The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 5, 2013, 06:20 PM   #1
chrisintexas

trigger pull weight of handguns

Does anyone know any web site that lists trigger pull weight of various handguns including revolvers? Thanks
Old April 5, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
BigJimP

No, not that I know of ...but its because there are too many variables...

Some mfg's websites -- like Sig Sauer....will tell you what the spec on the trigger pulls are...../ but while a gun you order may be close to the spec in the catalog...you'll have to measure each gun / and I find it varies quite a bit + or minus 1/4 to 3/4 of a pound often....

A lot of us ....on higher end guns....will specify the trigger pull we want on a gun when we order it. Some mfg's, like Freedom Arms revolvers... will say their trigger pulls are typically 4.25 lbs...but if you want to pay for a honed action they will take it down to 3.0 lbs...or whatever you want in between when you order the gun.

Sometimes a good cleaning / changing the lubes or grease on a stock gun ...and/or changing the main spring, hammer strut spring on a gun can change the trigger pull as much as 1/2 lb...plus or minus depending on what you want....

On older guns...even very collectable models of S&W revolvers or Colt revolvers....I find trigger pulls both double and single action are all over the board...
Old April 6, 2013, 06:52 PM   #3
black mamba

I bought a used S&W model 57, 4" nickel back in the early '80s that had the best pulls I ever felt on a handgun. The single action was 2-3/4 pounds, and the double action was 8 pounds without any stacking, just a smooth pull through to letoff.

It was burglarized from my home about 20 years ago and never recovered.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:02 AM   #4
LED

Not to my knowledge but RK Campbell does and publishes his own trigger pull measurements. There are other independent researchers am sure.