The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 4, 2018, 08:59 PM   #1
Miles2014

Ruger Mark III Hunter to Mark IV

I’ve got a Ruger Mark III Hunter and was thinking of trading it in to get the IV. Aside from the easier disassembly, is there other meaningful improvements compared to the older III? Would you do the trade?

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2018, 10:45 PM   #2
3Crows

I would trade a III, maybe not a II. The mag release, the safety, the slide release, the easy disassembly, taped for a rail, yeah. 3C
Old May 5, 2018, 05:43 AM   #3
Targa

If I were to buy one today, it would be the Mark IV because of the dissasembly but I wouldn’t trade my III in for a IV just for that.
Old May 5, 2018, 06:45 AM   #4
Z400ACDC

I have a mark 2,3 and 4. The mkiv is easier to take down, but I find that the only advantage. After you get rid of the mag disconect, I like the mkiii better than the mkii because the mag release is where it should be and all come drilled and tapped. The Mark 3s are not bring a lot. I would just keep it. You can make a friend or family members day by taking them plinking a loan them your mkiii. After you get rid of that mag disconect by swapping out that bushing that takes about ten minutes and ten dollars, take down is much easier.
Old May 5, 2018, 06:55 AM   #5
Miles2014

Thanks for all the info, all. I also heard a rumor that Ruger sells a kit that allows you to essentially convert a III to a IV. Is that true or just internet crap?

Thanks again!
Old May 5, 2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Pahoo

For me, not worth the effort and expense

Quote:
Aside from the easier disassembly, is there other meaningful improvements compared to the older III?
As others have stated, I would not trade for the reason you mentioned. In fact, I am happy with the MK-II.

Now then, "If" I did not own any, yes I would buy the MK-IV. .....

Quote:
I also heard a rumor that Ruger sells a kit that allows you to essentially convert a III to a IV. Is that true or just internet crap?
Am not aware of this but am skeptical. I do know that there are after market parts that makes the process easier and some have been available, for many years. Personally, they are very pricey and I have no issues with cleaning mine.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 5, 2018, 11:38 AM   #7
T. O'Heir

Nope. You're trading one entry level .22 for the same thing. .22's rarely require disassembly too.
It was discussed by these guys last year.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=583262
Old May 5, 2018, 12:00 PM   #8
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles2014 View Post
Thanks for all the info, all. I also heard a rumor that Ruger sells a kit that allows you to essentially convert a III to a IV. Is that true or just internet crap?

Thanks again!
Yes. It consist of a mkIV barrel/receiver, frame and internal parts.

Jim
Old May 5, 2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Ricklin

Why?

I have a Mk. III Hunter and like it very much. The takedown is greatly overblown.
I actually like the engineering that went in to it. Not hard at all when you get the hang of it.

And the point is well taken, they just don't need to be be taken down much at all.
Does the Mk. IIII have the idiotic loaded chamber indicator? That was really the issue with my Mk. III and is easily disabled by removing the little tab that extends in to the chamber.

Mine went from jam o matic to well behaved with the removal of that little tab. Prior it would only function well with Mini Mags. Now it eats everything.

I do need to get rid of the mag safety. Once I have a place to work on firearms again, I will.
Old May 5, 2018, 01:07 PM   #10
Z400ACDC

I clean the MKIII sometimes by just taking out the mag, opening the bolt and spraying it out with kerosene. I then blow the pistol out with compressed air.
Old May 6, 2018, 06:50 AM   #11
DAKA

KEROSENE ?? This is something I have never heard before...
Old May 6, 2018, 08:17 AM   #12
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles2014 View Post

Thanks again!
Miles, Majestic Arms is the manufacturer of The SPEED STRIP. It sounds like this is what you're looking for.
Old May 6, 2018, 08:29 AM   #13
CajunBass

Am I the only one who thinks the MK IV is as ugly as a mud fence? There seem to be a bunch of do-dads on the right side that I guess make it easier to take down, but man, they mess up the clean lines IMHO.

I've never had that much trouble taking down a MK 1, 2, or 3 anyway. I admit that most of the time I just spray it down with Gunscrubber, then put a drop or two of oil here and there, and it sort of finds it way where it needs to go, but I can break one down with no problem. The hardest part was hitting with something that first time.

The only one I've got now is an old standard model, first generation. I wouldn't trade it for a new one.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 6, 2018, 09:21 AM   #14
3Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the MK IV is as ugly as a mud fence? There seem to be a bunch of do-dads on the right side that I guess make it easier to take down, but man, they mess up the clean lines IMHO.

I've never had that much trouble taking down a MK 1, 2, or 3 anyway. I admit that most of the time I just spray it down with Gunscrubber, then put a drop or two of oil here and there, and it sort of finds it way where it needs to go, but I can break one down with no problem. The hardest part was hitting with something that first time.

The only one I've got now is an old standard model, first generation. I wouldn't trade it for a new one.
What doodads? The ambi-safety is there and can be removed if desired but I like it (wife is left handed), nice feature for some. The takedown is the button on the rear under the charger. There are no doodads.

Full take down and reassembly in about 30 seconds.

3C
Old May 6, 2018, 09:56 AM   #15
gnystrom

I have a couple of MKIII's with all Volquartsen parts and once the mag disconnect and the loaded chamber indicator is removed the gun is as good as it gets. Once you get the field stripping procedure down, it will take you only a few seconds longer to strip the MKIII. I have heard the MKIII's can be available at great prices if you look. Either way you can't go wrong.

I use my MKIII hunter for training new shooters and after well over 100,000 rounds through it I have only replaced a few parts that should be part or long term maintenance for any semi-auto.

Old May 6, 2018, 10:14 AM   #16
mete

Kerosene ? WD-40 happens to be mostly kerosene.
As much as many love WD-40 it's not the best and I don't have it in my home .
Cajun's way would be better .
Old May 6, 2018, 10:44 AM   #17
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete View Post
Kerosene ? WD-40 happens to be mostly kerosene.
Wrong.
"Norm Larsen, founder of Rocket Chemical Company, is considered the original founder of WD-40," according to wd40.com. ... WD-40 does not contain fish oil, contrary to a popular myth, nor does it contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs).Jul 24, 2009”

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; May 6, 2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:58 AM   #18
laytonj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
Miles, Majestic Arms is the manufacturer of The SPEED STRIP. It sounds like this is what you're looking for.
That kit allows you to remove the bolt without disassembly.
Old May 6, 2018, 11:37 PM   #19
AzShooter

I like my Mark IV over my Mark III. Yes, you do have to clean the Mark III and when you do you will learn that it can be a PITA.

The Mark IV is easy to take apart and there are many accessories for it. I changed the barrel to a Volquartsen LLV 6 and now love the gun even more. Not to say the accuracy of the Mark III Hunter isn't great though.

Old May 7, 2018, 05:02 PM   #20
rt11002003

The Mark iv hasn't had any appeal to me; so far. IMO the shorter barrel Rugers are better balanced and as a consequence I shoot them more accurately. However, over the past three range trips I've been shooting my Mark ii Government Target with a scope and getting excellent results shooting off a small bag. Probably the bag adds to the balance of that longer barrel. I have three Mark iii models and the Government Target Mark ii. Two short barrels (Target and TALO Hunter) and two long barrels (Government Target and Competition Target). Clearly, the Mark iii models have some parts that are a pain for some of us. Take down is an issue for some folks. My first one was a problem for me. But, I've read the manual and followed it since without any issues.
Old May 7, 2018, 07:08 PM   #21
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonj1 View Post
That kit allows you to remove the bolt without disassembly.
My bad. I regret any confusion my comment may have caused.
Old May 7, 2018, 08:18 PM   #22
Z400ACDC

It cleans very good. Give it a try.
Old May 9, 2018, 06:32 PM   #23
SGW Gunsmith

Absolutely nothing, NOTHING, on the Ruger Mark III that can't be fixed, changed, modified, or improved. Take a look at post #15 "gnystrom's" post. Do you see that fugly "Loaded Chamber Indicator?" NOPE, it's been removed and a filler installed. He has a Volquartsen Custom trigger installed and I'll bet the magazine disco parts are somewhere else, hopefully forgotten.

It doesn't take a whole lot to set up a Ruger Mark III very close to what the Mark II pistols are like. And...............that Ruger Mark III Hunter his picture shows in one of the rarest of all the Ruger Mark III pistols. Didn't make very many and it took me 2 years to find mine, new in the box.

It has a Clark Custom trigger, an S.G.W. LLC custom fit hammer bushing, LCI filler and a VC sear. The bolt has a "Positive Extractor" that tosses spent cases 12 to 15 feet to the right. This is my favorite "walk-about" pistol I carry when inspecting my empire for furry trespassers.