500 linebaugh

1 shot/ 1 kill
Old September 13, 2017, 12:13 PM   #52
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post

500 linebaugh

1 shot/ 1 kill
Read the OPs first post. He needs it for possible social encounters.

A single shot, even a potent one, is all but useless for social encounters.
Old September 13, 2017, 02:17 PM   #53
Reloadron

Model12Win:
Quote:
I really like that, social encounters.

Ron
Old September 13, 2017, 11:13 PM   #54
tdoyka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post

A single shot, even a potent one, is all but useless for social encounters.
yeah, so?
Old September 14, 2017, 01:13 PM   #55
the possum

Does the "other" choice include "all the above"? Really, get whatever ya want, like, feels good to you, and what you'll actually practice with.

That said, I think one of the earlier replies nailed it with an AR-10 of some flavor in .308. Here's my reasoning:
You already have a shotgun, and with slugs, it should be able to stretch out to 100 yards or thereabouts alright. With buckshot, it should handle things up close & fast. So if you're gonna buy a rifle, I wouldn't bother with something that barely stretched your effective range. Get something in a real rifle round, that can accurately deliver smackdown way out there. A semi auto will greatly increase your chances of taking another piggy or two before they all run off, or deliver a quick follow up. And I think its advantages would be obvious in any kind of defensive role, especially when ya consider any aggressors would likely be armed with semi autos of their own.

Why the AR-10?
Honestly I'm not a big AR fan, even though I've got a couple. But the price range you mentioned rules out a lot of other patterns like the M1A, while AR prices are at rock bottom right now. The PTR-91 is another solid choice, but I think the AR would give you more flexibility on mounting optics or night vision later, and they usually cost a little more. The FNAR is worth a look, and would probably be more familiar to you if ya come from a hunting background since it's based on the Browning BAR hunting rifles, but you might have to shop around to stay within the budget, especially if ya want a whole pile of mags. For a long time they came with a MOA guarantee from the factory, so it should be a shooter. The FAL is known for rugged reliability, but not known for accuracy.
Old October 12, 2017, 09:36 PM   #56
WV_gunner

Rossi Circuit Judge in .45/.410

The factory sights are great, it's compact, easy to shoot, reliable, low recoil, low noise, it's light, easily capable past 100 yards, and you have the ability to run different ammo in it. Holds 5 shots, you can modify the stock and use a speed loader.
Old October 12, 2017, 09:40 PM   #57
WV_gunner

Single shots can be reloaded and fired quickly. You have to prepare for it but it's doable. If you fear having to fight a whole gang off, probably not the weapon of choice. But neither is half of the guns mentioned.
Old October 13, 2017, 01:09 AM   #58
Danoobie

Of the rifles mentioned I'd take the Marlin 336. Nothing beats the feel of
a lever gun in your hands.
Old October 14, 2017, 06:55 PM   #59
truenorthern

No for the 1894 in .44 mag

No for the 1894 in .44 mag. These rifles should have never been built for one reason. The `94 was designed for a bottle necked rifle cartridge.
If you have a .44 mag and cycle the lever slowly you can induce a jam that almost calls for dis assembly of the rifle. The cartridge can (and does ) slide under the lifter and lock things up tighter than be imagined.
The marlin rifles as well as a host of others are good to go in .44. Awesome rifles. Just be ware of the `94. `92's, you are good to go...
Old October 15, 2017, 05:30 AM   #60
Picher

Not much you can't fix with 600 bucks and a 30-06. Actually, a short-barreled Remington pump with extra magazines is relatively foolproof, powerful, handy, and pretty safe. It's easy to load, fire and works great in both woods and home. I'd think about getting a red-dot mounted on it, or maybe a receiver sight, but it will do fine, especially if you have a pump shotgun.

Pumps are much easier to care for than semi-autos. I know several people who wouldn't part with theirs and they last about forever. Just practice on pulling back on the forend when you fire and they almost work themselves.

Pumps are often more accurate and trouble-free than semi-autos.
Old October 15, 2017, 10:03 AM   #61
Chainsaw.

Because you've already made a decision and therefore need more opinions Im going to say redheads.....oh...wait. Ive for a long time wanted to go on a hog hunt with a lever action 44 mag, buy, now that I have a blonde paratrooper sks thats alot of fun to shoot it would be a tough decision!
Old October 31, 2017, 11:54 AM   #62
jackstrawIII

Here's another vote for the Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. Just make sure you find an older one. I've had two of the new ones, neither was satisfactory.
Old November 2, 2017, 07:03 PM   #63
Model12Win

One knock against the 336 is that .30-30 ammo isn't very cheap. This makes training costly for it unless you reload, which many do not.
Old November 2, 2017, 07:24 PM   #64
Targa

I have to jump on the lever action .44mag band wagon. My Rossi has brought me much joy.
Old November 2, 2017, 11:22 PM   #65
roscoe

Rossi .44 or .357 with 16" barrel. The .357 out of a rifle is not to be underestimated, especially with Buffalo Bore / DoubleTap / Underwood ammo.
Old November 5, 2017, 06:17 PM   #66
agtman

Quote:
I've been wanting to get into boar hunting for a while and I think I'm going to buy a rifle next week with this in mind. But I'd also like something to use as a brush deer rifle and even for defense in a SHTF type of situation * * *
Here are my criteria:
1. Must have iron sights
2. Must have decent capacity
3. Must be under $700 * * *
Have to vote "Other."

M1 Garand.

I just scored a 2.19 mil S.A. with a waaay shot-out barrel for $400 from a local guy selling off all his "Old School" mil-surps. (Argued this dudenal down from $600 after showing him the ME & TE readings with my trusty M1 Throat/Muzzle gauge. Dude sez: "Well, I wondered why I could never hit the target with this piece of crap." LOL ).

All other parts were in-spec, except for a well-worn op rod spring. I've already got a healthy stash of Orion 7 M1 springs stock-piled, so swapping in a fresh one is a done deal. Stock and hand guards were passable.

New Criterion .308 M1 tube will be $200, ... plus another $50 for my M1-knowledgable 'smith to install it and check the specs on everything else (gas port, chamber dimensions, etc). Went with the .308 chambering due to the somewhat cheaper and more available 7.62 surplus ammo, plus I reload for .308 extensively.

Total = $650. Done.

8-rd clips for home defense/SHTF, or 5-rd "hunting" clips for deer, hog, moose, the occasional coyote, whatever.

Iron sights? You bet. The M1 sports the best irons ever fielded on any battle rifle anywhere in the world.

Best to avoid the Commie junk, or some cheap American Sunday afternoon "fun gun" that'll get the hiccups and jam-skis once the action and barrel get hot, like after firing 15 or so consecutive shots. Get something with a vetted history of reliability and accuracy under the harshest battlefield conditions.

You can thank me later.

Last edited by agtman; November 5, 2017 at 06:30 PM.