The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2013, 09:34 PM   #1
black mamba

Temp insensitive powders?

What are the most temperature in-sensitive powders?

Maybe one or two medium and slow burners. Thanks.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Poindexter

In shouldered/ necked rifle brass I love Varget (20" .223, 22" .338 Federal). I have tested Varget in both calibers down to -30dF and still have angle of critter at 200meters without moving my scope from zero at +70dF.

This winter I have tested three pistol powders in .45Colt down to -42dF. Each of Universal Clays, HS-6 and TiteGroup did great, though lubing cast bullets below 0dF gets into some pretty runny stuff.

I think Universal Clays was starting to run out of snot at -40dF, but I only hunt down to -30dF (for very hort periods) anyway, so the -40dF datapoint was just a confirmation of the data I already had.

All four did fine with regular primers. I did fool a little bit with SRM primers in .223 with Varget, but it wasn't necessary. All did fine with leaving the reloaded ammunition in my truck bed for a few days before testing, running warm from the house ammunition in a cold firearm (I have a locking tool box in my truckbed), and all four did fine with both the firearm and ammunition cold soaked outdoors.

FWIW the only pistol powder I know of with temperature issues is H-110. I didn't believe all the reading on the internet until it happened to me too.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:57 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Hodgdon's whole line of Extreme powders are temperature compensated. Their Extreme Tour has examples. Pick one appropriate to your chambering, though, and be aware any such compensating scheme works best in a particular chamber under particular conditions. Varget, for example, is known to perform good temperature compensation in .308, but not to show so well in .223.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 26, 2013, 02:20 PM   #4
black mamba

Thanks, fellas. I do like HS6 and Varget, need to get some H4895 as well.
Old February 26, 2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Sevens

This may be basic and obvious, but it seems relevant.

While Hodgdon does market their "extreme" line that is intended to address this issue directly, it's been a long known fact that most all loads will, if anything, run higher pressure in warm situations.

Or to put that another way... if you develop a load to run the very ragged edge of sanity and you do all your work in cool weather -- that load may go well over the red line and do NASTY things if you bring out on a 95 degree day.

On the flipside, if you develop a load that runs the ragged edge of sanity and you do all your development and testing on a 95 degree day, then you (theoretically, of course! ) should be safe to shoot that load (in that gun) all year long as long as your temperatures tend to be a little less extreme.

Of course, take that load to the desert and you could be asking for trouble.