The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 6, 2019, 10:04 PM   #26
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Lint in the barrel isn't much of a concern. My guess is that the gases escaping past the bullet will blow it out before the bullet even contacts it. ...
I usually end up with a few pieces of lint smaller than the head of a pin after cleaning, as checked with a borescope. If I run the borescope down the barrel after 1 shot, she's clean as a whistle.

(now if the barrel is packed solid with lint.... that might be a no-bueno day)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 7, 2019, 11:49 AM   #27
reddog81

Once the bullet starts moving down the barrel all the air inside the barrel will start moving down the barrel. Unless the lint is resting on the bullet it’ll never even touch the bullet. And if the lint is resting on the bullet it won’t make a difference anyways, it’ll just get blown out.

Even if the barrel was full of lint the only thing different you’d probably notice when shooting is the smell of burning lint on the first shot.

You can watch slow motion videos of guns firing and before the bullet exits the barrel you will see a blast of debris exit. This includes any unburnt gun powder from the previous round, gas blow-by from the current round, and of course any lint that happens to be hanging out in there.
Old January 8, 2019, 11:43 AM   #28
Tactical Jackalope

Lint is the only thing that keeps me potentially cleaning my gun once a month (hammer-fired) or every few months (striker-fired) depending on how bad it accumulates. Deodorant gets in there, lint, humidity from my geographical location, etc.

Now would it hinder the weapon? You can't say. Logically we say no, but if it gets in the right spot like say the little door in the VP9, no bang, no click, just thunk. Obviously that'd have to be a bit of a chunk. And yes, I have found a chunk in a duty weapon before. And I have accumulate a good amount in my Glock as well. Again, not likely. But not outside the realm of possibilities. It's cheap insurance to just check your EDC gun every now and again.
Old January 17, 2019, 01:49 PM   #29
stinkeypete

I have a piece of strong twine that I tie to a long rectangle of old clean t-shirt fabric. For “big bore” I get fancy and crimp am old .22 shell on the free end. Poor man’s bore snake. For my .22’s... first of all, don’t clean them but once a brick unless lint or seeds or dry leafy stuff got down the tube... but if you worry, a gentle swipe with that little rag doesn’t seem to unseason my .22 barrels.

When I was skeet shooting, the fellas thought this was genius as after a couple of boxes, you should see all the black sooty crud that wipes out easy when the barrel is still warm... and a boresnake, while better, gets fouled up yet costs maybe ten thousand times more than an old rectangle of t-shirt rag that you can stuff in any ol pocket and throw away when it’s nasty.

I like making stuff. And lint won’t hurt, but I like my stuff neat.