 09:26 PM   #15
TXAZ

Dangerous,
TAke another look at ammoseek.com, it appears they have updated it today.

Old February 9, 2020, 09:00 AM   #16
DangerousDane

I have seen their updates. I can add a shipping indicator in no time as it seems its extremely important to everyone. Ill be on it Its about time ammoseek updated their site....they were about 10 years behind on that but it looks better now for sure.
Old February 9, 2020, 11:53 AM   #17
TXAZ

Hey Dangerous,
one more idea you didn't ask for that came to mind after dealing with a PitA vendor on Amazon I should have better checked their ratings on.

There are a few excellent vendors in the world whose customer service is legendary and a few that have a chronic reputation of major hassles for everything except taking your money.

Is there any way to provide a reputation from your customers who use your links to buy ammo then report back?

Old February 9, 2020, 03:26 PM   #18
DangerousDane

TXAZ,

As far as reputation goes, we do allow users to review each retailer and score them based on 3 criteria; service, pricing and shipping. This will allow recent users to help future users know about each retailer and give a general idea of their qualities. once I get enough reviews for each retailer, I could end up using the users shipping ratings as part of the shipping price indicator on the corresponding listings... hmmm..
Old February 13, 2020, 09:25 PM   #19
DangerousDane

Just wanted to update you guys. As requested, I have added a shipping indicator for each retailer on each listing. This is a very general indicator based on known shipping prices and can very based on many other factors but mimics that of what AmmoSeek provides. I will be adding shipping filters into the search functions this weekend hopefully as that will help you filter out any known high shipping retailers from the search results. Please let me know any other ideas you guys may have. I can pretty much code anything!
Old February 13, 2020, 10:15 PM   #20
TXAZ

Quote:
I can pretty much code anything!
50% off ammo coupons with free shipping would be great! .

But it’s clearly looking better Dangerous!

Old February 13, 2020, 10:30 PM   #21
DangerousDane

Haha, I would love to come across those coupons!
Old September 2, 2020, 06:02 AM   #22
TroyCMinder

Here is also another new directory in the industry: https://www.bulkcheapammo.com/
Old September 2, 2020, 07:32 AM   #23
7.62 man

I always use this ammo search engine.

https://gun-deals.com/ammo

Tags
223 ammo , 22lr ammo , 9mm ammo , ammunition search engine