The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 14, 2018, 03:00 PM   #26
Real Gun

A sustained average of a round every 7 seconds would be needed for 500 rounds per hour. That would include reloading primer tubes, primer feeds, and brass (if you have added the case feeder), along with any interruptions due to irregularities in components. I would like to see someone do that, especially as a matter of routine, not a sprint that is hard to sustain. There is also a certain level of fumbling to place bullets for seating and doing it by hand.
Old December 14, 2018, 04:09 PM   #27
dwhite

Get the Lee turret press.

Some earlier mentioned you need 160 rounds per week for your annual consumption. I can do about 120 per hour on mine at a steady pace. Pushing it I could probably do 150.

Like someone else said, you can disable the auto-index on the Lee and use it as a single stage press.

All the Best,
D. White
Old December 14, 2018, 04:19 PM   #28
Rangerrich99

Turret. Which one is somewhat irrelevant, but the Lee Classic Turret is a decent low-cost choice.

I have a Redding T-7, which allows me to put both my .357/.38 dies and my .44 mag/spl dies on the same turret head.

Even with just clean unprepped brass, I can easily run over 200 rounds an hour. With prepped brass (cleaned/deprimed/expanded) I can run more than 320 rounds an hour. That's with pistol cartridges, not rifle.

I assume that about the same is possible with a Lee C Turret. Of course, at first, you have to begin slowly, so figure half of that as a starting point/goal.

With a single stage it would be difficult to match 200 rounds an hour, regardless of competence.
Old December 14, 2018, 06:01 PM   #29
McCarthy

100 primers take me 2 min, 500 primers will be 10 minutes. Since OP is going to reload .357 Magnum only, there will be no fumbling once everything is dialed in.

Adding more powder to the hopper takes me 1 minute. Grabbing a bin of cases and bullets another 2 minutes.

60 - 13 = 47 minutes = 2,820 seconds / 500 rounds = 5.64 seconds for each round.

One round takes me about 4 seconds once I'm going, leaving enough margin.

If that doesn't cut it, I'll use my 1050.

Old December 15, 2018, 09:06 PM   #30
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertube View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm planning to start with reloading in the next weeks.
I live in Germany, so I first had to participate in a reloading training, wait for the qualification certificate which I have to send to public authority. They will visit me at home to check f the storage room meets the legal regulations and so on... Than I will get my "official reloading certificate"

So I have time to decide which press would be the best to start my reloading carreer.

I own 2 revolvers (.357) and a lever action (also .357 Magnum) so I will only need to reload this caliber for the first time. I have no plans to reload rifle calibers in the near future, (maybe 44-40WCF)

I think that I will need roundabout 8.000-12.000 rounds per year.

At the reloading training the Trainer and other guys recommended to buy a single-stage press, which would be better to really learn how to reload.

As full progressive presses are a bit pricy in Germany ($1100 for a Dillon 650) I've found the Lee Classic Turret, which seems to be somewhere between a single stage and progressive press, but much cheaper.

Lee Classic Cast kit would be roundabout $300, a single stage also around $250.

What would you guys do ?
Lee Classic Turret is a fine press to start with. It's faster than a single stage, less aggravating than Lee's Loadmaster or Pro 1000 progressives.

6 months ago I bought Lee's new Breech Lock Pro progressive. So far, it's been a good press, comparable in price to the Lee Classic Turret.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; December 15, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old December 17, 2018, 04:19 AM   #31
powertube

First of all, many thanks for your support. appreciated

Now I'm sure that I will buy a Turret Press. I just have to decide between the LEE and the Redding.

The T7 seems to be much more sturdy, but is much more expensive over here.
Are Redding and LEE producing their products in USA? I've heard about that RCBS has outsourced parts of their production to china, so I want to "support" a Company which supports US economy.

As turret presses are very rare in Germany, i hope I can ask here, if I need help setting it up?
Old December 17, 2018, 08:46 AM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The Redding does not offer auto-indexing and auto advance of the turret. You have to manually advance the turret for each step in the process. It's arguably sturdier than the Lee, but not by all that much, and certainly not enough to make a difference for a small handgun cartridge like .357 Magnum. IMHO (as a user of the original Lee Turret Press -- not the cast iron Classic Turret) the Redding is overkill in the strength department (for straight wall handgun calibers), while slower and more awkward to use. And the Redding gives you seven dies, but for handgun you almost certainly won't use more than three, or maybe four if you go with a Lee die set that includes the factory crimp die.

With the Lee, you don't have to worry about manually advancing the turret -- it advances automatically when you release the handle.

If you haven't already done so, look at the two videos of the Lee that I posted links to in an early post in this discussion. Compare that to this video of the Redding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-zvk4_qr2s

I don't think there's any comparison. I could never achieve the production I get from the Lee if I were using the Redding.
Old December 17, 2018, 10:17 AM   #33
MarkCO

After 30 years of reloading, I finally have my bench the way I want it.

For pistol and the AR15s, I started on a single stage then went to a Lee Pro-1000, then Dillon. While I like some Lee Dies, and the Pro-1000 is actually okay for small primer pistol rounds, not a fan of their single stage presses. I could measure the flex and I broke a few. If Dillon did not exist, I might still be loading straight walled pistol case cartridge on a Pro-1000. I loaded close to 100K on the first one I had. If you can get a chance to try one, that might not be a bad choice. If you were doing under 5K a year, I might steer you towards a turret, but at 10K a year, I think you will be happier with a progressive. Their Loadmaster is junk, BTW.

I have a Redding T7 and I agree it is way overkill for pistol, so I would not suggest it for you.
Old December 17, 2018, 04:00 PM   #34
gwpercle

Single stage.
You will always find a need for a single stage press...even after upgrading to fully automatic progressive machines. Turrets are just single stage press with a revolving head, not really a big improvement, you can just leave the adjusted dies screwed in the head .. not really a big improvement in out put .
All that auto indexing , auto turning and auto whatever just means you spend more time monkeying with wheels , gears and springs trying to get it working right and here is where the chance for a no powder charge creeps in. You have to be extremely careful operating the auto indexing.
After 50 years , tried many a press, I have 3 single stage bench mounted, one old Lyman AA Turret bench mounted, and two Lee Hand presses, portable single stage presses not bench mounted .
Gary
Old December 17, 2018, 04:56 PM   #35
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwpercle
All that auto indexing , auto turning and auto whatever just means you spend more time monkeying with wheels , gears and springs trying to get it working right and here is where the chance for a no powder charge creeps in. You have to be extremely careful operating the auto indexing.
I respectfully disagree. I have loaded many thousands of rounds on my Lee Turret Press, using the Lee Autodisk powder measure, and the only time I've had a failure to drop powder was the time I was making a video and I forget to rotate the reservoir to turn on the powder measure. Not a mechanical issue at all ... it was purely brain fade on the operator's part.

The auto-indexing feature of the Lee Turret Press isn't complicated and it doesn't require any special care. It just works. I started with a single stage press. I realized within a week that I couldn't make enough ammunition on a single stage press to keep up with the amount I was shooting every week in competition. The turret press is significantly faster, yet there's still only one operation going on each time you pull the handle, so there's no loss of control over the loading process.
Old December 17, 2018, 05:23 PM   #36
Real Gun

I have and use a single stage but not for reloading, only miscellaneous operations...things like bulge busting or resizing cases from pulled bullets. The only reloading operation I can think of is crimping 45 ACP lead after doing all the rest on a progressive with not enough stations.

One will need a single stage eventually, but starting out on handgun ammo on a single stage will get old very fast and just increase that cost of getting started when you replace it.
Old December 17, 2018, 09:16 PM   #37
52_and_done

They sure have you jump through a whole lot of hoops just to reload for your weapons where you live powertube, Sorry about that my friend. I'm in the reverse situation as you seem to be in, as I have down graded from a faster method to a slower, but surer method. I used to load on a Dillon RL450 Square Deal some decades ago (when I was loading around 10k to 20k rounds per year), but now use a Lee Classic Turret Press set up in Single Stage mode and Love it a lot. If you are one that is able to pay attention to detail (and don't have a lot of distractions while reloading), then a Dillon (or any progressive press) will work out for you just fine, but you have to be focused while doing your work (which holds true for loading on any type of Press, but more so on a Progressive Press). Right now I am comfortable loading at a rate of about 100+ rounds per hour on my Lee Classic Turret, as I don't get out to the range as much as I would like to these days, so don't need the volume I once did, but still enjoy loading and don't feel the need to be on top of my game and know what is going on in all 4 stages at once, just on one stage. Reloading is a Quiet and Peaceful endever that is very rewarding and safe to do (when done properly that is). Whatever your choice, have fun and load safely my friend.
Old December 18, 2018, 04:03 AM   #38
powertube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52_and_done View Post
They sure have you jump through a whole lot of hoops just to reload for your weapons where you live powertube, Sorry about that my friend.
You’re completely right, but I already experienced this to get my firearms license. Sad enough, but we will have to accept this. It’s also possible that private ownership of firearms will be banned.
Once the day arrives, I will emigrate to a country which has more liberal gun laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52_and_done View Post
Right now I am comfortable loading at a rate of about 100+ rounds per hour on my Lee Classic Turret, as I don't get out to the range as much as I would like to these days, so don't need the volume I once did, but still enjoy loading and don't feel the need to be on top of my game and know what is going on in all 4 stages at once, just on one stage. Reloading is a Quiet and Peaceful endever that is very rewarding and safe to do (when done properly that is). Whatever your choice, have fun and load safely my friend.
I want to reload not only for producing rounds, but to relax and compensate for the daily grind.
Also I want to learn more about ballistics and firearms. Perhaps I’m too naive, but I like the idea of shooting rounds built with my own hands much more than to load as fast and as much as possible. Especially these days, where everything has to be done quickly.

I just ordered the Lee Classic Turret Kit! Can you guys recommend me a powder measure?
My LGS can get those: RCBS Uniflow, Lyman No.55, Hornady L-N-L (and Hornady L-N-L Bench Rest)
Old December 18, 2018, 08:53 AM   #39
buck460XVR

Quote:

I think that I will need roundabout 8.000-12.000 rounds per year.

At the reloading training the Trainer and other guys recommended to buy a single-stage press, which would be better to really learn how to reload.

As full progressive presses are a bit pricy in Germany ($1100 for a Dillon 650) I've found the Lee Classic Turret, which seems to be somewhere between a single stage and progressive press, but much cheaper.

Lee Classic Cast kit would be roundabout $300, a single stage also around $250.

What would you guys do ?
Your trainer was right........SS is the best way to learn and iffin you have one, you will always use it. That said, for your purpose at some point a progressive dedicated to .357 would be the answer for stuffing 8-12,000 cases a year. One has to look at the cost of a good press as an investment, not only in it's ability to make quality ammo, but to do it without making it a dreaded task. Sorry, I load about 5,000 rounds a year on a SS, but I certainly wouldn't want to do more than that. My ammo is a Duke's mixture of caliber and bullet weights, so I am constantly changing dies and settings. You would not have to do that.

So a progressive is substantially higher in Germany that here in the states...I'd wager that components are more expensive also. 12,000 primers would be over $400 here in the states. 12,000 bulk 158 gr JHPs, probably over $1200. Those two components themselves cost more than the progressive press. That doesn't include powder and brass. Something to consider.......as is your time.

Iffin it were me, and I really did intend to reload 12,000 rounds a year, every year for a extended period of time, I wouldn't waste my time or invest in a entry level turret. I'd rather invest first in a quality SS and then when I am familiar with what I am doing, would move on to the dedicated progressive. The SS will always be a valuable tool for developing new loads and would suffice if and when you decide to move on to a small amount of 44-40.
Old December 18, 2018, 09:35 AM   #40
lee n. field

Quote:
Y

I just ordered the Lee Classic Turret Kit! Can you guys recommend me a powder measure?
My LGS can get those: RCBS Uniflow, Lyman No.55, Hornady L-N-L (and Hornady L-N-L Bench Rest)
For the Classic Turret, get Lee's Auto Drum. Also you'll need Lee's riser, to give it enough height to clear.

The Auto Drum integrates with Lee's expander die, freeing up a die position for something else (usually a crimping die).
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 18, 2018, 09:36 AM   #41
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertube
Can you guys recommend me a powder measure?
Any of those will be good, but why are you not considering the Lee Autodisk powder measure? It's designed to operate with the Lee turret presses. When used with the disks that have fixed apertures, you don't have the ability to dial in with an accuracy of 1/10th of a grain of powder, but for handgun that typically isn't a problem. If you need more precision than that, there is a micrometer adjustable insert that can be used with the Autodisk.

The Autodisk mounts directly to the Lee expander die (the second station in their 4-die set for pistols) and is actuated automatically when the case is pushed up into the die.
Old December 18, 2018, 09:45 AM   #42
jmorris

I started reloading over 30 years ago 357 magnum on a Dillon SD. Once everything is setup and ready I can load 100 rounds in just under 10 minutes. Much faster than I can using a single stage or turret press and less work too.

That said ammunition loaded on any of them will shoot the same, only differences are how long it’s going to take to put them together and how much money you have in equipment.
Old December 18, 2018, 10:28 AM   #43
Real Gun

Quote:
I tried the Hornady on my Lee turret and it was too heavy, and there was no room for the expander adjustment bracket. Lee's own measure is ideal and I agree that the AutoDrum is the place to start. It has been mentioned that a "riser" will need to be added, and I will clarify that the Lee powder-through expander die (for each caliber) is needed as a base.
Old December 18, 2018, 12:04 PM   #44
powertube

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post

So a progressive is substantially higher in Germany that here in the states...I'd wager that components are more expensive also. 12,000 primers would be over $400 here in the states. 12,000 bulk 158 gr JHPs, probably over $1200. Those two components themselves cost more than the progressive press. That doesn't include powder and brass. Something to consider.......as is your time.
Guns and Hardware are much more expensive over here. I think for most US brands you have to pay twice as the US prices.

components and ammo are also a bit more expensive, but no compare to the price differences for hardware and guns.

Last edited by powertube; December 18, 2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old December 19, 2018, 02:02 AM   #45
dgang

Since you are starting out, you will undoubtable be experimenting with different powders and bullets. For this a turret president is ideal. There are lot to choose from. If you settle on one recipe a progressive is the way to go. A Dillon RL 650 is not necessary, a RL 550 will do the same and costs a lot less. Good luck.
Old December 19, 2018, 09:57 AM   #46
Real Gun

Quote:
Since you are starting out, you will undoubtable be experimenting with different powders and bullets. For this a turret president is ideal.
A "turret president" is a fascinating mental image.
Old December 19, 2018, 11:24 AM   #47
dgang

Damn Real Gun, no more late night postings for me.
Old December 19, 2018, 11:46 AM   #48
cw308

I only have a single stage RCBS RockChucker press but I feel what ever press you go with there is a learning curve , once past that it will go smooth . All good advice here even though you probably have your mind made up . Go with your gut .

Last edited by cw308; December 19, 2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old December 19, 2018, 12:14 PM   #49
Metal god

I recommend the Lee classic turret . I chose mine for handgun reloading because of the auto indexing feature and pretty much that alone , well price had a roll . It was my opinion that if the tool head auto indexes . That's one less thing I have to remember when reloading . My thought was If I don't have to manually index the turret , I'd be less likely to double charge a case by mistake . Of course good reloading habits should reduce that risk regardless of the press you use but stuff happens .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 14, 2019, 06:20 AM   #50
powertube

Hey Guys,

many thanks for your help, much appreciated!

A friend which retired reloading gave me his old rock chucker. Not bad for learning and testing the basics about reloading and dies, but it's an absolute torture to reload high qtys of pistol ammo.

Ordered a lee classic turret last week, I hope it will arrive next week!