The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 22, 2002, 12:08 AM   #1
Ironbarr

Is there a select-fire DA/SA??

Is there, or has there been, a select-fire DA/SA... that is,
posit 1. all DA,
posit 2. all SA?

FWTV - For Whatever The Value
...When seconds count, most help is just minutes away.
Old January 22, 2002, 01:15 AM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Probably the closest...

...would be the Browning BDM (Browning Dual-Mode), with its' Pistol/Revolver switch.
Old January 22, 2002, 10:14 AM   #3
Meowhead

Doh, I thought you meant, actual machine pistol.

The only one I can think of is a CZ75 - some full-auto variants have been made. Glock18 doesn't really qualify, Beretta 93R is single-action only..
Old January 22, 2002, 10:24 AM   #4
C.R.Sam

Most revolvers are selectable, lever back = SA, lever forward = DA.
Same with a lot of autoloaders.

Sam
Old January 22, 2002, 10:27 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

"Most revolvers are selectable, lever back = SA, lever forward = DA. Same with a lot of autoloaders."

Yeah, but it only works for the first shot.

Thereafter, revolvers which can do DA, remain DA, and semi-autos, which aren't DAO, remain SA...

(That said, I don't understand the question, either.) <grin>
Old January 22, 2002, 11:05 AM   #6
Marko Kloos

Like Tamara said, the closest thing is the Browning BDM. It has a selector switch on the side of the slide which needs to be turned with a screwdriver or a cartridge rim. It has two positions--one will make the pistol function like a regular DA/SA autoloader, and the other turns the pistol into a DAO with a revolver-like action.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old January 22, 2002, 12:13 PM   #7
Ironbarr

You know how it is when...

your head is asking a question you can't answer - not necessarily a "legitimate" question?

The DA part of DA/SA seems to be a bit tedious to learn, and short of short-loaded mags or some clever way of manipulating the machinery, the head part of me wanted to know if there is/was a handgun that allowed selection of the mode you wanted... so it (the head) could practice DA without all the tricks involved... you know - continuous fire.

I guess the head wants it to flow... every time it stops to decock or whatever, it requires another realignment. Head's lazy, I guess.

Old January 22, 2002, 01:08 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Didn't the Koreans (Daewoo?) make a pistol with a multi-position switch to convert from DA/SA to DAO to SAO? I though the idea was neat, but for fun, not for serious use.

Jim
Old January 22, 2002, 01:36 PM   #9
yorec

Walt - some semi autos have an extra little lever on the slide or action which resets the SA trigger to DA mode, I think its called a "decocker" or some such. But Sam's example of revolvers being selectable are pretty much standard unless you find a model dedicated to only one mode - that lever on the back is the selector, forward = DA and back = SA!

And on a serious note: I can't belive no one mentioned the P99 yet --
Old January 22, 2002, 10:26 PM   #10
Russell92

the only thing that comes to mind is the HK USP. there are 10 different variants it comes in which include DA/SA, DAO and cocked and locked (still can be fired DA but every round could be fired SA as well). i don't know how easy it is to switch to different variants but i don't think it's all that easy.
Old January 22, 2002, 10:36 PM   #11
blades67

My SIG Sauers are selectable. If I want to shoot DA for each shot, I just use the "Bobbit" lever after each pull of the trigger.

I believe Tamara is correct about the BDM being the only one around at this time.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old January 23, 2002, 02:02 PM   #12
Kevinch

Another close option is the TAURUS line of semi-autos.

These guns have the ability to be carried either DA or SA for the initial trigger pull. After the first round, they are in SA mode.
...arms...discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. ...Horrid mischief would ensue were (the law abiding) deprived the use of them. --Thomas Paine
Old January 23, 2002, 02:07 PM   #13
Shake

Tamara is correct.

Shake

-George Patton
Old January 23, 2002, 03:08 PM   #14
Ironbarr

Kevinch... and others.

The Makarov I recently aquired is DA/SA. The safety rotates a block under the hammer when put on "safe". Of course the hammer comes down on the blocker (disconcerting when you weren't expecting that).

One of the Makarov eccentricities is the somewhat heavy trigger on DA; it takes getting used to, as in most DA/SAs I'd presume. But by working the DA function often enough, it usually smoothes out. There may be more than this one way to do this DA-only repeatedly enough to smooth out the trigger: but I'd have to decock on every round - which means going to "safe" every round. Since the safety is detented with a spring action, it is stiff and hard on the thumb, and generally requires coming off target enough to have to "reset" the eye/brain/hand/finger fire control solution. It's not like a revolver... you might call this "single shot". But, of course, it would be a practice mode only, in order to get used to the first round DA. The Makarov (mine at least) has a very light SA trigger action - so there's a rather decent change in anticipation and action. Takes a bit of getting used to.

My question (above) grew out of the Makarov's DA/SA characteristics ... just wondering.

For those with any interest in the Makarov: http://www.makarov.com is a veritable wealth of info.

Old January 24, 2002, 04:23 PM   #15
Walt Sherrill

The DaeWoo someone mentioned is an interesting gun:

It has a hinged hammer.

You can start hammer down, as with a conventional DA/SA gun.

You can start cocked and locked (hammer back).

Or you can cock the hammer and push it forward for a semi-cocked mode that has hammer down but a very light, SA-like trigger. There is a bunch of take up as you pull the trigger (and as the hammer flips back to its cocked mode, but the takeup is very light and easily staged. Tri-action, I think its called.

And you can put the safety ON in any of these three modes.

May be one of the best bargain guns available. (When you can find them, you can get them new for UNDER $300. And they will use S&W 59 series hi-caps.)

I picked one up recently in a trade and have been VERY surprised with its accuracy and pleasant trigger. Very accurate gun -- at least the one I have is...

(In your hand it feels like a SIG, and it fits an old Fobus holster I picked up for a P-228.)