The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 16, 2010, 07:21 PM   #1
M14

Solvent on bore snake?

I recently bought a bore snake. The directions do not mention applying solvent or oil to the snake before using it. I did oil the bore after using it. What do you guys do? I don't want to start a discussion of bore snakes versus traditional cleaning methods.
Old November 17, 2010, 09:34 AM   #2
wogpotter

I wet the part before the bristle brush well with a gentle cleaner, something like Hoppes #9, (the strong high speed low drag ones with lots of ammonia rot the brush bristles) & then wash it as soon as possible after use.
Old November 17, 2010, 10:47 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

There are directions with the bore snakes?
How many steps can that have, 3? Apply solvent to snake, drop brass weight down bore; pull through bore till clean

Anyway,apply solvent to the snake. Otherwise there's no carrier for the powder fouling,and no way to remove copper fouling. You wouldn't just use dry patches with a regular rod, why run the snake dry?
Old November 17, 2010, 11:12 AM   #4
zippy13

As M14 mentioned, the instructions don't reference using any fluids. I give the bore a shot of solvent and the snake's floss area a shot of oil.
Old November 17, 2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Webleymkv

I apply a bit of solvent to the portion of the snake that goes in before the brush and a bit of oil to the loop at the end of the snake.
Old November 17, 2010, 12:25 PM   #6
wogpotter

Quote:
the instructions don't reference using any fluids.
Interesting. They used to back when I got mine. hat was where I got the info to wet the portion before & the brush itself.

I wonder why the reference was changed? Was it when BoreSnake, the original maker, got taken over? Maybe because of the brush eating issue?
Old November 17, 2010, 12:48 PM   #7
divil

I can also confirm that they don't mention using solvent or anything like that in the instructions. I thought it was strange too.
Old November 17, 2010, 05:16 PM   #8
zippy13

Quote:
I wonder why the reference was changed? Was it when BoreSnake, the original maker, got taken over? Maybe because of the brush eating issue?
Were earlier Bore Snakes made with bronze brushes instead of plastic?
Old November 17, 2010, 06:09 PM   #9
mumbo719

Currently Eezox
Old November 17, 2010, 07:21 PM   #10
Ledbetter

I always wet the brush with some Breakfree CLP.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old November 17, 2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Toolman

I like using boresnakes.

I have used breakfree on boresnakes for all my guns for several years & had no problems. I shoot almost every weekend. One thing I do, is I have a boresnake that is weapon specific for my 'critical' guns. I only use that particular 'snake' on that particular gun, nothing else.
I'm not a match shooter. I don't swab the bore after each shot or handload each round while at the range. I shoot for my own recreation/enjoyment. It's not a job or competition to me. I compete against myself.
At the very least, once a year I give all my guns the traditional detailed bore cleaning.
I recently read that there's a new boresnake on the market....haven't tried it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
Old November 17, 2010, 09:23 PM   #12
shogan191

I've never seen a boresnake with plastic bristles.

I use solvent in the barrel and after using the snake a couple of times, I apply oil on a cotton buffer and finish the barrel.
Old November 18, 2010, 08:57 AM   #13
wogpotter

Quote:
Were earlier Bore Snakes made with bronze brushes instead of plastic?
I've had several under the original BoreSnake brand & they all had metallic bristles. I guess brass, or bronze because I had one damaged by the aggressive ammonia cleaner I used. I recently replaced the .22 one I keep in the case with a current model & I just checked now. It also has metallic bristles. The brush design seems different now though with 2 short brush sections instead of one long(er) one? No cheap bloody plastic here!
Old November 23, 2010, 02:02 PM   #14
KBP

Boresnake- gimmic or improvement?

I just bought my first boresnake in almost 50 years of shooting. What is the big deal? I don't see and big benefit other than maybe cleaning out cobwebs in an old barrel! If you put solvent on one part and oil on the other part of the snake, what you got is a messy rope that you have to clean! Isn't it easier to run a few patches thru the barrel with solvent then oil and throw them out? Why spend $10-$20 for a foot or two of rope? Kind of reminds me of soap on a rope, only for rifles! Ken
Old November 23, 2010, 02:15 PM   #15
thesheepdog

I use some break free, then run the BS through till the barrel sparkles.
Old November 25, 2010, 06:28 PM   #16
camelshark69

To KBP

The great thing about bore snakes are that they clean so efficiciently. run it through your barrel twice and ur done. no need to deal with patches. Boresnakes, id say, are one of the best inventions. honestly i havent cleaned mine in over a year and they clean my barrels like new everytime.
Savage .22; Remington 700, .308 SPC tactical.
Old December 4, 2010, 05:13 AM   #17
Combatshop

Quote:
I just bought my first boresnake in almost 50 years of shooting. What is the big deal? I don't see and big benefit other than maybe cleaning out cobwebs in an old barrel! If you put solvent on one part and oil on the other part of the snake, what you got is a messy rope that you have to clean! Isn't it easier to run a few patches thru the barrel with solvent then oil and throw them out? Why spend $10-$20 for a foot or two of rope? Kind of reminds me of soap on a rope, only for rifles! Ken
No its not as good as traditional cleaning but its a great quick way to clean. No field stripping means no re-zeroing. Great for light shooting. Heavy shooters should clean using traditional methods every so often.

I use with Breakfree too.