The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 19, 2013, 12:38 PM   #1
"JJ"

Northeast Texas double down

With the wind out of the Northwest this morning I choose a spot that worked and headed out!

This property is a large cattle ranch about a half mile from the Red River with a portion of the property dedicated to waterfowl by Ducks Unlimited and another portion leased as a deer lease. Then there are 100s and 100s of head of cattle all over!

Coyote signs are heavy here but the amount of traffic I think has had them on edge. I also think some of them may have been calling some as well. I once found a dead coyote that had been shot that was attributed to the lease members.

As I was gearing up at the truck I heard some coyotes sound off. They were straight up wind (NW) from me and weren't far at all!
I chose to walk about a 1000 yards North to achieve a crosswind from where I thought they were.

The set up was perfect, the Northwest wind was right to left at about 7-10 mph. I was sitting against a large tree and the rising sun would be at my back. In front of me was one of the clearest pastures that butted up to the woods that I believed the howls came from.

I set the MOJO critter and the Turbo Dogg about 30 yards out and got settled in. I started off with a female howl on the Turbo Dogg and answered back with a young high pitched howl on my MFK diaphragm. After a few minutes I repeated the above sequence a couple of times. Nothing.
After another pause I switched to the Cardinal Death Cry and let it play for a few minutes. After still nothing and another pause scanning the field for movement I was now close the 20 minute mark in the stand and getting a bit concerned.
I switched to a great sounding call on the Turbo Dogg called Coyote Pup Frenzy and they could not resist it!
About 400 yards straight in front of me I catch movement! I take a peek through the scope and it's a coyote! As I focus with my eyes back to the coyote I see another 30 yards or so behind the first one. They stop on top of a knoll to try to find out what is going on.
Another low volume blast of the frenzy gets them to continue my way but they are now circling downwind and checking every little scent on the way.

As they start getting close to my scent cone I line up the scope on the trailing coyote (thinking I may be able to get some lead launched at the closer one before it disappeared) and let out a bark on my diaphragm and, just as scripted in my head, the coyote in my scope stops broad side at just over 150 yards and looks my way!
BANG! THWACK! FUR CYCLONE!
I quickly work the action as I find the other coyote heading straight away with tail tucked in fur rock mode! BUT, some quick ki-yis on my MFK diaphragm convinces this feller that he could not leave his girl! I think the fur cyclone he saw when he looked back may have helped my cause but none the less, he continued running but started to loop back around.
He made a couple of half circles around her as she finally ran out of gas and another loud bark caught his attention again and he stopped for the picture perfect broad side shot!
BANG! THWACK! FLOP!
Thank you Lord!

They were both of average size with the male tipping the scale at 35lbs 2oz and the female slightly smaller at 34lbs 7oz.

Thanks for looking!
Old April 19, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
globemaster3

Very nice! Was the shotgun for gobbler insurance?

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old April 19, 2013, 10:04 PM   #3
"JJ"

Quote:
Very nice! Was the shotgun for gobbler insurance?
Thanks!
No, I tote a shotgun on every stand! When they come in fast and furious it is hard to get a scope on em!
Old April 20, 2013, 07:55 AM   #4
Hunter Customs

"JJ", you are the man when it comes to coyote hunting.
Great pics, great thread and a job well done.

You are more dedicated then I am, as I don't want to pack two guns and gear coyote hunting, however I understand your reason for doing so.
I do on occassion pack a handgun along with a rifle.

As I get older I find myself figuring out ways to travel lighter, lately I've been using mouth blown calls more then I have the E-caller to help reduce the weight I pack.

Keep up the good job, I always enjoy reading the threads about your coyote hunting ventures.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 20, 2013, 01:41 PM   #5
"JJ"

Thanks Bob!
I almost enjoy talking about em as much as I do calling em! Almost!

Have only been chasing them for a few years I am still learning.
So far I have learned that a full grown coyote coyote can just materialize in the middle of the field you are straining your eyes on! Hence the shotgun to every stand!
I have learned that it is possible to call in more coyotes the you have shells in your gun! Hence the extra mag on my belt for the rifle and 9 extra rounds in the stock sleeve.
I have learned that coyotes are not the predators you can encounter while out in the woods! Hence the S&W M&P on my hip at all times!
It is a bit cliche but my wife, after seeing the amount of ammo and weapons I carry hunting with me, asked me "what are you worried about running into!"

Of course I replied, "nuttin now"!
Old April 22, 2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Thanks Bob!
I almost enjoy talking about em as much as I do calling em! Almost!

Have only been chasing them for a few years I am still learning.
So far I have learned that a full grown coyote coyote can just materialize in the middle of the field you are straining your eyes on! Hence the shotgun to every stand!
I have learned that it is possible to call in more coyotes the you have shells in your gun! Hence the extra mag on my belt for the rifle and 9 extra rounds in the stock sleeve.
I have learned that coyotes are not the predators you can encounter while out in the woods! Hence the S&W M&P on my hip at all times!
It is a bit cliche but my wife, after seeing the amount of ammo and weapons I carry hunting with me, asked me "what are you worried about running into!"

Of course I replied, "nuttin now"!
"JJ"

It looks to me that you have learned well.

I know exactly what you mean about coyotes materializing out of nowhere, more then once I've looked one way then looked back to be staring eye to eye with one.

As for extra ammo, I've been using my AR a lot lately however it's not as accurate as my bolt guns for the longer range shots.
I do like it's quick handling, especially for follow up shots on more then one target, it's also shorter and easier to pack.

I agree about other things in the woods that one might have a close encounter with, that's my reason for packing a handgun.

As I said before keep up the good job and keep posting threads about your hunts.
Good luck and stay safe.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 24, 2013, 10:26 AM   #7
"JJ"

Hmm, so you use a semi-auto rifle for hunting? I could have swore I saw on the news the other day the NOBODY used them for hunting!
lol The ARs have come along way in the sporting/hunting world since the explosion of the 3 gun competitions and I think with a tested reload you can get a pretty accurate weapon that has that quick follow up you mentioned!
Thanks for the kind words!
Old April 27, 2013, 08:10 AM   #8
Hunter Customs

"JJ"
Yea I've heard the talking heads in the news and a few politicians lay claim that no one hunts with an AR, of course they have no clue as to what they are talking about.
Then again they have no clue about hunting or why anyone would want to hunt coyotes either.

I had another AR that was more accurate then the one I have now, it was a heavy barrel varmint rifle.
I shot Prairie Dogs with it at 400 plus yards.
I sold it then I realize how much I missed it.

I decided when I bought my other AR to go with a shorter barrel lighter weight rifle and it's not as accurate as my first AR or I'm not as accurate with it as I was with my first one.
I' have not handloaded for it yet but I'm thinking about starting, I've been shooting the Winchester 45 gr JHP factory loads in it.

I've shot a couple of JP ARs, and they were just as accurate as he claims them to be.
They are a little costly, however they are fine rifles.
I have several friends that competed in 3 gun matches that used them.

Anyway keep up the good work, like you I like coyote hunting and talking coyote hunting.
As a matter of fact, coyote hunting is at the top of my list when it comes to hunting.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old April 27, 2013, 06:16 PM   #9
"JJ"

Bob what twist does that barrel have?
I am think it will likely have a 1:9 twist.
If so you may be able to tighten up your group by just switching to a larger bullet.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:47 AM   #10
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Bob what twist does that barrel have?
I am think it will likely have a 1:9 twist.
If so you may be able to tighten up your group by just switching to a larger bullet.
JJ,

Yes my new AR has a 1in9 twist, as for now with the factory Winchester loads I can do 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards.
I know I could tighten up the groups with some good handloads but I'm not sure I want to handload for another rifle right now.

With the shorter barrel (16 inch) and light bullets I consider my new AR to be my 200 yard rifle.
Most of the coyotes I call in will be much closer then that.
When I get one that's a little unsure and wants to set-up on me out there at about 400 yards and I can't coax him in, I just pass on the shot until another time.
The next time I go to that same place to call I make it a point to take one of my longer range shooters with me and leave the AR at home.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old May 3, 2013, 08:49 AM   #11
allaroundhunter

Re: Northeast Texas double down

JJ, great shooting! May I ask around what area of Northeast Texas you are hunting at?
Old May 10, 2013, 09:54 PM   #12
"JJ"

Sorry for the delay allaroundhunter, life got in my way!
I am from the Northest and the Eastest of Texas. I am in Bowie county.
Thanks! I am about 20 miles from the Northern and the Eastern state line.