The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2012, 02:35 AM   #1
farmerboy

A thought

Just a thought but how many of us chat on here about how much ammo we have handloaded or store bought and have to wander if Big Brother chimes in and is paying any attention or feel not?
Old February 20, 2012, 03:01 AM   #2
Lost Sheep

I never give it a thought. I don't have a stockpile, but shoot all I load. Maybe that's short-sighted though.

I thought about extending my answer to this post but reconsidered on account of it being personal information.

Lost Sheep
Old February 20, 2012, 03:20 AM   #3
TennJed

I don't believe everything of what I read on the internet and I am sure the govt. feels the same way.

Some average Joe punding his chest on the internet about how must ammo he has, is about like a fishing story. I believe you, I have no reason not to, but it is not enough proof to move you to the top of my "must know list when the SHTF"

It is not that I think everybody is lying, but it is just a bunch of guys sitting around shooting the bull. It would take a fair amount of energy for "big brother" to browse the forums and take note of potential people that might have a lot of ammo. Then trying to track down that person and verify this info.
Old February 20, 2012, 03:20 AM   #4
dacaur

The sheer number of websites like this, and the sheer number of daily posts that "big brother" would have to go through to get that information, if they even wanted it, added to the fact that not everyone is honest about it anyway... people who say they have hundreds of thousands of rounds stockpiled might really be typing from their mothers basement, wishing they owned so much as a BB gun, and people who say they shoot all they load might actualy have huge stockpiles, who is to say?

Besides that, I dont actualy see all that much bragging about stockpiles, perhaps you're not the first one with that thought?
Old February 20, 2012, 03:22 AM   #5
Mueller

Between Tax forms, Social Security, Drivers License etc they know quite a lot already and I imagine that they do keep a finger on the pulse so to speak with "Key" phrase search...So as long as you refrain from indicating your intent to take over the free world, even if it is your own little chunk of it, I don't think they really care....
Old February 20, 2012, 10:03 AM   #6
Jimro

Well, so far no one has stopped my bulk purchases of bullets, powder, or primers from going through. Of course the only real way to save in this hobby is to buy in bulk, so I expect that there are a LOT of people buying in bulk.

But remember, don't pay cash for coffee, cause that is the one action that will put you on their radar!

Jimro
Old February 20, 2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Sevens

It's not even in the hemisphere of illegal to stockpile ammunition.

In any case, some psycho that is hell bent on doing evil deeds isn't going to make his mark with a ton of ammo. He's much more likely to do it with some manner of explosives, is he not? How many shots fired in some of the mass shootings in history -- a couple hundred, if that? You are talking about a hundred dollar purchase from Wal-Mart.
Old February 20, 2012, 12:04 PM   #8
Uncle Buck

I believe that what most of us consider a stock-pile is considered pretty low compared to some of the groups that are watched.

Not too much on this board would catch the eyes of the government, mainly because once the moderators and members see someone advocating illegal activities, they get shut down real quick.

I know some of the anti-government sites and the people who post on them are probably watched.

My 75,000 (OK, it is closer to 4,000) rounds of ammunition, for 7,500 different (OK, it closer to 15) fire arms? Not outside the norm, for reloaders and shooters. I know gun stores that more ammo and guns than I do.

I shoot what I reload pretty quickly.
Old February 20, 2012, 05:53 PM   #9
thedaddycat

What is a lot of ammo, anyhow? If you had a couple thousand or even a couple of tens of thousands of rounds of .22 LR that is one thing. If you have a couple of tens of thousands of .50 BMG, well that might be another story...

I only ever used to buy ammo and shoot it up, but I always saved the brass. I have a couple hundred rounds for my 6.5X55, enough that I would have plenty to shoot even if no more ammo was around. Now that I'm getting started with reloading I did the brass prep and holy cow, I have about 600 once fired brass. If I were to reload it all, I'd have about three decades or more of ammo for that rifle.
Old February 20, 2012, 08:23 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I never realy gave it any thought. Though honestly I do not realy care. I remeber that I am posting on a public forum. If I did not want it know I would not post it.
Old February 20, 2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Stock pile why?

Quote:
chat on here about how much ammo we have handloaded or store bought and have to wander if Big Brother chimes in and is paying any attention or feel not?
Since I reload and I buy components in small bulk units. I see no need for myself to have more than 50 rounds or less of any one caliber on hand. Reason being: I shoot nothing but Sporting type manually operated bolt actions. To answer your Big Brother question: --In Doing so, {stock piling} why would anyone chance being a suspect under the Patriot Act? if it indeed may encompass: Larger than normal stockpiles of ammunition per individual need?
Old February 20, 2012, 08:37 PM   #12
1Hobie

I enjoy loading during the winter and have several different calibers building up around me.
I also got into buying this and that .22lr ammo for my 15-22s. Somehow, it kind of snow balled on me.
The one thing that I've noticed is the "show us what ya got" threads pertaining to what you got for guns. Those bother me more because you're being asked to show your firearms to a world audience. I don't respond to those but here's my stash of .22lr as of onset of winter:

Hobie

Btw, picture fuzzy on purpose
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ammo resized bigger.JPG (70.1 KB, 31 views)
Old February 20, 2012, 09:56 PM   #13
bossman

I reload and if I can get my componemt's I'm not worried. I think to many worry about conspiracy by big brother.

When the going gets tough, I just open another beer.
Old February 20, 2012, 10:35 PM   #14
joneb

Quote:
have to wander if Big Brother chimes in and is paying any attention
I'm sure it does, pay with cash while you still can.