The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 18, 2011, 07:13 AM   #1
xraygunlover

Choices choices. Beretta M9/CZ 75

Thinking about getting another 9mm. The 2 I'm considering are the Beretta M9, or the CZ 75 or one of the variations of the two...M9, 92, 75, 75BD. I'd just like to hear what everyone else prefers and why. Are there any advantages to one of these over the other? It's going to be used for plinking and home defense. I'd really like to hear about everyone's experience with accuracy and reliability with these guns.
Old April 18, 2011, 07:36 AM   #2
hardworker

Never used the cz, but my 92fs has been a great pistol.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:16 AM   #3
Amin Parker

I do love both pistols but between the two my vote would be the cz 75.

The cz is unbelievably reliable, accurate and durable and i promise you will never regret owning one.

I know of one that did about 38k rounds in a period of two years. That gun is still running.

My highest recommendation.

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Billy Shears

Beretta!
Old April 18, 2011, 08:34 AM   #5
pilpens

Both are good pistols.
I have shot my best group (benched) with a Beretta 92. Smooth and soft recoil. My thumb hits the slide catch lever preventing the slide to stay open on the last shot.
I had a CZ 75B SA several years ago. It was reliable but I did not like CZ's camming hammer (Look for omega trigger. It is suppose to be better than the old style trigger system). I recently shot an SA/DA without the omega trigger which did not seem as bad as the SA version. Did not notice the camming. I do not know if creep can be completely removed from the trigger -- I think there has to be some creep to allow for the firing pin safety (It has been a while, so take this with a big grain of salt).

From the two, I would pick the CZ 75 BD primarily because it fits my hand better. Decocker, If I had to carry this, I would like the DA first shot and safer way to decock than thumbing the hammer.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:44 AM   #6
overkill0084

I own a CZ. I've shot the Beretta. There is really no wrong answer if one wants to be fair about it.
They are both proven designs. Both are accurate & reliable.
I like the CZ. It's a bit more off the beaten path than the Beretta, which I like. I prefer the fully enclosed slide, for appearance's sake. None of this is really a slap at the Beretta, just personal preference. The CZ is a bit less expensive.

Which one do you like best?
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old April 18, 2011, 08:54 AM   #7
MLeake

Had one of each, and both are great. I don't like slide mounted safeties, so for me it would be the CZ, but you should go with what you like.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:57 AM   #8
pgdion

The CZ75 is an awesome pistol but IMO, the Beretta edges it out easily. Great feel, great accuracy, 100% reliability, 17rd capacity (and comes with 2 magazines), and a safety-decocker that is in my opinion done right. The decocker with the DA/SA setup on the 92FS/M9 make it and the Cougar (same setup) the only gun I like to carry chambered (decocked, safety off). The Beretta also has better fit and finish IMO (especially the finish). With the Beretta you also have the option of an accessory rail (A1). What I do like about the CZ is steel frame, and a grip that is slightly thinner/smaller than the 92's. The Beretta feels good in the hand, the CZ feels really good in the hand.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:16 AM   #9
Pilot

Many years ago, I faced this dilemma. I shot a freinds 92FS and liked it, but then I bought a CZ-75B when the had the 1996 Turkish Military overrun pistols for around $300 with a hicap (during the ban) and neutered a mag. All, I could say was WOW. Since then my 9MM fascination has largely been satisfied with the CZ lineup, as well as the BHP and HK P7.

The PCR is a super carry and range gun, and with the addtion of the Kadet Kit, either gun becomes a cheap plinker/practice pistol.
Old April 18, 2011, 10:50 AM   #10
aarondhgraham

I had the same decision to make,,,

Actually it came down to 4 different Wonder-Nines,,,
But the CZ-75B and the Beretta were the two top contenders.

Basically it came down to the fact that the CZ just felt a bit better in my hand.

Performance wise I don't think you can find a whit of difference,,,
They are both incredibly reliable Hi-Cap 9mm pistols.

Handle them both and see which one makes you smile when you hold it.

I chose the CZ-75B over the Beretta simply because it fit my hand better,,,
I also bought the CZ-75B Kadet pistol in .22LR,,,
I could not be any happier.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 18, 2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Leejack

Both great, but one is sexy.

Beretta
Old April 18, 2011, 11:21 AM   #12
Boats

I have both.

If I want a full sized 9mm that I can carry cocked and locked, then the answer is the CZ, hands down because the most common and affordable 92 series style pistol that C&Ls is actually a Taurus.

If I want a full size duty 9mm that decocks to DA/SA then the Beretta is the easy winner because the decocker on the CZ is simply not as trustworthy design-wise as the ones on the Berettas.
Old April 18, 2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Falcon642

It may be a small gripe, but I don't like the narrow slide of the CZ, it makes it harder to rack the slide especially if your fingers are just a little wet. The wider slide of the Beretta is just easier to rack.

A minor gripe, but for me a legitimate one.
Old April 18, 2011, 11:46 AM   #14
IanS

Accuracy: CZ75's seems to be a bit more accurate in my hands than 92FS/M9's. YMMV.

Trigger: Stock Beretta trigger feels better/cleaner but I still shoot CZ's a tad better. Even though I have more experience with Beretta's.

Manual of Arms: The frame over slide design of the CZ75 does mean there's less slide to grasp. The slide over frame design of the 92FS makes it thicker but the 92FS is still fatter than most slide over frame designs. The slide mounted safety on the 92FS also makes accidental decocking/placing on safe easier when doing tap rack bang drills. Also since I do hand over slide method when reloading from slide lock that's another chance I can trip that safety/decocker. I found the safety on the CZ75 more difficult to reliably manipulate with my avg. sized hands. I do have to shift my grip slightly. Even though the safety decocker is mounted on the slide on the 92FS I can easily decock/manipulate safety with my thumb without shifting my grip.

Reliability: I've put maybe 7,000 rounds through a couple 92FS's in my life. No malfunctions of any kind. I've only put a few hundred through CZ75's (@ 700). No problems. Doesn't prove anything but since I have more trigger time with 92FS's I tend to "trust" them more.

Last edited by IanS; April 18, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old April 18, 2011, 12:14 PM   #15
38superhero

CZ...
Old April 18, 2011, 03:58 PM   #16
10mm4ever

I have alot of respect for the CZ75 but as mentioned, the Beretta simply edges it out on more than one level. There's simply never been a more "out of the box reliable" pistol ever designed. To my way of thinking, it offers the best in ergos, balance, reliability, accuracy and aesthetics. I think all things considered, it's the best 9mm service pistol ever designed and has become a true "icon" in every sense of the word.
Old April 18, 2011, 05:52 PM   #17
lechiffre

i like the cz more than i like the beretta.

i trust the beretta more than i trust the cz.

do the interns get glocks ?
Old April 18, 2011, 05:59 PM   #18
Smaug

Both great guns!

Having shot both, I'd lean towards the Beretta for those with larger hands or for those without as much hand strength.

The CZ seems more comfortable to my medium-small hands, but the interior-running slide offers less grip area for racking the slide, so you'd better have a strong grip.

This is not to say that the Beretta is not comfortable to medium or small hands; it is comfortable to me too. Just not as comfortable as the CZ.

Another one to consider, if you're looking at these two, is the Hi-Power.

New Brownings are expensive, but others have made them too. Ours is a Charles Daly, and it is an OUTSTANDING shooter. I don't really like the XS sights though, except for faster action shooting. It ran $350 new at Cabela's a couple years ago. Consistent single action trigger pull. Many believe this was Browning's true handgun masterpiece. Just as comfortable as the CZ75, too.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old April 18, 2011, 06:06 PM   #19
Smaug

Oh, and if you're looking at Beretta...

...you should also look at the Taurus PT-92. I owned one for a while, and it was great. It is the same as the previous generation Beretta 92, with the frame-mounted safety. (which most folks seem to like better)

I wish I'd kept mine, but I got more than I paid for it, and could not resist a .44 Magnum revolver.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old April 18, 2011, 07:25 PM   #20
schmeky

One poster mentioned the hammer camming in SA is a problem with the CZ. For many this is true. However, there are drop-in hammer kits available for CZ's now that put a SA CZ trigger only a notch or 2 below a 1911.

You can buy a CZ and a hammer kit, and still spend less than the typical Beretta. The CZ would then have a far superior trigger compared to the Beretta.

Here's a review of one:
http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=39517.0
Old April 18, 2011, 07:53 PM   #21
chris in va

I tried both before buying, the Beretta just feels like a brick compared to the CZ. It's too large for the caliber it shoots.

My 75BD's trigger took some time to smooth out though. I'd recommend you get a used one if you decide on a CZ.
Old April 18, 2011, 08:19 PM   #22
10mm4ever

If you get a Beretta, drop in a "D" spring. It makes a noticeable difference to the stock trigger. As far as weight/size, I doubt anyone could conceal one much easier than the other. But since this is for "plinking and home defense", the difference in size/weight doesnt matter.
Old April 21, 2011, 02:08 PM   #23
gunluver

I own and shoot both a Beretta (92A1) and a cz (compact PCR)
I shoot great groups with both pistols and enjoy shooting either one of them. I trust both equally with my life (carrying or home defense). To me the beretta is better as far as finish and "prettiness" But the cz fits me better. I have found NO OTHER pistol that fits me as well as the cz compact!
Old April 21, 2011, 08:54 PM   #24
stevieboy

I never cease to be amazed by the number of people who reduced their choices in 9mm to Beretta and CZ. I am one of those. I tried numerous guns -- Glocks, Springfield XD, S & W M & P, Ruger SR9, a couple of Sig models, and a few others, and found reasons not to want any of them. Then I tried the Beretta 92FS and the CZ 75B. It was a very close contest with me vacillating back and forth between the two guns for a while. In the end, I chose the CZ for the following reasons: (1) ergonomics. The gun just felt better in my hand; (2) price. The CZ is about $100 cheaper than the Beretta; (3) performance. The Beretta shot well for me, the CZ shot GREAT for me.

So, I'm a CZ owner and a committed CZ fanboy. But, as I've said, it was a close contest.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:48 PM   #25
JerseyDrez

Cz 75b hands down.

I don't even need to justify my answer. If you handle one and it's comfortable, which I am sure it will be, then you're set.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "