The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 2, 2011, 02:21 AM   #1
deepcore

Neck turning for factory stock chambers?

Is neck turning for factory stock rifles worth the added work?
Old December 2, 2011, 06:30 AM   #2
Tim R

Bench Rest people think so, but they do odd things with animals any ways. If your brass is way off, then it might help. Other wise I don't think there would be enough gain with a factory barrel to make it worth your time. You might gain more by weighing cases. IMHO. I do know weighing brass for the 600 yard line helps some. But it's a PITA to keep the weighed brass from the non weighed brass when shooting a match.
Old December 2, 2011, 07:34 AM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I neck turn my 243 brass for a stock chamber. BUT, I do not turn the entire neck. I turn it to knock down the "high spots". When I find I have taken material off of about 60% (surface area, NOT thickness) of the neck I will stop. I do this to ensure I have a more uniform bullet pull out of the case (in other words neck tension on the bullet is more uniform all the way around). The reason I dont take material off the entire neck is that I don't want the neck to be really undersized and too much slop.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old December 2, 2011, 09:39 AM   #4
243winxb

Outside Neck Turning for Factory Chambers

Quote:
Only if you do all benchrest prep of the brass. Use Fl sizing bushing dies & size only 1/2 of the neck, allowing the unsized part to center the round in the chamber. Takes about 3 firings in both of my 243win, Rem factory riflles. Turn some brass, load with standard dies, you might ever see an imporovement with this method, but best to sort the brass by weight after preping. Watch neck tension.

Last edited by 243winxb; December 2, 2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: added Turn some....................
Old December 2, 2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Scorch

Quote:
Not really. Turn the necks to clean up high spots, as mentioned above. Factory chambers are typically oversize, and that includes the necks, so thinning the brass at the neck does nothing for keeping the neck aligned with the bore.
Old December 2, 2011, 12:02 PM   #6
wncchester

Neck turning for SAAMI chambers isn't highly effective but it can help make the necks more concentric and that's not bad.

BR guys usually have necks too tight to accept 'normal' case necks so they must turn to chamber their ammo, sometimes the necks must be as thin as 8 thousant of an inch. They also strive to turn so there is very little chamber neck clearance, sometimes less than 1 thou. Most factory chambers have 10-15 thou clearance so thinning necks more than the bare miniumum needed to even 'em up just a bit simply makes an already poor fit even worse.

I full length turn my necks but only to skim off enough to make the inside and outside cylinders reasonably concentric, like the 60-80% mentioned above.
Has neck turning 'helped' my accuracy? Not a lot. There's a finite limit to the accuracy potential of any barrel, especially factory barrels, so going to the extremes of case prep used by BR people is pointless. I do some of it but I know I'm spinning my wheels!
Old December 2, 2011, 09:00 PM   #7
deepcore

Thanks guys.
Old December 2, 2011, 09:23 PM   #8
mrawesome22

You can also turn necks to do away with the need to use the expander ball.