The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 4, 2000, 11:39 PM   #1
schlickenmeyer

Is this usually fixable? I imagine the dies are designed to take this out, but has anyone had case failure from resizing this type of case?
Old November 5, 2000, 01:04 AM   #2
MADISON

Most/Some 1911's have a tendency to dent the ejected case, as it comes out.

To reload the case I run the case through the flaring die first. That usually rounds things out. Ofcourse you go back and size; flare etc.
Old November 7, 2000, 12:18 AM   #3
alan

I suppose that dented case mouths might shorten case life in reloading, but then maybe not. In any event, the flaring die takes care of dents at the case mouth.
Old November 7, 2000, 10:45 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

My Springfield MilSpec 1911A1 does this. It doesn't have the lowered/flared ejection port.

It will put some sort of dent in about 50% of the cases. Of those, maybe 10% will have severe dents, but these normally iron out in reloading.

Of that 50%, though, around 1% of the cases are totally unrecoverable, because the brass is actually torn.

------------------
Smith & Wesson is dead to me.

If you want a Smith & Wesson, buy USED!
Old November 7, 2000, 12:53 PM   #5
Marshal

I get small dents from my Sig 220 for the same reason. No problems with reloading.
Old November 7, 2000, 04:06 PM   #6
Paul B.

If the dented neck is not too bad, just run it through the resizing die, and then the neck expander die. If it is a moderate dent, run it through the expander, then resize and expand as usual. If it's real bad, use something like a drift punch to parially open the case so the expander will enter without crushing the case, expand, resize and continue as normal.
I have some WW-2 issue brass that has gone through these procedures maybe 20 or 30 times and they are still going strong.
Where you my have a problem is if the brass gets a crease. Then it may fail a bit earlier.
Paul B.
Old November 7, 2000, 08:42 PM   #7
Gopher .45

I watch pistolsmith Alex Hamilton take care of this with a friend's 1911. The cases would eject with a slight crimp. Alex says for most, lowering and flaring fix the symptoms more so than the problems. A slight adjustment to the ejector, by filing an angle on it, fixed the problem.