The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 23, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
misterE

Shepherd p3 scope

Not sure if I'm starting this thread in the right place, but I'm looking at buying a rifle that has a Shepherd p3 mounted on it and was wondering if any of y'all could give me some feedback on that scope. Looks like they retail for about $800.
I was wanting to know if you have experience with them, do you like them?
And if it turns out I don't like it, what would be a reasonable resale value?

Thanks, daniel
Old September 23, 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
TimW77

Shepherd p3 scope

"And if it turns out I don't like it..."

There is no faster system for ranging and compensating for bullet drop. The Shepherd scopes allow you to range AND compensate for bullet drop AT THE SAME TIME!!! NO cards, NO charts, NO computer, NO "cheat sheets" taped to your stock.

Give the scope a try, once you are used to them there is NO faster scope for BOTH ranging and bullet compensating.

Their system is SO GOOD, I'd bet once Shepherds patents for their scopes expire their ideas are copied by the other manufacturers.

"...if you have experience with them, do you like them?"

Don't believe the internet BS that the Shepherd reticle is "too busy".

Don't listen to the clown who knows all about them but his experience is limited to "picking one up and looking through it".

There is a lot of information inside the scope.

With REAL EXPERIENCE and a little USE you will find the human eye will discard what it does not need and only see what it needs.

I have BOTH a 3-10X with the 18" circles on my Savage .260R and a 6-18X with the 9" circles on a RRA Varmint A4 with 24" bull barrel in .223W.

These a GREAT, high quality scopes with excellent optics.

They work exactly as advertised.

The first time I tried the 1 shot zero it did not work. That was MY fault. The second time I tried the 1 shot zero it worked perfectly.

"Looks like they retail for about $800.", what would be a reasonable resale value?"

Yes, current price for the 3-10X Shepherds is $799. Keep an eye on ebay for prices of used scopes.

T.
Old September 23, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Mobuck

I used a Shepherd scope for coyote hunting through 2 winters(until the rifle on which it was mounted disintegrated). The system takes some getting used to and practice. YES it does have a lot of stuff in the sight picture. YES, I will truthfully call it "busy". It worked pretty well for me and allowed me to make some first shot hits at very long range(500 meters+). At my stage of life, I wouldn't spend the money to have another but the one I had built me a reputation that still stands.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:13 AM   #4
misterE

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
Old September 24, 2012, 12:27 AM   #5
Txhillbilly

Year's ago,I saw Shepherd's ad in Shotgun News,and really wanted to try one out.When I finally found one and looked thru it,I wondered how they were selling any of them with the cheap glass that they put in them.
I have plenty of scopes in the $750-2000 range,and the Shepherd doesn't come close to most $300 scopes on glass quality.
Just my opinion!
Old September 24, 2012, 02:00 PM   #6
TimW77

Shepherd Scopes

"When I finally found one and looked thru it..."

There will always be one...

T.