The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 8, 2017, 01:27 PM   #26
ThomasT

My buddy bought a Shilo Sharps in 45-90. He gave me a sticker that came with it that says" The recreation of the gun that made the west safe for Winchester". I hate to tell him but the Hawken and other big bore front stuffers made the west safe Sharps.
Old April 8, 2017, 08:51 PM   #27
Scorch

Funny. But most of the "big Sharps" rifles came along after the Winchester. You know, Winchester 1866, Winchester 1873, Sharps 1874 . . .
Old April 8, 2017, 10:43 PM   #28
ThomasT

It shows here the Sharps predated the Henry/Winchester rifles. Bit I still don't think the "Won The West" for Winchester.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Sharps

His patent date was 1848 and that beats the Henry by several years.
Old April 8, 2017, 11:33 PM   #29
James K
Member In Memoriam

In the real world, "the gun that won the west" was a trapdoor Springfield, slung over the shoulder or on the saddle boot of a U.S. soldier, one of a long line of men riding or marching westward, the force of an expanding empire.

Jim
Old April 9, 2017, 03:24 PM   #30
dgludwig

For a lot of people, the term "winning the west" meant ridding the west of hostile Indians. Repeating rifles played a big role in said extermination. I'm pretty sure General Custer and his crew would have liked to have had a few more Winchesters on their side at the US Army's 1876 "Waterloo".
Old April 10, 2017, 08:10 PM   #31
Buzzcook

That would be the US Armies 1876 Cannae.
Old April 10, 2017, 08:33 PM   #32
Jim Watson

Quote:
I'm pretty sure General Custer and his crew would have liked to have had a few more Winchesters on their side
His outfit had turned in their Spencers for Trapdoors. I am sure the repeaters would have been a great help but they were wearing out and the company was out of business, bought up by Winchester to eliminate a competitor and pick up some machine tools cheap.
Old April 10, 2017, 10:39 PM   #33
RoughDivider

Just out of curiosity since I inherited one I really need to slug the bore for where does the Remington Rolling Block come into the West?
Old April 10, 2017, 11:55 PM   #34
Jim Watson

There were a few USGI Rolling Blocks but the Army went with the Trapdoor because it started out as a conversion of muzzleloaders and even when new made used a lot of common parts and machinery.

Cattleman Nelson Story armed his drovers with Remingtons but the timeline suggests they were the early "Split Breech" carbines in .56-52 Spencer rimfire, not the Rolling Block .50 usually described.

There were Remingtons among the buffalo hunters and the Remington Creedmoors shot alongside the Sharps in competition.

But Remington's main customers for the Rolling Block were foreign armies and most of what you see now are in various metric calibers from Latin America and Egypt.
Old April 11, 2017, 12:05 AM   #35
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
It shows here the Sharps predated the Henry/Winchester rifles. Bit I still don't think the "Won The West" for Winchester..........His patent date was 1848 and that beats the Henry by several years.
Howdy Again

The early Sharps models used a paper cartridge and a percussion cap. This was the type that was used in the Civil War. The first Sharps rifle that used metallic cartridges was the model 1869, nine years after the 1860 Henry. (Yes, Henry production did not actually start until 1862, but still earlier than the first Sharps cartridge rifle.) The most commonly recognized Sharps, the one manufactured by most of the replica companies today, was the Model 1874, which actually first appeared in 1871.

And I say again, the phrase 'The Gun That Won The West', was an advertising slogan dreamed up by Winchester about the Model 1873 lever gun. Whether it is true or not, it was just an advertising slogan.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; April 11, 2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old April 11, 2017, 06:19 AM   #36
Mike Irwin
Staff

Everyone knows that the gun that TRULY won the west was a Flobert parlor pistol.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 11, 2017, 08:17 AM   #37
Sure Shot Mc Gee

It's hard to say which specific rifle/s won the West as there so many available.

If one had the money to purchase back in the mid 1850s a Springfield musket could be considered.
Old April 11, 2017, 01:13 PM   #38
ThomasT

Quote:
The early Sharps models used a paper cartridge and a percussion cap. This was the type that was used in the Civil War. The first Sharps rifle that used metallic cartridges was the model 1869, nine years after the 1860 Henry. (Yes, Henry production did not actually start until 1862, but still earlier than the first Sharps cartridge rifle.) The most commonly recognized Sharps, the one manufactured by most of the replica companies today, was the Model 1874, which actually first appeared in 1871.
No matter if its a paper or metal cartridge. A Sharps is still a Sharps. Cabelas used have the Pedersoli made Sharps that took the paper cartridge. I sorta wish I would have bought one back then. They may still carry them but I have stopped buying rifles.
Old April 22, 2017, 05:57 PM   #39
Husqvarna

and why is "won the west" something positive?
Old April 22, 2017, 06:40 PM   #40
walks with gun

We should know the rifle that won the west was the model 92 Winchester from before the civil war to the early 1900's. I know because I've seen all the movies.
Old April 23, 2017, 05:47 PM   #41
dgludwig

Quote:
I guess you would rather have "lost the west"?
Old April 23, 2017, 08:57 PM   #42
Armybrat

Quote:
Because it's better than living all crowded up back East.
Old April 24, 2017, 05:51 AM   #43
Husqvarna

Doesn't matter to me dgludvig

But i guess the native americans and buffaloes would complain

Dont hear monikers like steamrolled europe about the k98...
Old April 24, 2017, 06:39 AM   #44
Targa

Sure it matters to you or you wouldn't have brought it up with the flippant K98 remark for comparison, which is fine but at least admit to it.
I hope your ok with the M1 Garands nickname of the gun that won the war.

Last edited by Targa; April 24, 2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old April 24, 2017, 11:22 AM   #45
dgludwig

Quote:
But i guess the native americans and buffaloes would complain
To the victor go the spoils, Husqvarna. Besides that, beef tastes better than buffalo.
Old April 24, 2017, 04:45 PM   #46
eastbank

for one thing the indians were not great conservitors, as there were not great numbers of them, they just moved to another area. and they were not big on peace either as they warred on each other all the time. and their are no native americans, they came here just like all others that came later. only on foot. the sad thing about the indians is the way the late commers and the government treated them(and still is). eastbank.