The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 20, 2012, 05:39 PM   #1
MrDontPlay

What state has the best gun laws?

I know they all suck(gun laws), but I was just wondering where the best place for a gun nut to live would be. I live in south west MO, and our gun laws are pretty good. My town has 3 class free dealers, we can carry loaded guns in our car with no permit, we can get a CCW permit, we can open carry with no permit and we aren't required to register firearms. There is also no "cooling of period" when buying firearms. We can walk in to the LGS/bass pro/walmart/the mall and walk out with a gun in a few minutes. As far as gun ownership goes, we've got it pretty good here, but what's the best place to live and love guns?
Old February 20, 2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Carry_24/7

I've lived in 3 of the best; Arizona, Texas, and Florida.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Sparks1957

Almost impossible to beat my home state of Vermont in that regard. No silly CCW permits required here at all.
Old February 20, 2012, 08:32 PM   #4
ar15man2009

From what I can tell kentucky is the same as MO, in every aspect. There arent really any limitations here. You do have to have a permit to conceal though.
Old February 20, 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
KenLondregan

I don’t know what the best state is, but I can tell you that here in New Jersey the laws are very restrictive. You can only purchase one handgun every thirty days, and that is with a permit to purchase a handgun. There is no open carry allowed, and forget about getting a concealed carry permit unless you are a retired law enforcement officer.
Old February 20, 2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Don H

Here's a thread from last month that likely answers you're question: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472576
Old February 20, 2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Lots of threads on this , but Kentucky is one of the most pro gun states around.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:08 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

On the Brady scorecard, Arkansas scored a respectable 4 out of 100, the same as MO.
Old February 20, 2012, 09:15 PM   #9
Standing Wolf
Member in memoriam

I've got to vote for Vermont, Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming, which adhere to the Second Amendment, which is to say: they respect the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
Old February 20, 2012, 10:49 PM   #10
ar15man2009

after checking the brady scorecard, i see that kentucky is a 2, for not allowing guns on all college campuses.
Old February 21, 2012, 01:34 AM   #11
csmsss

I'd agree with Standing Wolf, and perhaps throw Utah in with the ones he mentioned. Texas somehow has a reputation as being very gun-friendly, but when you look at the actual laws, that reputation is misplaced.
Old February 21, 2012, 06:08 AM   #12
Salmoneye

Quote:
Almost impossible to beat my home state of Vermont in that regard. No silly CCW permits required here at all.
What he said...
Old February 21, 2012, 11:58 AM   #13
divil

Quote:
I've got to vote for Vermont, Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming, which adhere to the Second Amendment, which is to say: they respect the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
In Vermont, not only do you not need a carry permit, you can't even apply for one. They don't have it! I think that makes it the most gun-friendly place on planet. Alaska and Arizona are close, but I think Arizona has certain places where you can carry with a permit, but not without. Not sure about Alaska. On the other hand, these states have a more practical approach in that you can still get the permit if you want, and hence take advantage of reciprocity with other states. Wyoming is lagging behind because only residents can carry without a permit. Still, these 4 states are top of the heap overall.
Old February 21, 2012, 10:18 PM   #14
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by divil
Not sure about Alaska.
No permit required in Alaska, concealed or open carry. There is a permit available to residents, but that's pretty much strictly for reciprocity with other states.

If you can legally own it, you can carry it in Alaska, no permit necessary.

I don't think anyone can beat Alaska, no not even Vermont. A VT resident would have to go through the hassle of a non-resident CWP from a state like FL in order to carry legally in any other state (aside from AK, AZ, WY). Alaska residents can get a CWP (shall-issue) for reciprocity purposes with no problems, that's why I'd give it the edge over VT, because you can get a permit, but you do not have to. Anyone in the state of AK, even non-residents, can enjoy an unimpeded 2nd Amendment.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old February 22, 2012, 05:08 AM   #15
Sparks1957

Quote:
A VT resident would have to go through the hassle of a non-resident CWP from a state like FL in order to carry legally in any other state (aside from AK, AZ, WY).
You do make a good point about the reciprocity issues for Vermonters. However, I would be willing to deal with that in return for the freedoms I get at home.
Old February 22, 2012, 05:27 AM   #16
youngunz4life

From what I know...which can't be more than the average person, I would have to say Alaska. It is said that 90% of the people pulled over and/or questioned by police(for absolutely whatever reason) are carrying a firearm. Besides that, I can't think of another more gun-friendly state. I'll take coasties word for it.
Old February 22, 2012, 04:27 PM   #17
lawnboy

I don't know much about the actual gun laws in Alaska, but every single one of the more than 2 dozen Alaska residents I know owns multiple firearms and hunts regularly. I've made a few business trips to Anchorage and Fairbanks. I remember being astonished at the sheer number of firearms you actually see if you are looking for them. I vote for Alaska.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old February 23, 2012, 03:05 PM   #18
jgcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1957
You do make a good point about the reciprocity issues for Vermonters. However, I would be willing to deal with that in return for the freedoms I get at home.
You get the same freedoms in AK as you do in VT... Open or concealed carry, no permit requirements. But the added benefits of AK are that you can get a resident permit for reciprocity purposes.

And I think the culture and attitude towards guns are more favorable in AK than anywhere else. The subsistence lifestyle is still alive and well in AK. When you have to hunt for a large portion of the years meat, you tend to favor the 2ndA in its purist interpretation.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old February 23, 2012, 04:23 PM   #19
Armorer-at-Law

I depends on what's most important to you...
Quote:
In Vermont, not only do you not need a carry permit, you can't even apply for one. They don't have it! I think that makes it the most gun-friendly place on planet.
True, but silencers, for example, are not legal in VT.

Other states have little oddities in their laws that may never bother you -- or may drive you crazy. Ohio is very gun friendly in most respects, but insert a magazine that holds more than 31 rounds in any firearm and it is considered a "machine gun" under state law.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:12 PM   #20
youngunz4life

I believe I am in the minority, but silencers bother me....no point I guess, worked a double plus haven't slept in a long while. I just always think of the evil they are used for.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:36 PM   #21
armoredman

Younggunz, coulda link to the last crime you heard of with a lawful suppressor?
I think there has been very little evil caused by lawfully possessed suppressors, and AZ is moving a bill to allow the use of lawfully held suppressors for hunting.
Does VT recognize the right to full auto? AZ does. We have another raft of pro gun bills making their way through the legislature right now, keeping the tweaks going the right way.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:14 PM   #22
jgcoastie

Sounds like AZ is trying to catch up to AK...

Old February 23, 2012, 10:11 PM   #23
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I think there has been very little evil caused by lawfully possessed suppressors
That's not exactly right. To the best of my knowledge, there have been absolutely no crimes committed with legally owned suppressors.

Quote:
silencers bother me....no point I guess
Silencers serve as a layer of hearing protection. They can also increase accuracy and reduce recoil significantly.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:50 AM   #24
armoredman

That's what I thought, Tom, but I hate to issue a global statement without knowing for a fact...unless I am stating a known fact like CZs are better than Glocks...

jgcoastie, (I shoulda gone Coast Guard, you guys get way more action), AZ is getting better, and definately we were inspired by the Alaska Experiment! But for the lower 48, I'd think we be numero uno.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:56 AM   #25
jimbob86

Quote:
believe I am in the minority, but silencers bother me....no point I guess, worked a double plus haven't slept in a long while. I just always think of the evil they are used for.
The anti-gunners use the very same arguement, only replacing "silencers" with "guns" ........

Tools are not evil, or even dangerous. It takes foolish or evil people for that.