The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 5, 2013, 12:05 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Looking for help in Columbia, TN with Revolver check out

I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am looking at a revolver on gunbroker that appears to fit my needs(shooter) and budget(low) about perfectly. The problem is the seller doesn't post any real info on the gun and doesn't respond to questions. Decent amount of feedback from many buyers(200+), but sprinkled in the mix are a number of "item did not function and return not accepted" or "item not at all as described" posts. Looking through the sellers auctions it is quite clear they do not put much description on ANY of their items and return policy is labeled "as is no return." From the four pictures posted the gun looks as though it is in reasonable condition, but I was wondering if there is someone local who might not mind dropping by their retail location and taking a look at it. Simple things like lock-up, chamber peening, pitting, condition of trade mark engraving, etc. I will likely have the dun refinished, so the apparent finish wear is no big deal, but I would like to know if there is pitting not shown in the pictures and if the action appears functional or not.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:25 PM   #2
SteelChickenShooter

No real dilemma at all. Forget the greed or emotion. Regard this like any contract. One party is not well known, is not responsive and has mixed reviews- so walk away and find that next deal that does feel right.
Sure- you might lose out on an item of interest. But someplace you might find another deal that works better. I do this same thing with coin collecting. It doesn't matter what the item is at all. If not confident in the seller- leave it and go from there.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:58 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

You want me to be calm and logical about a C&R gun I have been trying to track down for the better part of a year?
Old May 7, 2013, 08:28 AM   #4
PetahW

Instead of getting blind-sided ? Yeah.

Your $$ / your choice...............You can always proceed, then P&M about it here, if you get shafted.

To put it into perspective, over the years I've sold a LOT of guns online, and have always been instantly responsive to any questions, sent many clear nad/or detailed pics, and fully disclosed whatever the condition or issues a particular gun was in or had.

IMO, to do anything less is an indication of possible fraud/dishonesty.

Last edited by PetahW; May 7, 2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:29 AM   #5
jglsprings

Quote:
You want me to be calm and logical about a C&R gun I have been trying to track down for the better part of a year?
LOL! Yeah, I know what you mean. But, I'm afraid that I'd pass as well.

Especially if it is a gun that you have been hunting for awhile. I'd wait until I had a more responsive / better rated / absolute return policy. My "guy" has a no question asked return policy - that I've never had to use - and he gets all of my return business if possible. I'd pass.

Tell us how it winds up.

Commas save lives...
Old May 7, 2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

"You want me to be calm and logical about a C&R gun I have been trying to track down for the better part of a year?"

Instead of the possible alternative of losing your money and getting stuck with a non-functional piece of crap?

You need to answer that one for yourself.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 7, 2013, 01:11 PM   #7
22-rimfire

I would call them. I would be careful on this one.
Old May 7, 2013, 01:29 PM   #8
newfrontier45

Tricky situation. Sellers should be more forthcoming about their wares. Makes me suspicious. I would've been willing to take a look but I'm still about two hours from Columbia.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:19 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Well, I've watched it re-list 3 times b/c reserve not met.
I'll just have to wait around a little longer.
I called the shop. I wasn't reassured, but I think it is poor service and laziness for the most part, not malice.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; May 7, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:27 PM   #10
Carmady

I was looking for a particular gun and one turned up on GB. The seller's description included something like "feel free to ask questions and for more pics." I asked a question and requested a pic of the ratchet/star part of the revolver, twice.

No answers and no pics = no bid

Life goes on.