The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2009, 04:00 PM   #1
KLRANGL

getting a imp cyl barrel for 870 worth it?

So for personal defense, I always figured my handgun would be the most practical, so I've spent all my time training there. But I'm at a point where I'm comfortable enough with my handgun that I think I can start branching out into the SD shotgun world.

I have an 870 express synthetic 18" that I put a two shot extension on, and I have some ghost ring sights on the way before I go out and start taking classes with it. But I've noticed that all the LE 870s come with improved cylinder choked barrels, where my 870 express just has the cylinder.
I don't want to mount the front sight to the cylinder barrel and regret not having the improved cylinder barrel later, but midwayusa sells the improved cylinder barrel for $160.
Would it really be worth sucking it up and laying down the $160 for the new barrel before putting the sights on? I can afford the $160, I just don't want to do it if its not really needed, so I'm looking for your guys opinions.
Thanks
Old December 8, 2009, 04:11 PM   #2
crashm1

Not at HD distances unless you have a really, really big house and if that was the case you probably wouldn't be asking you'd just go buy one.
Old December 8, 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
Dustin0

For SD cylinder is just fine. I wouldnt mess with changing it.
Old December 8, 2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Lee Lapin

A CYL bore barrel is as versatile as you need and need not offer any limitations in range. You can choose your patterns pretty much just by changing loads, if your barrel is like most. The 18" CYL bore barrel on my favorite house gun here will deliver 4" patterns of FliteControl 9-pellet Federal LE 127 00 at 25 yards/75 feet.

Who needs choke?

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 8, 2009, 04:31 PM   #5
oneounceload

A cylinder bore has .000 constriction; an IC bore has .010 constriction. At HD distances (about 21'), the difference in pattern spread might be an inch or two. Where you will really notice the difference is when you start getting to 21 yards, so IMO, I wouldn't worry about it
Old December 8, 2009, 05:37 PM   #6
zippy13

You're fine with what you have.
I believe Remington made the assumption that law enforcement action could involve longer ranges than those encountered in typical home defense scenarios, consequently they put a little bit of choke in the LE version. As Lee's observation suggests, your choice of ammo can compensate for the lack of a choke.
Old December 8, 2009, 06:17 PM   #7
KLRANGL

Quote:
The 18" CYL bore barrel on my favorite house gun here will deliver 4" patterns of FliteControl 9-pellet Federal LE 127 00 at 25 yards/75 feet.
Well that's reassuring, since that's exactly the load I use atm

Thanks a lot guys, I'll forgo the barrel and put the money to practice ammo where its belongs...