The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 13, 2001, 09:26 AM   #1
Marlin1894

Flashlight

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a good flashlight I can use in tandem with my handgun. I want something around the size of a mini-maglite(bigger is fine). I'd like it to be waterproof, and I want it to be activated by a pushbutton, no switches or twisting. I was told that Laser Products makes a fine flashlight, more specifically the 6Z or 9Z model. Any and all input is welcome. Price is not a factor, I want quality. Thanks,

Marlin

-Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old September 13, 2001, 01:59 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

If price isn't a factor, get the 9Z, buy several spare bulbs, and buy a bunch of batteries. Actually, buy at least two lights, plus bulbs and batteries.

If you go with the 6z or 6P, that is fine, buy two and plenty of bulbs and batteries. Surefire makes good stuff and if money was no object, that would be how I would go. I would not bother with the bulkier rechargable lights.
Old September 13, 2001, 02:13 PM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Surefire 6P or Z or another similarly sized light (of theirs) would be my choice, with a Pelican LED white light for tasks that don't require the enormous output of the SureFires. (Some tasks are difficult to perform with too much light.)

Wandering Thoughts
Old September 13, 2001, 02:24 PM   #4
BK-BHP/1911

Streamlight Jr.

Uses 2 AA batteries (cheap and easily obtainable) has a push button on the rear of the tube. Much brighter than the Maglite 2AA model. It only cost me about $23 Canadian (probably $15 or less in US funds).
Old September 13, 2001, 03:02 PM   #5
Morgan

Consider, also, the rechargeables. On duty, I carry a Streamlight Stinger XT (the one with the pressure switch on the endcap, instead of on the body). So far, I've found it to be VERY bright, durable, and the battery lasts for hours. The only drawback is that it needs to be recharged. On the other hand, you aren't paying a few bucks a pop for those little tiny batteries.

If you're going to carry it on your belt as part of a concealment rig, I'd recommend the Sure-Fire lights, 6 or 9 series. They're very bright as well, and much smaller. I'll often slip a 3p into my pocket when I take the dog for a walk at night, as I haven't found a holster maker who makes a leather magazine/surefire combo carrier yet.
Old September 13, 2001, 03:03 PM   #6
Navy joe

Millenium M3 light from Surefire. Its bigger, but the relieved grip shape, adjustable ergonomics and lanyard make it very gunfriendly. Put the high-test bulb in it and go wild. I guess I have to get one of the 500 lumen ones next. BRIGHT!
Old September 13, 2001, 03:25 PM   #7
Ledbetter

Streamlight Scorpion

I'm extremely happy with mine, I'd buy another in a minute.

Works off lithium batteries. Much cheaper bulb replacement than Sure Fire.
Old September 13, 2001, 06:10 PM   #8
hksigwalther

Have a few Surefires (6Ps) and a few Streamlights (Scorpions). They are essentially the same size with similar light output levels. I like both.

Some flashlight/lighting purist prefer the 6P over the Scorpion because the light pattern of the beam is unbroken from one side to the other. This is due to the light bulb being fixed in the reflector and the reflector design that sends out the light in a manner that gets brighter all the way up to and including the center of the beam. They put the Scorpion in a distant second because of its light pattern. The Scorpion's bulb is not attached to the reflector. This is due to one of its features which is a focusable light beam. The reflector moves in and out along the fixed bulb allowing you to adjust the beam for a tight pattern or a broad one. As a result, there is a 'blind spot' at the very center of the beam. No matter how tightly you focus the beam the duller spot will be there.

There are positives and negatives to each of these setups. For the 6P, you get an excellent center focused light pattern. The shortcoming is that, since the bulb is fixed to the reflector, you will have to buy an entire assembly if you burn a bulb out. (Not sure if Laser has addressed this problem or not with the 6P.) These generally cost ~$15-25/ea. You only get the one in the flashlight when you buy it.

For the Scorpion, you get a slightly lower quality focused light pattern, but the surrounding light around the 'blind spot' is enough to light up that area clear enough for you to see whatever you have the flashlight pointed at. The 'blind spot really isn't that big. You do, however, get a focusable light that you can spread the light out to a much wider pattern. Since the bulb is seperate from the reflector, all you have to buy is a bulb if you burn one out. ~$5-10/2, IIRC. You get a spare when you buy the flashlight.

As for costs, the Scorpion wins. It is $10-25 cheaper than the 6P. It is also rubber coated for better gripping. There was one poster, either here or elsewhere, who didn't like the on/off plunger switch at the rear of the Scorpion because he felt that there is a possibility, in a tactical situation, where you would want to just give a quick burst of on/off light and that you may accidentally press too far and turn the Scorpion's switch to 'on'. Personally, I can't think of a situation I would be in where this would be a concern but I think he was speaking in terms of being a law enforcement officer. The switch in the back of Scorpion has a pretty long travel to the 'on' position. The 6P does have a problem of being accidentally put on by simple pressure on the button in the back by other tools or by being pressed against a hard surface, etc. No matter how far back you unscrew the cap, it still can be turned on. The result is drained batteries, lower bul life. There are a couple of methods to retain the 6P but the cost extra. (By retain I mean a clip or lanyard ring.) The Scorpion has no means of threading a lanyard through it. The 6P also has the option of replacing the stock 65 lumen bulb assembly with a more powerful 120 lumen one, albeit with a shorter bulb life.
Old September 13, 2001, 06:45 PM   #9
[email protected]
Wise Guy

We sell SureFire, Streamlight, Underwater Kinetics and Pelican flashlights. Of them all, I'd recommend a SureFire C2 or C3. It's got everything you could need or want. It's modular as well, so you can upgrade your light output, and all sorts of other neat things.

Someone above recommended an M2 - essentially the only differance between it and the C2 is the shock isolated bezel, which isn't absolutely neccessary, and makes the flashlight a bit larger in diameter, and you have to buy different accessories. With the C2 / C3, if you have a 6P, D2 / D3, Z2 / Z3, G2 you can use the same lamps, filters, and certain holsters.

Kevin
Old September 13, 2001, 08:40 PM   #10
JNewell

Have used all of these; own several 6P, 6Z and M2s. The one that rides with me every day is a 6Z. The 6Z-style body works better for various gun/light holds for me -- YMMV.
Old September 13, 2001, 11:10 PM   #11
Coronach

I use a 9Z on duty and a streamlight scorp off duty. The ONLY thing I dislike about the 9Z is the fact that it WILL turn on seemingly of its own volition. When this occurs in your pants pocket it can lead to an exciting few moments getting it out and shut off.

The Scorp has never turned itself on, and is nearly as good at half (or less) the cost. Decent for weapon holds, but not as good as the 6/9Z.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old September 13, 2001, 11:11 PM   #12
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Just FYI for those who don't follow lights closely - the 6Z has been discontinued and has been replaced by the Z2. New features include an anti-roll head, etc. The reason I like the C2 is because it is the same size as the Z2, has the same combatlight body, but is available with a hard anodized finish and has a pocket clip, which the Z2 doesn't have. Again, it comes down to personal preference. I've got a 6Z I've had for years, and haven't upgraded to a C2 or M2 yet, just because my 6Z still works just dandy (I'm still on the original bulb!).

SureFire makes a hell of a light.

Kevin
Old September 14, 2001, 01:00 AM   #13
blades67

I carry a 6P and a Mini-Maglight. Some times a little light is better than a lot of light.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old September 14, 2001, 12:06 PM   #14
Marlin1894

Thanks for all of the input. I'm going to check out all of your suggestions and pick the one that fits me best. If y'all have any leads on the websites of these guys, I'd appreciate it if you would post them. Thanks again,

Marlin1894

-Thomas Jefferson, 1787
Old September 16, 2001, 05:29 AM   #15
Vern Brink

Surefire all the way!

Lots of good suggestions. I'll give ya what I like without knowing more about your needs or methods of carry. I currently carry a Z2, M3 and my 8X just died so it'll be replaced w/a 9AN. M4 in the car for those "special occasions"

If you want smaller, go w/any of the 6 volt Surefires ie C2, M2, Z2 depending on the features/finish you want. 60 mins of run time with the P60 bulb (65lms). I use the P61 bulb in mine, but the run time is 20 mins for 120 lms. Depends on the balance of runtime vs output you want.

The 9 volt systems will give you more output/runtime depending on which model. I like the M3 (w/the exception of the oval pattern), but it's more costly and you might not need it's features.

If the light is not going to see a lot of use, stick w/the lithium powered lights. If it's going to be used a lot/regularly - think about an 8NX/8AX or 9AN, with another lithium powered light for back-up.

Bottom line, Surefire makes the best flashlight out there. If your life depends on it, it's the only light to have

Try www.uws.com - decent prices, good customer service, never had a problem with them
www.arizonagunrunners.com - good selection/reputation, never used em myself
www.botachtactical.com - good prices, spotty service/reputation - I've used em a lot w/good and bad luck